Commander - Napoleon at War

Gamers can also use this forum to chat about any game related subject, news, rumours etc.

Moderator: maddog986

cdbeck

Commander - Napoleon at War

Post by cdbeck »

This was over at Wargamer.com forums, if anyone missed it! Pretty cool news!
THE COMMANDER SERIES EXPANDS TO THE NAPOLEONIC ERA
SLITHERINE ANNOUNCES COMMANDER: NAPOLEON AT WAR

www.slitherine.com/games/cnaw/

After the surprising success of World War II hex-based strategy game Commander: Europe at War, Slitherine is pleased to announce the extension of the franchise to a new and even more challenging historical setting with Commander: Napoleon at War.

The first in the series of high level turn based strategy games, Commander: Europe at War launched in July 2007 and, since then has received a wide array of stunning reviews from all over the world. It is now considered as one of the benchmark titles in the genre and has been translated into more than 10 languages.

'We are very pleased with how Commander: Europe at War did in the market', said Iain McNeil, Development Director of Slitherine. 'It was our first release under the Kameleon Project brand, and we are happy to have proved we can help small independent developers, not only by completing and releasing their games, but also by making them a success story in the marketplace'.

Commander: Napoleon at War is the second game in the Commander series and is in development by Commander: Europe at War’s original developer Firepower Entertainment and historical games developer The Lordz Games Studio. Both studios are working under the Kameleon Project umbrella.

'Commander: Napoleon at War will not be re-inventing the strategic approach of its predecessor', continues Iain McNeil. 'We want to adapt the gameplay to the different war mechanics and troop movements of the Napoleonic era but keep the same fresh and simple gameplay approach that is easy to learn, but hard to master. Also thanks to the support of an ever growing community of fans, Commander: Europe at War has evolved into a great gaming experience and so we don't want to change too much of it'.

Features
· 8 campaigns starting from Napoleons assault on Austria in 1805 up to the 100 days campaign ending at Waterloo in 1815.
· Take control of Napoleon's forces or the Allied Coalition who opposed him, including Britain, Prussia, Austria and Russia.
· Huge map covering all of Europe in amazing detail
· Research many new technologies and control the focus of your nations research.
· Dynamic weather system including mud, snow, storms and more
· Trade routes and pirate raids
· Fortresses and siege warfare
· 12 different units types including Militia, Line & Guard Infantry, Light & Heavy Cavalry, Foot & Horse Artillery, Frigates, Ships of the Line and Pirates and Privateers.
· Recruit historic commanders such as Ney, Blucher, Wellington & many more.
· Multiplayer via LAN, hot seat, PBEM and Internet
"Neca eos omnes. Deus suos agnoscet!"
(Kill them all. God will know his own.)

-- Arnaud-Armaury, the Albigensian Crusade
Grell

RE: Commander - Napoleon at War

Post by Grell »

Now that sounds great. Thank you for posting this.

Regards,

Grell
marcusm

Post by marcusm »

I hope they dropped the Java based engine as well. Java is bad for games.

Deus Vult.
Joram

Post by Joram »

I'm not sure if that engine can properly reflect the Napoleonic era.  I'd be interested in a hex-based Napoleonic game for sure but right now I'm not sold on this one.  If they don't have a grand campaign, then I'm definitely out!

sol_invictus

Post by sol_invictus »

I also don't know how the engine will handle the Napoleonic Wars if there is no stacking in hexes. This would lead to a long front more appropriate to WWI/WWII rather than the NW. The screenshots also seem to bear this out.
"The fruit of too much liberty is slavery", Cicero
LitFuel

Post by LitFuel »

eh...is it just me or is wargaming in a rut with WW2, Civil War and Napolean type games?  What I wouldn't give for a British colonial war game with Zulu's, The Boar War, India...etc...(I know Age of Rifles but gheez how about a update). 
Panzeh

Post by Panzeh »

to hell with more redcoat games
marcusm

Post by marcusm »

There was actually a ZX Spectrum wargame called Red Coats. It focused on all the battles
with Red Coats involved. Quite good for its time.

Also wondering why there aren't more attempts. Especially considering the popularity of the Sharpe books/films.

I would in fact want a game focusing only on the wars in India. Many of them were quite balanced and would serve well for wargames.
Especially the Tippoo campaign(s).
Deus Vult.
sullafelix

Post by sullafelix »

Don't jinx it. There was a time not too long ago where all we could get was WW2 games and nothing else. Developers took the old " Nato, nukes and nazi's " approach.
Windows 7 home premium 64
Intel quad core I7
16 gig
AMD R9 200 series

Di! Ecce hora! Uxor mea me necabit!
Armygrognard

Post by Armygrognard »

I should make this my sig:

So many games, so little time!
cdbeck

Post by cdbeck »

Tell me about it!

I, for one, am pretty pleased to hear this news. I liked C:EaW pretty well (haven't tried the latest update). The AI was a little dead, but the game was entertaining enough. No worse of an AI than SC2 (although I can't comment on SC2:Weapons and the AI).

SoM

Meta Baston

Post by Meta Baston »

Well,

How can I say? Although a big Napoleonic wargame fan, I must say I'm not enthousiastic at all with the description above. I remember playing Legion, a few years ago. I was thinking: this game should be adapted someway to the Napoleonic era. But it wasn't adapted, and won't be as I can see. As far as my preferences go, I dream of a game as easy and fun as CEaW and Legion, with a strategic map for everything that is strategic and a tactical map to actually play (or resolve) the battles. Otherwise, it just won't be/feel Napoleonic, won't it?

