Unit Internal ID Numbers

Gary Grigsby’s World at War is back with a whole new set of features. World at War: A World Divided still gives complete control over the production, research and military strategy for your side, but in this new updated version you’ll also be able to bring spies into the mix as well as neutral country diplomacy, variable political events and much more. Perhaps the largest item is the ability to play a special Soviet vs. Allies scenario that occurs after the end of World War II.

Moderator: MOD_GGWaW_2

Nami Koshino

Unit Internal ID Numbers

Post by Nami Koshino »

Is there anyway to access these outside of the combat screens?
Rice is a great snack when you're hungry and you want 2,000 of something to eat.
GKar

RE: Unit Internal ID Numbers

Post by GKar »

I don't think so.
Nami Koshino

Post by Nami Koshino »

That's kinda what I figured. Thanks! [:)]
Rice is a great snack when you're hungry and you want 2,000 of something to eat.
GKar

Post by GKar »

Out of curiosity, what do you want to do with them? [:)]
Nami Koshino

Post by Nami Koshino »

Just wanted a easy way to track a unit's game history and progress. Unless a unit has gained a veteran or elite star they're pretty much a generic bunch on the map screen. [8D]
WanderingHead

Post by WanderingHead »

ORIGINAL: Nami Koshino
Is there anyway to access these outside of the combat screens?

I just recently put this feature in for myself for ease of debugging. If there is interest then I don't see why it couldn't become a permanent feature players could use.

The way I have it working now is that you select a unit then hit a particular button, "T" in my case because it was a test feature. A small window pops up with the ID. But I could make the key "u" (if it isn't used for anything else) provide a small dump of unit information. Unit ID, unit type, unit nationality, maybe a few other variables I can find that would be of interest.

It would only work for units you can select, i.e. the active player's units.

There is some funkiness for supplies. A group of 5 supplies is actually treated as one unit in the engine until it gets split up. But otherwise I think it would be OK.
WanderingHead

Post by WanderingHead »

Something like this.

I implemented this for hitting the "v" key for "(v)iew unit". "u" is already taken for toggling supply visibility on the map.

Attachments
unit_popup.jpg
unit_popup.jpg (65.1 KiB) Viewed 93 times
Nami Koshino

Post by Nami Koshino »

That's a great feature Wandering Head! I know it's just an unhistorical three digit number but at least it gives the units a separate identity of some sort. [:)] I'd love to see it in the game.
Torplexed

Post by Torplexed »

ORIGINAL: WanderingHead

Something like this.

I implemented this for hitting the "v" key for "(v)iew unit". "u" is already taken for toggling supply visibility on the map.

Wonderful idea! I'd like to see that implemented in the game too.
wawawd

Post by wawawd »

I think it would be cool to have the unit ID's. Even nicer would be the ability to name your units.
WanderingHead

Post by WanderingHead »

ORIGINAL: wawawd
I think it would be cool to have the unit ID's. Even nicer would be the ability to name your units.

I might actually do that (I've seen the request several times), except that it would be a new datum to store in the save file. And hence it would break all old saves, which is something I've managed to avoid so far with the work-in-progress.

Return to “Gary Grigsby's World at War: A World Divided”