SPWAW Depot down

SPWaW is a tactical squad-level World War II game on single platoon or up to an entire battalion through Europe and the Pacific (1939 to 1945).

Moderator: MOD_SPWaW

dutchiexx

SPWAW Depot down

Post by dutchiexx »

Does anybody know what's wrong at the Depot? I can't login since yesterday morning... Get a 'Network Error' everytime. [&:]
Whitmire

RE: SPWAW Depot down

Post by Whitmire »

Same here. I've been trying to get in for two days now.
RobDee

Post by RobDee »

Yup...Depot has been FUBAR for at least the last 48. [:(]

-RD
tracer

Post by tracer »

Our new host had a hardware failure. It seems the drive where the Depot was hosted went TU, and it wasn't in a RAID configuration (in an e-mail the owner sent to Bernie, he explained that its the only one not RAID'ed, and was 'scheduled' to be upgraded).

I'm hoping/guessing we'll be back up sometime today.
Jim NSB ImageImage
chief

Post by chief »

Help !! I need a (SPwaw Depot) FIX, Badly........[:@][8|]
"God Bless America and All the Young men and women who give their all to protect Her"....chief
tracer

Post by tracer »

ORIGINAL: chief

Help !! I need a (SPwaw Depot) FIX, Badly........[:@][8|]

You and me both!! [:@]

Here's some of the 'explanation' that B received from the company-owner:
This node was the only one not on RAID and, sadly, was going to make the
transition to RAID in less than a week... talk about bad timing. Our newest
node and the new de facto standard for all of our servers we provision is a
RAID 1+0 setup with 4 hard drives, which would have taken the failure we
experienced last night without issue and without any downtime.

He went on to mention other events that occurred in the 48 hours preceding the crash that explain the problems we were seeing before the site went down.
Jim NSB ImageImage
dutchiexx

Post by dutchiexx »

Let's cross our fingers then, that the Depot will be up and running shortly...
David Heath

Post by David Heath »

Hi Guys

Please let Bernie know if there is anything we can do please let me know.  I hope the site back up shortly.

David

Goblin

Post by Goblin »

ORIGINAL: David Heath

Hi Guys

Please let Bernie know if there is anything we can do please let me know.  I hope the site back up shortly.

David

Thanks David! Appreciate the well-wishes. [8D]

Goblin
Bernie

Post by Bernie »

It's pretty much what Jim said... we had a catastrophic HD failure about 11 PM EST on the 4th.

The good news is... we should be up again in about an hour or two. :)

This is an excerpt of a message I got from the hosting company about 3 PM today.
Fellow Geeks,

We are continuing work to get service restored to all VPS users on Node1 at this time. We expect service to be back online and operational within 4-6 hours. We are relocating the data from the old drive to the new drive at this time, after which service will be restored immediately.

We understand that this incident was unacceptable and for your trouble, we will be providing you a 1 month hosting credit on any accounts affected by this outage. This credit will automatically be applied and will be visible on your billing account within the next 72 hours.

Unfortunately, when dealing with technology, sometimes it will fail. We are very sorry for the trouble we have caused you and your website during this downtime. We understand that you went Geek to experience superior web hosting and, in the last two days, we have failed you. It’s hard for geeks to face a defeat, but we’ll overcome this hurdle and will continue building the best internet playground there is.

Over the last two days this server experienced a primary hard drive failure and a corrupted superblock on the drive containing account data. Normally, in our past experience, an uncomplicated restore of a failed drive is handled within only a couple of hours and service downtime is kept to a minimal. Unfortunately, nothing about this restore was normal or uncomplicated. Every time we saw progress, we also saw a setback, which was disheartening when we thought of all of the geeks affected by this. The biggest delay you’ve seen in restoration of service is waiting on us to safely recover the data from a corrupted drive. At this time, Geek Support has successfully recovered the data and is in the process of restoring your accounts and files to the server. We had to take our time with some of this delicate work because we wanted to ensure 100% restoration and we are sorry for the delay caused by this. In any incident such as this, there are always lessons to be learned… even by the most experienced of Geek Support system administrators. We take this incident very seriously and we’ve already implemented some changes to the way we manage account data and we’ll be implementing more to ensure the best possible safe haven for you and your website.

If you wish to discontinue your service with Geek Storage, please email billing@geekstorage.com and we’ll issue you a full refund of your hosting service. We hope that you’ll stay, but we understand if you need to leave. In the end, we only want what is best for you and your website.

In closing, we would like to extend our thanks for the patience and understanding you have had through this very trying time.

Regards,

Head Geeks
GeekStorage.com
What, me worry?
JEB Davis

Post by JEB Davis »

It's times like these that try men's spwaws.
Reduce SP:WaW slaughter, "Low Carnage":
Settings: 80Spot,80Hit,100R/R,XXXTQ,110TkT,150InfT,180AvSoft,130AvArm,150SOFire / Command & Ctrl ON / AutoRally OFF
Enhanced http://enhanced.freeforums.org
Depot https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/spwawdepot/
Whitmire

Post by Whitmire »

Nope. Still down. Perhaps it was a bit optimistic to think that it would work in a matter of hours...
CrazyCanuck

Post by CrazyCanuck »

[font="arial"]Well it can only get better. But it had to happen at a time that we are Snowed under in Muddy York.
[:(]
[/font]
The Crazy Canuck
sabrejack

Post by sabrejack »

My spwaw.com email address doesn't work anymore either (because of the downed server)... frustrating.

"WE HAVE A SERVER DOWN, I REPEAT, WE HAVE A SERVER DOWN! "
tracer

Post by tracer »

According to the support-forums at our host, they got the servers back up around 1:30PM EST:
We have service restored to almost everyone, however, there are going to be issues likely that have popped up for some. If you encounter anything, please let us know and we'll work to resolve it as quick as possible.

Some are still without service while we resolve an issue with python, however, it shouldn't be much longer until that is resolved.
Jim NSB ImageImage
sabrejack

Post by sabrejack »

I'm still not able to get onto the Depot site. Anyone else?

[&:]
Alby

Post by Alby »

Must be why Enhanced site is busy
[;)]

Whitmire

Post by Whitmire »

Grr. The site opened last night, but I couldn't access the forum. Insert a depressed "yay" here. Now it's down again. That deserves another "yay".
KAIMORG

Post by KAIMORG »

Large withdrawal symptoms, - smells a little fishy to me, new customers, placed on an old machine? - the only one NOT with 4 HD?
I need a fix,
may your gods go with you
CrazyCanuck

Post by CrazyCanuck »

As of 07:58 02/08/08 cannot get to site. Someone was talking about withdrawals
The Crazy Canuck

Return to “Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns”