Victory hexes won't save

Trade tips and tricks, workarounds maps, and graphics mods. Why certain scenarios or campaigns are favorites, or how to improve stinkers. Attach your work to share/critique.

Moderator: MOD_SPWaW

StephanFH

Victory hexes won't save

Post by StephanFH »

Hello guys,
I am making my first attempt to set up a PBEM with a custom map and custom redefined victory hexes.
I used the in game scenario editor to modify the map terrain a bit and all those changes saved out to a loadable custom map file just fine.
I then used the scenario editor and went into deploy, changed start lines, and set up 20 new victory objectives (some strategic, some turn based with new point values). The manual didn't seem to cover this but I thought I had it figured out as not rocket science. I saved and left the editor and exited spwaw. I then went in to PBEM\Battle\Custom Map:As Designed.
The original 20 victory hexes from the map designer are there instead of my new ones.
I must be making a very simple mistake, but I obviously still don't know how to set custom Objectives.
A reply or a pointer to the FAQ I can't find would be much appreciated.
Thanks
Steve

"the onset of Bayonets in the hands of the Valiant is irresistible..."
Gentleman Johnny Burgoyne
tracer

RE: Victory hexes won't save

Post by tracer »

As I understood your explanation, it sounds like it should be working. If you'd like to send the map, I'd be glad to trouble-shoot the problem (jimnsb@yahoo.com).
Jim NSB ImageImage
StephanFH

Post by StephanFH »

Thanks Tracer, I'll send it over. I tried it again today with a fresh start and got the same result. I am simply not saving, or re-loading something correctly. [:@]
tracer

Post by tracer »

I opened the map in the Editor, saved it, then hit the (player-1) deploy button and set the VHs (all 20; various points, some neutral, some 'per turn'). Then I saved the scenario, answered 'yes' upon exiting and saved it again (same slot)*.

Started a PBEM (custom map; as designed) and during purchase hit 'view map' ...all VHs were in the proper locations, and had the correct parameters. Purchased and deployed both sides, and started player-1's first turn: VHs were still OK.

You could also try setting the nations & dates you expect the map to be played under in the Editor (keep in mind SPWAW sometimes 'flips' starting-sides for certain nation/date combos).

If your VHs still aren't 'sticking', please let me know and I'll re-check the steps I performed (in case I missed including one here).

*some say saving the scenario upon exiting is necessary; some say it isn't. Since it only takes a couple seconds, I figure 'err on the side of caution'.
Jim NSB ImageImage
tracer

Post by tracer »

Almost forgot: nice map!
Jim NSB ImageImage
StephanFH

Post by StephanFH »

Thanks again for your help. I did as I did before, as you did also, and it worked. I must have been working on that game too long, too late, because I could have sworn I did it the same way before. I am pretty sure that I did not save on exit when I had the problem, so maybe we have an answer to that question. I can't duplicate it again, and was too frustrated to fix what ain't broken.
The map is only a few minor changes and place names on top of one of Wild Bill Wilder's maps so the credit goes to him. It is for a May 10th 1943 "what-if". Some enterprising Oberst with pull in Berlin put together a tough rearguard with airsupport to savage an advancing American Battalion Combat Team, rather then running for the Airport.
Thanks again,
Steve
tracer

Post by tracer »

ORIGINAL: StephanFH
I must have been working on that game too long, too late, because I could have sworn I did it the same way before.
If I had a nickel for every time... [8|]

I'd be interested in playing that scenario when its finished/posted.
Jim NSB ImageImage
StephanFH

Post by StephanFH »

Sure, sounds like fun. I'll PM you with preferences.
Steve

Return to “SP:WaW Scenarios/Campaigns”