Legion Gold & Vista

Legion is now available on iPad!
In Slitherine Strategies' Legion Gold, Gates of Troy and Spartan and Chariots of War (re-releases), you will lead your nation to victory in the ancient world’s greatest battles. Control a vast empire and fight epic battles on 3D battlefields. Historical heroes to come to your aid it will take strategy to build your civilization and conquer your enemies. Gates of Troy and Spartan are fully compatible and owners of both titles can play the full set of scenarios with the Gates of Troy engine.
Johnus

Legion Gold & Vista

Post by Johnus »

Does Legion Gold run on Vista ?? There are fixes for Spartan & Gates of Troy on the Slitherine site but nothing for Legion Gold. It doesn't need any ??
Johnus

RE: Legion Gold & Vista

Post by Johnus »

Wow !  Sixty hits and no response.
Wolfe1759

Post by Wolfe1759 »

2 of those are mine and as I run Vista I'm waiting on the same response as you 
"In War: Resolution. In Defeat: Defiance. In Victory: Magnanimity. In Peace: Goodwill." - Winston Churchill
JWW

Post by JWW »

I would've answered, but I'm running XP.  But if it is like other things, I bet you will find some people running it just fine on Vista and some having problems. 
Terl

Post by Terl »

Isn't there a demo at the Slitherine site? Why not give it a go? Demo here

Like many others, I still have XP...too much bad press about Vista so I just stayed away.
Wolfe1759

Post by Wolfe1759 »

Just tried the demo (downloaded and played the short tutorial) and it seems to work fine on Vista.

And have now bought it and again seems to be working fine [:)]
"In War: Resolution. In Defeat: Defiance. In Victory: Magnanimity. In Peace: Goodwill." - Winston Churchill
Terl

Post by Terl »

ORIGINAL: Wolfe

Just tried the demo (downloaded and played the short tutorial) and it seems to work fine on Vista.

And have now bought it and again seems to be working fine [:)]

Excellent! From what I have seen about the forums many of these games do work; some require you start them in administrator mode.
Johnus

Post by Johnus »

Wolfe & Terl:

Thanks for the info. I'm now in full blown Roman mode for some reason. Just purchased Legion Gold; pre-ordered EU Rome from Paradox; and am reading "In the Name of Rome" by Adrian Goldsworthy (pretty good selective military history). Ancient Rome is a fascinating subject.
Terl

Post by Terl »

ORIGINAL: Johnnie

Wolfe & Terl:

Thanks for the info. I'm now in full blown Roman mode for some reason. Just purchased Legion Gold; pre-ordered EU Rome from Paradox; and am reading "In the Name of Rome" by Adrian Goldsworthy (pretty good selective military history). Ancient Rome is a fascinating subject.

Yikes.... EU Rome is up for preorder!!! Thanks, I missed it; been working hard at work and teaching myself some new programming skills. Glad I saw this.
Wolfe1759

Post by Wolfe1759 »

Having got the Rome bug for the sake of your bank balance my advice is to stay away from the board wargames and avoid the alchameical transformation that minature gaming has of transmuting gold to lead.

Not that I took my own advice of course[8|]
IainMcNeil

Post by IainMcNeil »

Yes it will run under Vista. Some people may need to download a dll that Windows does not include any more for some reason (one of the resons why many Vista machines can't run old games). Some games require "Run as Administrator" but all you need to do to set that up is right click on the desktop shortcut so its not a big deal.
Iain McNeil
Director
Matrix Games
Johnus

Post by Johnus »

Iain:

Is that the same dll file that one uses for Gates of Troy or Spartan ??
IainMcNeil

Post by IainMcNeil »

I dont remember - but I'm pretty sure you can download it from the Legion downloads page on our site. I'm also fairly sure we included it in the installer for Matrix.
Iain McNeil
Director
Matrix Games
panzers

Post by panzers »

ORIGINAL: Iain McNeil

Yes it will run under Vista. Some people may need to download a dll that Windows does not include any more for some reason (one of the resons why many Vista machines can't run old games). Some games require "Run as Administrator" but all you need to do to set that up is right click on the desktop shortcut so its not a big deal.
I just got spartan and that download does not work. So, at least for now, I'm out 40 bucks.
panzers

Post by panzers »

Hi Erik,
Just want to tell you I just spent several hours working on getting that zip file, communicating back and forth with Iain because I knew I was gonna get chariots of war today. It simply will not download. I have tried about 20 times in several different ways and it will not work. I am going to refuse chariots of war and am going to my bank to have that charge reverese for it is not what I consider a legal purchase. I already threw away $50 on a game that is unplayable. I feel that is only fair considering you will be getting it back with the package unopened. I wil consider getting it in the future though. I have to find a way to get rid of this piece of sht on my computer and gp back to xp. The store I bought it from said that I would not be able to install xp because of the configuation. I have had a lot of people on here that said they were lying, so I have to find out for sure. I believe it is still under warranty.
IainMcNeil

Post by IainMcNeil »

Panzers, all you need to do is put the dll I linked to in the games dir. I'm not sure where you are going wrong. The game is in Program Files\Matrix\Spartan (probably) and all you need to do is unzip the dll and put it there. This is all that the error you are seeing means - it is missing this file. If you get the error the file is not there, there is no other reason to get this error.
Iain McNeil
Director
Matrix Games
Erik Rutins

Post by Erik Rutins »

Panzers,

These games work fine on Vista here - follow Iain's advice and you'll be able to play just fine.

Regards,

- Erik
Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.
panzers

Post by panzers »

The file itself is not downloading. What advice is gonna work if I am not even able to download it? Either that or windows is not able to read it. I've tried downloding it at least a dozen different times with many methods and paths and, still is not reading it. I have ovewrote it every time. Finally, I went to spartan file itself and tried to load it, and I got the message that the game will not load because the dll file doesn't exist. So that pretty much puts me completely out of options. So please don't tell me I'm not listening what I need to be doing because I have been working on this stupid sht for over a week now and several hours that could be better spent doing something else.
IainMcNeil

Post by IainMcNeil »

This is the first time you've said the file does not download.

1) Click this link - http://www.slitherine.com/files/downloads/d3drm.zip - I know it works I just tried it.
2) Save this file on your PC.
3) Now go and open the zip.
4) Copy the dll to the dir you installed Spartan to.

That is it - nothing else. All you are doing is copying one file. If you get the error it means you have not followed these instructions. There is no other cause of this error. The error is down to Microsoft not including all the files that is should have in Vista. Nothing to do with us, so if you want to vent your anger please take it out on Microsoft.

Iain McNeil
Director
Matrix Games
Erik Rutins

Post by Erik Rutins »

FYI, we just checked and the older Spartan and Gates of Troy installers did not install this file under Vista. The newer Legion Gold and Chariots of War installers do. So we're uploading patches for the old installers and updating them. In the meantime, the procedure Iain posted above works fine.

Regards,

- Erik
Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

Return to “Legion Gold, Gates of Troy, Spartan & Chariots of War”