Houserules

Commander – Europe at War Gold is the first in a series of high level turn based strategy games. The first game spans WW2, allowing players to control the axis or allied forces through the entire war in the European Theatre.
BodyBag

Houserules

Post by BodyBag »

I find that when you play Axis on even difficulty, FoW, oil use and use of reserch, I have no problem in taking Paris, Moscow and Perm in 1942. With USSR out of the war, you can just spend the rest of the time beating up on convoys and wipe out the Allies weak invasions in Normandy,- boring!
Or maybe invade Britain and take Canada,- pretty easy at this stage.

So I made up some houserules to make it a challenge to play Axis.

1: Max. advantage to the Allies

2: Axis can only reserch in General,- no more high-tech Panzers, Stukas, U-boats and Battleships in '41-'42!

This is also more realistic, because basicly the German units were not that more hi-tech than the USSR units in 41', - the Germans were just superbly led, had better organisation & tactics and the troops had combat-experience and were full of confidence after the victories i Europe.

It didn't help that Stalin had purged all the Russian competent officers in the 30', which explains how the Red Army made such a poor performance in the start of the war. But they learned...

Anyway, I hope that I will have more of a challenge on the East Front and mayby be bogged down in front of Moscow :-)

Achtung Panzer!

Cheers,
In politics, stupidity is not a handicap
Napoleon Bonaparte
panzers

RE: Houserules

Post by panzers »

ORIGINAL: BodyBag

I find that when you play Axis on even difficulty, FoW, oil use and use of reserch, I have no problem in taking Paris, Moscow and Perm in 1942. With USSR out of the war, you can just spend the rest of the time beating up on convoys and wipe out the Allies weak invasions in Normandy,- boring!
Or maybe invade Britain and take Canada,- pretty easy at this stage.

So I made up some houserules to make it a challenge to play Axis.

1: Max. advantage to the Allies

2: Axis can only reserch in General,- no more high-tech Panzers, Stukas, U-boats and Battleships in '41-'42!

This is also more realistic, because basicly the German units were not that more hi-tech than the USSR units in 41', - the Germans were just superbly led, had better organisation & tactics and the troops had combat-experience and were full of confidence after the victories i Europe.

It didn't help that Stalin had purged all the Russian competent officers in the 30', which explains how the Red Army made such a poor performance in the start of the war. But they learned...

Anyway, I hope that I will have more of a challenge on the East Front and mayby be bogged down in front of Moscow :-)

Achtung Panzer!

Cheers,
Ummm, seems to me that is kind of accounted for in this game, especially the organization part. But, with that being said, I see your point a little. If you just play without saving the game I think it pretty much evens out. I am playing the axis right now woth the allies to the max, and they have hordes andhordes of armies, and it won't belong before I get overwhelmed and I am saving a lot before battles. I mean, the UK had a better war effort than Germany during the Fall of France and France itself was about 125% when she fell. So I respectfully dissagree with the no tech but genera theory, although you don't have much of a choice anyway but to invest high with industry just so you can accomaday for the sub 100 war effort. I'm at June 22 1941 and before I even attack, Russia almost has the same war effort as Germany.

Return to “Commander - Europe at War Gold”