Using XML

This forum is for official support and troubleshooting FAQs.

Moderators: JAMiAM, ralphtricky

Merv0728

Using XML

Post by Merv0728 »

Someone please help, I am completely confused,I see lots of post about XML files etc., but I haven't got any. Do I have to create these myself ?
I have used XML before with MS Flight Sim & also with TRAINZ & with those there had to be a Heading at the top of the file, (a SCHEMA & a version) is this the case with the XML here & if so what SCHEMA & version ?
I have an XML Editor (Architag XRAY).

Alan

Curtis Lemay

RE: Using XML

Post by Curtis Lemay »

ORIGINAL: Merv0728

Someone please help, I am completely confused,I see lots of post about XML files etc., but I haven't got any. Do I have to create these myself ?

The dump of the forces made by F4 is in XML. F5 reads an XML file back into the forces.

The dump of the events made by F6 is XML. F7 reads an XML file back into the events.

The modified .eqp file is in XML. BioEd exports any modified eqp file in XML.
My TOAW web site:

Bob Cross's TOAW Site
Merv0728

Post by Merv0728 »

Hello Curtis, thanks for the quick reply but I am still not with it !

In which program do I use the F4/F5 keys,I thought perhaps it was in BioEd but I gave that a go & got no where.
This has really got me puzzled, I expect I have got the wrong idea about it altogether.

Alan
ColinWright

Post by ColinWright »

If you're asking how to edit the equipment database, on my computer the instructions are at 'C:\Matrix Games\The Operational Art of War III\Manuals.' Then pick 'how to edit the equipment database.'
I am not Charlie Hebdo
Merv0728

Post by Merv0728 »

Hello Colin, well, it isn't the equipment file specifically but the only equipment files I can find are Poland1939 & Vietnam,there doesn't seem to be a general equipment file at all which is puzzling.

Alan
ColinWright

Post by ColinWright »

If you go to that .pdf I mentioned, at some point it's going to have to tell you how to call it up. Then you'll know where it is.
I am not Charlie Hebdo
ColinWright

Post by ColinWright »

I may just be demonstrating the depth and profundity of my understanding of computers here, but my suspicion is the original equipment file is part of the .exe. When you make a custom equipment file, the program will substitute it for the original if you are running the named scenario.
I am not Charlie Hebdo
Merv0728

Post by Merv0728 »

Hi Colin, well I tried that but I get an "Registry Editor" error saying it can't import COW.REG because it isn't a Registry script.
I have ACOW Editor Alpha 0.93.01 is this the correct one (BioEd ?)
I haven't created any custom equipment file or anything else come to that.

I have found a equipment.eqp in the ODD folder but that is probably a modified one.I will put it in the TOAW/Graphics folder & see what happens.

Alan
Curtis Lemay

Post by Curtis Lemay »

Hello Curtis, thanks for the quick reply but I am still not with it !

In which program do I use the F4/F5 keys,I thought perhaps it was in BioEd but I gave that a go & got no where.
This has really got me puzzled, I expect I have got the wrong idea about it altogether.

Alan

F4/F5 & F6/F7 keys are used with the scenario editor.
My TOAW web site:

Bob Cross's TOAW Site
Curtis Lemay

Post by Curtis Lemay »

Hello Colin, well, it isn't the equipment file specifically but the only equipment files I can find are Poland1939 & Vietnam,there doesn't seem to be a general equipment file at all which is puzzling.

When I wrote the document on editing the equipment file, that file still was in the graphics directory. But Ralph thought it was causing problems so it was removed. We have plans for the next patch to stick it in the Equipment Editor folder instead. Until then, if you want an equipment.eqp file, you'll have to generate your own via the BioEd:

Load up the BioEd with the ACOW database that it comes with and export it out into an XML file (edit it first if you desire). Name it "equipment.eqp" and put it into the desired graphics sub-folder.
My TOAW web site:

Bob Cross's TOAW Site
Merv0728

Post by Merv0728 »

Curtis, I am getting even more confused. I tried F4/F5 in the scenario editor (I assume we are talking about the same prog,TOAW?? ) & nothing happened.
In your last post you speak of the "Equipment Editor" Folder, & where might that be pray !!

