Reinforcement Phase Problem?

Empires in Arms is the computer version of Australian Design Group classic board game. Empires in Arms is a seven player game of grand strategy set during the Napoleonic period of 1805-1815. The unit scale is corps level with full diplomatic options

Moderator: MOD_EIA

SoulBlazer

Reinforcement Phase Problem?

Post by SoulBlazer »

Okay, stupid newbie question here....I've looked in the manual and game files and thought I was doing this right, but it's just not working.

I'm a new player and trying a game as Spain. I have the basics worked out, but I use the default load pattern for units and supply depots at game start. If I check the Available Forces screen, I see units there, both Inf and Ships, that I SHOULD be able to deploy. But the game won't let me.

What happens is during the Reinforcement phase I go into that screen, click a unit so it has a red border, right click to exit the screen, left click on the provience containing the armies or the port containing ships, and try to add units. It either says 'no unit here' or 'no factors available'.

And I can't figure out how to raise new units either....I have manpower and money, but when I click the button for that, again, it says it can't be done.

And for THAT matter, speaking of money, I'm always broke after the first month...I have income, where is it all going to? The Spanish army and navy is'nt THAT large, and the troops are staying at home, as well as the ships.

Sorry for the newbish questions. The game is rather complicated and these things I just can't seem to figure out.
The US Navy could probaly win a war without coffee, but would prefer not to try -- Samuel Morison
Jimmer

RE: Reinforcement Phase Problem?

Post by Jimmer »

I have a guess as to what's happening to your money: You are not foraging your troops, but paying for them via supply. Probably at a distance. Use the "auto-forage" button (lower-left corner) at the very end of your land phase. It will forage everything that can safely forage, plus it will tell you how much those that are left will cost you.

Regarding the other problem, I need more details. You said you "use the default load pattern", but then later are trying to add more units. The "default load pattern" loads all of your units for you. There should be none left to place. So, something is not adding up.

What month is it, when you are trying to "raise new units"?
At LAST! The greatest campaign board game of all time is finally available for the PC. Can my old heart stand the strain?
SoulBlazer

Post by SoulBlazer »

Thanks for the response.

About the foraging....I AM using the auto-forage button at the end of the land phase.  It usually says my costs after that are 12-15.  Well, my income is about 37, so I SHOULD be getting some cash, should'nt I?  I'm not sure where the rest is going to.  The interface of the game is not very friendly, to say the least.

I'm using the Default load pattern right now when I start the game so I can jump into game play and don't need to mess around with placing units.  But when I go to the Available Forces screen, it still lists units there....about 5 Inf, 4 ships, and a leader who will be available in Feb.  That's why I'm saying I have units left to place.  At the least that leader who comes online in Feb.

And how the heck do I build new units and ships?  I can't see a option for it for any month.  I'm not making any money, but not losing what I have left either.

Thanks. :)
The US Navy could probaly win a war without coffee, but would prefer not to try -- Samuel Morison
Jimmer

Post by Jimmer »

You should probably post these questions in the Tech Support forum. I don't have any more answers. Maybe someone from Matrix will see it there and give it a whirl.
At LAST! The greatest campaign board game of all time is finally available for the PC. Can my old heart stand the strain?
pzgndr

Post by pzgndr »

I don't understand the issue with the default load pattern.  For the other stuff, you need to review the section about the Economic Phase, which occurs every three months and not every turn.  That's when you collect manpower and money, and can then buy units and ships which then appear on later turns.  For new units, you have to buy a unit first to be able to place it later during a Reinforcement Phase.

Read the manual.  Review Murat's tutorials.  There just aren't any good shortcuts to learning this game all at once.  Until the tutorial appears...
Bill Macon
Empires in Arms Developer
Strategic Command Developer
Kwik E Mart

Post by Kwik E Mart »

short answer...if you didn't buy it in the economics phase (ie corps counters or fleet counters) you can't place them in the reinforcement phase...this game requires some advanced planning in that regard. As stated above, the economics phase only occurs every three months...

hope that helps
cheers
Kirk Lazarus: I know who I am. I'm the dude playin' the dude, disguised as another dude!
Ron Swanson: Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets.

Grognot

Post by Grognot »

1- Counters.

Counters != infantry, ships, et al.  They represent corps and fleets -- from a fixed order of battle.   That is, those are the corps and fleets you'll be limited to for the entire game.

They're not particularly useful unless you actually have troops and ships to put in them.

2- Income.

Income shown is received only during economic phases, which take place every three months starting in March.  Don't triple it.  Budget accordingly.

--
Not a grognard.
Not an optimizer. It's a game to me, not a job.
Jimmer

Post by Jimmer »

I've just re-read your opening post, and I may now know what the reinforcing problem might be: You may have been given control of a minor country with forces, and thus have to set that nation up. If so, check may diplomatic status screen (12th button from the left at the very top of the interface) and see if you have any Free States you didn't know about.
Ralegh

Post by Ralegh »

a) Deploy Units: During setup you can use any of them. After that, you have to buy corps and fleets in an eco phase, and then have the right to deploy them for the following 3 months.
When you click on the area you want the counter in, you should see the new counter in that area...

b) Income is QUARTERLY. 12-15 cash for month for supply is HUGE. Build some depots under the corps to reduce the costs (supply costs mroe the further youa re from a depot). You CANNOT draw supply from a city without a depot being there...
HTH
Steve/Ralegh

Return to “Empires in Arms the Napoleonic Wars of 1805 - 1815”