MB
cdbeck

Post by cdbeck »

Napoleon in Italy, Meta Baston? Seriously, give that one a try (or DL the For Liberty demo, same engine). Maybe that is similar to what you are thinking about.

Still, I like the hex based idea.

ravinhood

Post by ravinhood »

The only Slitherine game I'm waiting for "IF" they ever get back to it is "Legion II" with the graphics and combat of Legion Arena in an ancient period of Roman conquest using the Spartan type map and gameplay (stock market and diplomacy). They really need to get away from the static city sizes though as this put a hinderence on the AI in building up its power in Spartan. More civilization esque type growth would be nice.

It really is getting old seeing the same type games being made over n over. WW2, American Civil War and Napoleonics. Why don't they flood the market with ancients and medieval games like they do WW2, American Civil War and Napoleonics? I'm sick to near death of WW2, American Civil War and Napoleonics. ;) Except for Mad Minutes Civil War games. hehe
WE/I WANT 1:1 or something even 1:2 death animations in the KOIOS PANZER COMMAND SERIES don't forget Erik! ;) and Floating Paratroopers We grew up with Minor, Marginal and Decisive victories why rock the boat with Marginal, Decisive and Legendary?

cdbeck

Post by cdbeck »

The same reason why there are tons more college courses on WW2, ACW, and the 18th-20th centuries. People feel like medeival and the ancients are too "alien" and want to read, play, learn, something that they have more of a "connection" with. This is despite the fact that medieval is the foundation for our culture, just as ancient history is, and the fact that medieval people are also more like us than not, in many ways. Also...  people like guns and bombs.

Try finding a job as a medievalist and say "nah... I won't teach modern Europe, I want to be pure medieval." You will get laughed at... and not get any jobs.

SoM

Hentzau

Post by Hentzau »

Another strategic title... Sure could use a nice simple tactical battles series ala SPIs old quad boardgames.
marcusm

Post by marcusm »

ORIGINAL: Son_of_Montfort

The same reason why there are tons more college courses on WW2, ACW, and the 18th-20th centuries. People feel like medeival and the ancients are too "alien" and want to read, play, learn, something that they have more of a "connection" with. This is despite the fact that medieval is the foundation for our culture, just as ancient history is, and the fact that medieval people are also more like us than not, in many ways. Also... people like guns and bombs.

Try finding a job as a medievalist and say "nah... I won't teach modern Europe, I want to be pure medieval." You will get laughed at... and not get any jobs.

SoM

Well, if you are that focused then you can probably get a job in some Medieaval Faculty or Museum. The British Museum for isntance has plenty of Medieval only experts.

Any period can sell if the game is well done. The Total War series shows that.

My hope is India. There is a high interest in strategy games there(Chess for one) and with it's growing IT industry I have high hopes for some deep strategy games from there. Then we will likely see some more historical games focusing on the India-Moghul-Brit conflicts.

Worst case I have to start one myself now that I will run a ODC over there ;).

Deus Vult.
Hertston

Post by Hertston »

ORIGINAL: Joram

I'm not sure if that engine can properly reflect the Napoleonic era.  I'd be interested in a hex-based Napoleonic game for sure but right now I'm not sold on this one.  If they don't have a grand campaign, then I'm definitely out!

What is this obsession with 'grand campaigns'? I saw exactly the same thing in relation to the AGEOD game where such a thing clearly doesn't belong even more obviously than might be the case here. Compare and contrast with the American Civil War game from the same people. The phrase "Napoleonic Wars" has an 's' on the end for a reason.. they were NOT a 'grand campaign'.
Joram

Post by Joram »

Simply because there are already a ton of games that do mini-campaigns and battles during this era and to be frank, there has rarely been improvement of what it has already done. Furthermore, if I want to just recreate battles and campaigns, I usually just bust out the miniatures (or "flats" as he is getting to old to paint miniatures and my army is small) and play against my father or someone else. 

I really enjoy AGEOD's Birth of America and AACW because they offer campaigns of the whole period.  I'm disappointed they didn't do the same thing for Napoleon because what they did do, I already can do in great detail.  Sure it's really pretty but that doesn't impress me enough to buy it.  Similarly, if this Slitherine game is just a new take on the exact same thing AGEOD is doing, why would I even want it either? 

If it could simulate the whole period then I'd be much more interested.  The only games I am aware of that do are both Matrix games as well, Crown of Glory which I like a lot despite some of it's idiosyncrasies and EiA's which I haven't quite gotten the gumption to get because of feedback in it's forums.

It's not an obsession of having grand campaigns.  It is simply the style of game I like and no game has quite gotten  all the elements I like right.  I like to be able to try to shape the history of the era from beginning to end and a bunch of mini-campaigns doesn't do it for me.

There's your answer, I hope you will stop your anti-anti-campaign campaign now.  [;)]

*Lava*

Post by *Lava* »

Well...

I'm waiting for some prehistoric games myself... strategic, tactical and FPS.

Imagine going at it on a 32 man server with bones, rocks, flint knifes, spears and bows... with the odd tigertooth thrown in to auto balance the game... and, of course, modable skins...

[:)]

Ray (alias Lava)

Return to “General Discussion”