Repetative Black-out

New Recruits check in here! Vets debate the fine points! Tactics discussion, FAQ and "how-to" help.
If you are new to the SP:WaW community post an introduction please!

Moderator: MOD_SPWaW

emmettvm

Repetative Black-out

Post by emmettvm »

Ive found from snooping around that SP:WaW seems to have a lot of problems on new machines, most of which we simply must endure, but I was wondering if anyone else had run across my particular issue, and might know a trick to solve it.

Constantly -and I mean every few seconds- while running the game the entire screen goes black. Moving the mouse refreshes the screen where the cursor moves, and clicking a button refreshes the entire screen. It wont happen if I dont move the mouse, but as its somewhat difficult to fight a battle without utilizing the mouse, the issue crops up constantly. Ive noticed that there is no real pattern to when it occurs (moving over vehicles, or other such triggers), it simply seems as if for every millimeter the mouse cursor moves on the screen, the moniter has a certain percentage chance of going blank.

Ive learned to live with it; refreshing the screen is usually as easy as scrolling the screen to one side or the other. It does happen at horrible times, though, such as during enemy turns and such, and Id love it if anyone had a fix.

Im not running any background programs when I play. Any other common culprits anyone is aware of?
"...Do you remember when we realized it could be conquered?"
FlashfyreSP

RE: Repetative Black-out

Post by FlashfyreSP »

You may not think you're running any background processes, but your computer almost certainly is. Today's Windows system operates many "helper" programs in the background, most of which you'll never see. If you open your Task manager (Ctrl-Alt-Del) you'll see a lot of stuff under the Processes tab that aren't considered "programs"...

The most likely culprits are any process that causes the screen display to change in any way; SPWAW goes black until it is instructed to "re-draw" the display, which does not happen automatically as in most newer programs.
ImageImage

Return to “SP:WaW Training Center”