Adding maps in user created scenarioes

Please post here for questions and discussion about scenario design and general game modding.
Kiwi Red One

Adding maps in user created scenarioes

Post by Kiwi Red One »

Alex/Jess/anyone

Can someone PLEASE post the correct procedure for adding maps to scenarios....I have my two created maps as .png files that Unhappy very kindly created for me and I have named them surxxxxxxxxmap and surxxxxxxxxmaphexes in the resources file but they do not appear in the edit map function.

Do I still need to create a basic .bmp hexmap in the map editor to sit underneath the sur files? or all the smaller objective maps as well for the whole thing to work?

I can edit/add/change everything with planes and ships but adding the map is driving me crazy and its all I need to finish creating a scenario. Yes I have read the eariler thread on map creation and read the manual.

Thanks in advance.
KRO
Unhappy

RE: Adding maps in user created scenarioes

Post by Unhappy »

Kiwi,

Not sure if you have solved this already or not but...

By the sounds of it I assume you have already created the scenario .SRF file that contains the two maps surxxxxxxmap and surxxxxxxxmaphexes? And that the .SRF file is in the Carriers at War/Resources/Scenario folder?

If so - go into the map editor and at the bottom right are two fields where you have to enter the names of the two surfaces contained in the scenario .SRF file. In my example below I have surfaces: 1) surwestern medmap and 2) surwestern medmaphexes

Enter the names exactly as they appear in the .SRF file. Check the "Show map hex surface" check box and, if necessary, click the "reload map sprite" button at the bottom right.

Then your map (with hexes) should appear (and it will looked sort of squished).

As far as I am aware - yes you have to manually create the underlying bitmap in the editor which is quite tedious (but shouldn't be too bad with your Tasman Sea map b/c it is mostly water)

Yes - you also need to create the minimap, theatre map and objective maps (all sprites). They are also contained in the scenario .SRF file.

Not sure if this helps or not. If not let me know and I'll try to make up some step by step instructions.
Attachments
Map Editor.jpg
Map Editor.jpg (167.21 KiB) Viewed 327 times
Kiwi Red One

Post by Kiwi Red One »

Thanks for the mini tutorial Unhappy, much appreciated.

Seems to solve my problem....the minimaps were not a problem, just the two sur ones.

Cheers
KRO 
Stele

Post by Stele »

I'm having a similar problem.

I've done everything as stated above, but my new .bmp map in the resource file does not load up in the map editor.  It will load up fine in the Weather screen, and even in a game, but I cannot get it to show up in the Map editor.  The "reload sprite" button doesn't do it either.
alexs

Post by alexs »

Hi Steele,

Make sure you have the "SHOW MAP HEX SURFACE" checkbox below the surface textboxes set to 'true'.

Alex
Stele

Post by Stele »

Sorry to waste your time answering my silly question.  I got it now.  [:)]
GenChaos33

Post by GenChaos33 »

How do you open/edit SRF files? Is it a graphical program? Or do you use Notepad?
I have tried Notepad - shows few english letters, but alot of crazy symbols.
What folder does the PNG file go in? I confused. Thanks for your help. GC

Wait. I will try the CAW editor again. Hope I can figure it out.
alexs

Post by alexs »

SRF files (or Ssg Resource Files) are edited using the game editor - specifically the resource editor (go to the editor, then select the "Resources" button on the bottom of the screen with the barrel / cog symbol). From there, you will see a list of SRF files that you can select and add/remove/alter resources.

If you tell us specifically what your trying to do, we can probably give you more info.
GenChaos33

Post by GenChaos33 »

There are 3 things that I'm trying to accomplish. Thanks for your help. GC
FYI - my scenarios created by modifing Midway Scenarios in 1.01. That still ok?

1) Would like to add 1 or 2 maps. The most simple would be just Ocean Only Map (would be nice if it had different shades of blue). But if I go with 2 maps, I need a mainly Ocean full map but with one small island left of center(than the map mirrored so island right of center). (see pic below for idea of where location)

2) Would like to get rid of the default minimaps.

3) Would like my scenario to be a mystery, so players don't know ship composition til after they start the game. Just like the Mystery Varients?

Attachments
Example.jpg
Example.jpg (30.8 KiB) Viewed 222 times
GenChaos33

Post by GenChaos33 »

3) Addition to #3. This needs more than just making a mystery varient. Because players could still open ahead of time and see opponents ship composition before they play. Would need security program work. Some type of dual password (one for IJN player, one for USN player), so MP game will only load when both unique passwords entered. This item(#3) dropped.

Return to “Mods and Scenarios”