Paratroops

Gary Grigsby's strategic level wargame covering the entire War in the Pacific from 1941 to 1945 or beyond.

Moderators: Joel Billings, wdolson, Don Bowen, mogami

gpannell

Paratroops

Post by gpannell »

I am not sure if this is me being a complete direlict or a bug in the game. I have tried to drop Paratroops on 0 level airfield hexes but every time I select a spot I get an error message that no friendly airfield exists. I am running upgrade 1.60 and patch 1.8.0.6. My airborne and Glider units have the same icon as a standard leg infantry unit and when I have looked in the editior I do not see an Airborne or Glider infantry icon.
Thanks for any help!
We're gonna use their guts to grease our treads! - G.S. Patton, Jr.
JeffroK

RE: Paratroops

Post by JeffroK »

I think its a bug in that its looking to transfer your troops to an airbase, at level 0 there isnt one.

However if it was an enemy base I would guess it would perform the drop.

Also, what unit are you trying to drop?
Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum
gpannell

Post by gpannell »

No, I forgot to mention that it also gives the same error message if I try to drop the Paratroops on an enemy 1-9 level airfield. Is there a fix for this or a way to correct this problem in the editor? I have tried dropping Army Para Rgt., Marine Raider Bn., Marine Para Bn., and Soviet Abn Rgt. all with the same results "No Friendly Airfield". I believe you are correct in that the game is trying to transfer as opposed to drop them. I have attempted to insert Raider Bn. via Patrol A/C with the same result. I have used every type of Cargo transport and patrol A/C in the game all with the same results.  

saj42

Post by saj42 »

What scenario/Mod are you playing?

The Marine Raider Bns are NOT paratroops so they will not air assualt an enemy base (use a fast Transport TF for them). The Marine Para Bns should air assualt.
From your description it sounds like these units are not correctly set in the database (a screen shot of a Para Bn from the editor would help us resolve this).
Banner by rogueusmc
gpannell

Post by gpannell »

This happens with all my scenarios factory and Mods. How do I get a Screen copy from the editor? I would be more than happy to forward one just not sure how. I understand about the marine raider Bn. not air dropable but I should be able to insert them by patrol A/C.  
gpannell

Post by gpannell »

Sorry, I have two screen shots saved as PDF but I can't insert it to this post, every time I try to insert image I am asked for a URL. Any ideas?

decaro

Post by decaro »

ORIGINAL: gpannell

I am not sure if this is me being a complete direlict or a bug in the game. I have tried to drop Paratroops on 0 level airfield hexes but every time I select a spot I get an error message that no friendly airfield exists ...

I've successfully air-dropped paras in UV and assume the procedure is the same for WitP.

Select your C-47 tansport, then select the para unit and then the select the destination. If you don't do it in that exact order, you'll get the "no friendly airfield" message, so make sure you have your paras selected before selecting their destination.

I've often dropped paras to take an undefended island -- w/or w/o an operating airfield -- for points, or to chase IJ engineers off Lunga in prep for an amphib invasion; it works in UV all the time if you do it in the correct sequence, and it should work in WitP as well.
Stratford, Connecticut, U.S.A.[center]Image[/center]
[center]"The Angel of Okinawa"[/center]
Home of the Chance-Vought Corsair, F4U
The best fighter-bomber of World War II
gpannell

Post by gpannell »

Thanks, but I can do it in UV but for some reason WITP is different.
gpannell

Post by gpannell »

Here is one Editor Screen shot of a Para Unit
Attachments
USParaRgt.jpg
USParaRgt.jpg (138.91 KiB) Viewed 198 times
gpannell

Post by gpannell »

Here is the 2nd. Do you see any problem with the way they are set up?

Attachments
USMCParaBn.jpg
USMCParaBn.jpg (137.39 KiB) Viewed 180 times
Nomad

Post by Nomad »

I believe that the switch that turns them into para units is hidden in the official editor. El Cid made mention that you have to use editorX(?) to look/change it.
gpannell

Post by gpannell »

I have the official editor. How do I use editorX(?). I have never heard or seen mention of this term.
Long Lance

Post by Long Lance »

Perhaps it's a typo or I misunderstand, but from what I read you using upgrade 1.6 with 1.806..
IIRC, you have to use 1.806. on 1.804 to workk properly.
gpannell

Post by gpannell »

1.60 is a message I see on the preference page. The full message is 1.60 Database changes have been added. The patch version is 1.8.0.6 and this is on the main load screen. Is this a problem? How can I correct? I have downloaded the most up to date patches from Matrix and installed per instructions.
Nomad

Post by Nomad »

I have the official editor. How do I use editorX(?). I have never heard or seen mention of this term.

From the "Must Read Treads" thread: EditorX link
gpannell

Post by gpannell »

Thanks!
Nomad

Post by Nomad »

Here is a linky to a discussion about the problem.
GaryChildress

Post by GaryChildress »

Here is the 2nd. Do you see any problem with the way they are set up?

What scenario are you using? It says scenario 033 at the top of the editor window. Is it possible that whomever did the custom scenario moved the paratroop slots without using editor X to reinstate them as paratroopers? IIRC in editor X you need to put the number 13 in one of the slots to denote paras.

Also you say that there is no paratroop symbol in the game for the units you are trying to paradrop. IF they are entered correctly in the editor then they WILL have a paratroop symbol.
GaryChildress

Post by GaryChildress »

Looks like scenario 33 is Pry's scenario. I'm going to check it with editor X now.
GaryChildress

Post by GaryChildress »

OK. first off slot 2027 is the formation slot for the paras, not the actual slot for the individual para units. So that isn't going to affect the paradrop function of the units I don't think.

When I go through Pry's OOB for the 1st - 4th USMC Para Bns then everything seems to be correct.

Can you tell us EXACTLY what unit (the name) that you are not able to paradrop. I will look into the editor and see what is there. Also please confirm that you are playing Pry's Scenario #33 and not some other scenario #33.

Thanks.

Return to “War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945”