Suggestion - Battle of Jutland

Gamers can also use this forum to chat about any game related subject, news, rumours etc.

Moderator: maddog986

derhexer

Suggestion - Battle of Jutland

Post by derhexer »

I'd love to see a good computer version of the Battle of Jutland, May 31st, 1916. I'm inpressed with what Matrix Games has been able to do with creating good games and I think you could do a good job w/Jutland[:)]
Chris
(Did you ever stop to think and forget to start?)
Mobeer

RE: Suggestion - Battle of Jutland

Post by Mobeer »

Have you considered Jutland by Storm Eagle Studios?

http://www.stormeaglestudios.com/public/home.html
Terminus

Post by Terminus »

If it ever gets published...[8|]
We are all dreams of the Giant Space Butterfly.
rictavian

Post by rictavian »

I'll second the Jutland choice, and include a dynamic campaign generator plus the ability to construct scenarios. It's a big field of interest, so take the ball and run with it, make it a super product.
Halsey

Post by Halsey »

HPS has one, though the tactical graphics are really lacking.
Zakhal

Post by Zakhal »

ORIGINAL: Mobeer

Have you considered Jutland by Storm Eagle Studios?

http://www.stormeaglestudios.com/public/home.html

Their distant guns is the best naval wargame since gnb2. Its perfect with the dynamic campaign. I hope they get to release all the games they have planned eventually. Apparently thers more coming not just jutland if everything goes right.
"99.9% of all internet arguments are due to people not understanding someone else's point. The other 0.1% is arguing over made up statistics."- unknown poster
"Those who dont read history are destined to repeat it."– Edmund Burke
Terminus

Post by Terminus »

Let's see if they finish the damn thing first...[:@]
Zakhal

Post by Zakhal »

Not like games are ever delayed? Im just thankful that atleast somone is making naval games like these again. [8|]
"99.9% of all internet arguments are due to people not understanding someone else's point. The other 0.1% is arguing over made up statistics."- unknown poster
"Those who dont read history are destined to repeat it."– Edmund Burke
Phatguy

Post by Phatguy »

I played the demo and loved it. I can understand them wanting to make money, but I just can't justify spending 70 on  a pc game.... To many "real life" things that need to be dealt with. Games are not on top of the list, i'm afraid......
My life is complete. 1000 Matrix posts.....
gunny

Post by gunny »

Thats steep. More sales and lower priced for better marketing.

I have yet to see a Jutland game account for magazine load outs. This was the deciding factor in the battle, why would that aspect not be included in the game? The British ships were over loaded with amunition outside of their protective storage magazines. And were getting catastrophically popped in one salvo because of it. That would be a great game feature. More ammo, more lasting power at the cost of increased vulerability as the victim of catastrophic hits.
Mike Scholl

Post by Mike Scholl »

ORIGINAL: Halsey
HPS has one, though the tactical graphics are really lacking.

The graphics could be better..., but the brain-dead play of the AI is beyond redemption.
Mike Scholl

Post by Mike Scholl »

ORIGINAL: gunny
I have yet to see a Jutland game account for magazine load outs. This was the deciding factor in the battle, why would that aspect not be included in the game? The British ships were over loaded with amunition outside of their protective storage magazines. And were getting catastrophically popped in one salvo because of it.

Actually that was not the case. Their ammo loads were within "specs". It was the poor ammunition handling practices among Beattie's Battlecruiser Squadrons that made them floating bombs. Things like removing the flash-proof doors or wedging them open to speed the rate-of-fire; or placing extra charges in the turrets.

This was not the case among the Battleships of the Grand Fleet itself, as witnessed by the pounding taken by Evan-Thomas' Squadron with no ill results.
gunny

Post by gunny »

ORIGINAL: Mike Scholl

Actually that was not the case. Their ammo loads were within "specs". It was the poor ammunition handling practices among Beattie's Battlecruiser Squadrons that made them floating bombs. Things like removing the flash-proof doors or wedging them open to speed the rate-of-fire; or placing extra charges in the turrets.

This was not the case among the Battleships of the Grand Fleet itself, as witnessed by the pounding taken by Evan-Thomas' Squadron with no ill results.

I saw this on a documentry not long ago and the spin they put on it referred to extra ammo stored outside of magazines, but you seem to be the subject matter expert, and I haven't researched it so I stand corrected.
Still to my point a player could gain a higher rate of fire but with increased risk of critical hits if unsafe ammunition handling was applied in that case. It would make a Jutland simulation more interesting to have that option.
Capt. Harlock

Post by Capt. Harlock »

ORIGINAL: Mike Scholl

IIRC there were a couple of contributing factors. Ammunition handling was one -- Beatty's flagship was probably saved because they had better procedures on board her that had not spread to the rest of the squadron. But another factor seems to have been that the British were still using Lyddite as the bursting charge in their shells, while the Germans had already switched to the more stable TNT. One German ship was saved by flooding the magazine at the last minute (and the seaman burned himself badly on the hot valve handle). IMHO Lyddite shells would have detonated by then.
Civil war? What does that mean? Is there any foreign war? Isn't every war fought between men, between brothers?

--Victor Hugo
SlickWilhelm

Post by SlickWilhelm »

Getting back to Storm Eagles Studios game "Jutland"..... I can understand that delays are a part of software development(boy, can I relate!). That being said, on their website they state that Jutland's projected release is "VERY SOON!!!!!"

That was posted on Sept. 25. To me, "VERY SOON!!!!!!" means in the next week. To them, it must mean "within the next quarter".
Beta Tester - Brother Against Brother
Beta Tester - Commander: The Great War
Beta Tester - Desert War 1940-42
Valkyrie

Post by Valkyrie »

ORIGINAL: Slick Wilhelm

Getting back to Storm Eagles Studios game "Jutland"..... I can understand that delays are a part of software development(boy, can I relate!). That being said, on their website they state that Jutland's projected release is "VERY SOON!!!!!"

That was posted on Sept. 25. To me, "VERY SOON!!!!!!" means in the next week. To them, it must mean "within the next quarter".

Well, they just released a new Jutland Info Brochure that is very nicely done. Release is now "Late Fall 2008" but the product looks really impressive. Gorgeous graphics.
Signature? Maybe someday over the rainbow.
Cap Mandrake

Post by Cap Mandrake »

Wow...that looks amazing. 32 player mplay [:D] That is ambitious but I suspect the realtime would degrade to 1 sec game time to 10 of realtime.

I have played their demo of Russo-Japan war. It is fun to set the camera on the shells and watch them ride in. [:)]

I cant see how you could effectively manage more than a squadron of ships in a giant furball like that. Once your squadron starts to take damage it becomes necessary to detach ships, reassign new targets..yada, yada, yada. Playing against an AI you could presumably pause and issue orders but not in mplayer. I would buy the thing if the mplayer thing works well.
Mobeer

Post by Mobeer »

Prince of Eckmühl

Post by Prince of Eckmühl »

Indeed it has:

http://groups.google.com/group/comp.sys ... fae84f05de#

And here's a look at their licensing "agreement:"

http://groups.google.com/group/comp.sys ... 7ea6421366#

PoE (aka ivanmoe)
Government is the opiate of the masses.
Terminus

Post by Terminus »

With that sort of garbage, Storm Eagle deserves not to sell a single copy. It's despicable.

Return to “General Discussion”