EA admits mistakes with Westwood etc

Gamers can also use this forum to chat about any game related subject, news, rumours etc.

Moderator: maddog986

marcusm

EA admits mistakes with Westwood etc

Post by marcusm »

Quite impressive to read :).

http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=92410

EA CEO John Riccitiello has admitted that the company "blew it" with companies like Bullfrog, Origin Systems and Westwood post-acquisition.

"We at EA blew it," he told an audience at the DICE Summit. "To a degree I was involved in these things, so I can say I blew it."

The problem was that EA believed in a "one size fits all" approach that buried and stifled creativity under bureaucracy, he said.
Deus Vult.
Grell

RE: EA admits mistakes with Westwood etc

Post by Grell »

That's not new news here but thanks for the link anyway.

Regards,

Grell
Phatguy

Post by Phatguy »

I for one can't believe the evil empire has admitted a mistake.
My life is complete. 1000 Matrix posts.....
TonyAAA

Post by TonyAAA »

I'll belive it when EA actually starts releasing some new and different properties other than bland "mainstream" stuff, maybe even brings back series that it killed off (like Ultima or Wing Commander) and also stops trying to "buy" genres--like the NFL exclusive license deal.

Till then, it's just a speech......
Terminus

Post by Terminus »

Agreed. This is just talking...[8|]
We are all dreams of the Giant Space Butterfly.
Kuokkanen

Post by Kuokkanen »

ORIGINAL: Tony_A

I'll belive it when EA actually starts releasing some new and different properties other than bland "mainstream" stuff, maybe even brings back series that it killed off (like Ultima or Wing Commander)
Not to forget MPBT3025. That game was almost ready for sale. Even though some people have server end software, they can't put it on-line with their own computers, becouse that would upset EA's lawyers, and legal permission to use it costs about as much as maintenance run for DropShip [:@]
You know what they say, don't you? About how us MechWarriors are the modern knights, how warfare has become civilized now that we have to abide by conventions and rules of war. Don't believe it.

MekWars
orwell

Post by orwell »

"Riccitiello said that the ideal of two guys in a garage creating a bust-out game, financing it on their VISA card, is not reality or even a possibility in the current market."

Uh, isn't that how the Combat Mission series started more or less? Isn't it even now maintained by a single person? And it certainly seems possible as they continue to live on, no need to drag how great or horrible the games are in here.

A decade ago, a team of 25-50 people could create a game. At the time, EA published on three platforms – today, they publish on over 12 platforms, not counting hundreds of different mobile handsets. "I would posit today that that number is in the 200 range for creating a AAA franchise. There is a collective of people that is much greater today, and paying those salaries is a much greater cost."
What are those 200 man teams doing? I could see if it your making multiple games across different platforms, but, c'mon. In todays market, what are some real challenges to why a single guy can't design a game that will grab a market? It may not have the whizbangs and widgets, but certainly there are a few games produced by a smaller team than that decade ago.
marcusm

Post by marcusm »

As far as I know they had a contract with Avalon Hill to re-create Squad Leader.
One of many failed attempts ;).

I completelly agree with his assessment though. If you want to create a game today with any hope of selling more than 100k copies(or even 10k), then you need a proffessional staff. For a console title it isn't a huge obstacle. PC only titles is a different matter.
Deus Vult.
Kuokkanen

Post by Kuokkanen »

ORIGINAL: orwell

"Riccitiello said that the ideal of two guys in a garage creating a bust-out game, financing it on their VISA card, is not reality or even a possibility in the current market."

Uh, isn't that how the Combat Mission series started more or less?
Is that how CM4 was made? Of course many games that are sold by Matrix Games (or by Digital River, what ever) are made by less than 10 people, some greatest ones even just by 3 people (you know who they are [;)])... But I guess Riccitiello is referring to those games that make it to stores, like Combat Mission serie. And if he means all games, someone should introduce him 2 by 3 Games and Destroyer Studios.
You know what they say, don't you? About how us MechWarriors are the modern knights, how warfare has become civilized now that we have to abide by conventions and rules of war. Don't believe it.

MekWars
Marauders

Post by Marauders »

With development teams now demanding staff "in the 200 range" for major releases, EA's current ideal is developers as "city states". "When we are doing it right, we are not synchronised swimmers," he explained.

Like all of those Matrix Games titles.

[;)]
mack2

Post by mack2 »

Yep, because the Matrix games are such huge commercial worldwide smashing successes.

It's obvious he's not talking about games like are sold here, but ones that propel the Big Business side. He means games like Crysis. Like Battlefield. Like Command and Conquer.
marcusm

Post by marcusm »

But even smaller. Even those "budget" Russian dev houses are fairly large, uses real development procedures etc. This is todays reallity.

Yes. One man developers can do great stuff but how many have the energy?

Deus Vult.
ilovestrategy

Post by ilovestrategy »

I was sad about what happened to Origin. I really loved those Ultima games [:(]
After 16 years, Civ II still has me in it's clutches LOL!!!
Now CIV IV has me in it's evil clutches!
NefariousKoel

Post by NefariousKoel »

ORIGINAL: Matti Kuokkanen
ORIGINAL: Tony_A

I'll belive it when EA actually starts releasing some new and different properties other than bland "mainstream" stuff, maybe even brings back series that it killed off (like Ultima or Wing Commander)
Not to forget MPBT3025. That game was almost ready for sale. Even though some people have server end software, they can't put it on-line with their own computers, becouse that would upset EA's lawyers, and legal permission to use it costs about as much as maintenance run for DropShip [:@]

3025 was a blast. I played in the beta for awhile years ago... was very disappointed when it got vaporized.

Return to “General Discussion”