I see various posts talking of things & places etc. that I don't seem to have or doesn't happen as stated in the posts so I am going to uninstall & re-install & see what happens then. Its almost as if I have a strange version of TOAW.

Alan

Curtis Lemay

Post by Curtis Lemay »

Curtis, I am getting even more confused. I tried F4/F5 in the scenario editor (I assume we are talking about the same prog,TOAW?? ) & nothing happened.

Open the force editor.

Peversely, F6/F7 only works if you are not in the event editor.

Note that both these files are only intended to be used for editing scenarios (although they can also be sort of informative).
In your last post you speak of the "Equipment Editor" Folder, & where might that be pray !!

In my "How to..." doc, I listed creating that folder to put BioEd in. But we plan on creating it for you in the next patch.
My TOAW web site:

Bob Cross's TOAW Site
Merv0728

Post by Merv0728 »

That would be ok but BioEd doesn't work on this PC, OS Win XP Home,service pack 2 & all the updates.
ColinWright

Post by ColinWright »

That would be ok but BioEd doesn't work on this PC, OS Win XP Home,service pack 2 & all the updates.

Sounds unlikely. I have Windows XP. I use the Bioeditor all the time. 'Media Center Edition. Version 2002. Service Pack 2.'

In what way doesn't the bioeditor 'work'?
I am not Charlie Hebdo
Curtis Lemay

Post by Curtis Lemay »

BioEd uses some of the ACOW graphics. If you don't have ACOW installed, then you will have to make a registry change to get BioEd to look in the TOAW III directories for the graphic files it needs. The "How to..." doc explains how to do this.
My TOAW web site:

Bob Cross's TOAW Site
Merv0728

Post by Merv0728 »

Colin & Curtis, If you look back in this thread you will see that I tried COW.REG but got error.

I have since then, un-installed TOAW & BioED, re-installed & now BioEd will work with the ACOW files but COW.REG still no good,same error. I had a look in the registry & although there is a folder "Matrix Games" the items in it are cryptic names like "ef", "wtef" & two or three others of a similar ilk, so I left them alone.

Thanks anyway
Merv0728

Post by Merv0728 »

I have just tried COW.REG again & now get an error that says "unable to import COW.REG, the specified file is not a registry file.You can only import registry files"

[&:]
Curtis Lemay

Post by Curtis Lemay »

Colin & Curtis, If you look back in this thread you will see that I tried COW.REG but got error.

I have since then, un-installed TOAW & BioED, re-installed & now BioEd will work with the ACOW files but COW.REG still no good,same error. I had a look in the registry & although there is a folder "Matrix Games" the items in it are cryptic names like "ef", "wtef" & two or three others of a similar ilk, so I left them alone.

Thanks anyway

The above seems to indicate that you have ACOW installed. If so, the instructions in the "How to..." document explicitly (and repeatedly) stated not to muck about with the registry thing.

If that's not the case, I can only suggest that:

1. Make sure you have updated TOAW III to the latest patch, since the "How to..." doc in earlier versions had a mistake in the COW.REG.

2. Refer to the two threads at the top of the sticky part of this sub-forum that deal with BioEd issues.
My TOAW web site:

Bob Cross's TOAW Site
Merv0728

Post by Merv0728 »

Curtis, No ACOW installed here, only the ACOW files in BioEd.
Yes I have the latest Patch to V3,2,29,27.

Raindem

Post by Raindem »

...I have found a equipment.eqp in the ODD folder but that is probably a modified one.I will put it in the TOAW/Graphics folder & see what happens.

Alan

The equipment file that comes with ODD is the original, so unless you've personally edited it I doubt it's modified. You can modify the equipment file in ODD also.
Grab them by the balls. Their hearts and minds will follow.

Return to “TOAW III Support”