SPWAW Enhanced 2008 is coming!

SPWaW is a tactical squad-level World War II game on single platoon or up to an entire battalion through Europe and the Pacific (1939 to 1945).

Moderator: MOD_SPWaW

Alby

SPWAW Enhanced 2008 is coming!

Post by Alby »

Yep, thats right, Enhanced is being updated once again for various reasons.
There were some items in the game that alot of gamers hoped would be changed, and a few errors were still being found here and there.
One thing that was just brought to our attention by Mike Wood is that alot of vehicle sizes are still not all correct, so those are being adjusted according to how he assigned the game code to handle them. Size of vehicle is very important in combat and spotting routines.
This is gonna be a big job as a ton of vehicle sizes are incorrect.
as are some AA units, artillery units, wagons, gun teams.
this also includes trucks, armored cars, apcs..etc etc...

heres the "list" as it stands so far.
Not all of you will agree with some of the items, but polls were taken, so we went with what majority voted for.
The opening screen will now indicate "SPWAW ENHANCED DV (OR DVRN) 2008"
so everyone can confirm they are using same version, mostly for pbem purposes.

1. German OOB: early-war panzers and their formations,have been reclassed and rearranged. Additionally, a few formations were found to have been "typed" incorrectly, leading to problems.
2. USMC OOB: Assault Rafts were mis-classed as Ship class instead of Assault Boat class. This resulted in them not moving unless in Deep Water hexes.
3. Some French tanks were mis-sized as size 1, changed these to size 2
4. Soviet IS-IIM tank size changed to match IS-II.
5. USMC M2a4 stuart tank had wrong Gun assigned, changed to 37mm M3 gun (was previously M5 gun)
6. Added "Waffentrupp" (weapons squad) unit to German oob.
Found only in Waffen-SS Kompanie
7. Changed caliber of Japanese type 99 rifle from 6.5mm to 7.7mm in OOBs where it is used.
8. reduced accuracy of Chinese type 88 rifle
9. US and USMC LCVP landing craft armament changed to 2 30 Cal AAMGs
10. UK AOP carrier was mispriced 10 Pts too low.
11. Unit 241 FO Vehicle in Hungary oob had ammo loadout in empty weapons slot, moved to correct slot
12. adjustment to all MG 34 and MG 42 machine Gun stats thru out the OObs. Range of MG34 and MG42 MMG and LMG and AAMG now match. HE kill of MG42s slightly higher than MG34s.
Accuracy of MG34s slightly higher than MG42s
TMGs, CMGs, and BMGs were not changed
13. Greek Engineer Squad unit was showing incorrect size of size 3...corrected to size 1
14. Pz IV G+ had a screw up in the ammo loadout for its machine Guns, so its price was coming out lower than the regular IV G unit, adjusted ammo, then manually priced to 110.
15. Adjusted all T-26 Stats in all OObs to specifications found on website of Russian armor of ww2...the armor ratings were way off on these..also this changed some prices and also a weapon or two was changed.
16. Manually repriced a couple Soviet, German and Finnish units due to odditties where the better unit was actually costing less than the lesser unit.(I.E unit with Pzfst 60 costing less thean exact unit with Pzfst 30)
17. Finnish OOB: Added Knives to Conscript unit 131
18. Soviet OOB: Added bayonets to early Soviet Rifle squad 117 (They were widely used in Winter war)
19. Soviet OOB: Currently unit 177 (Conscripts) has Misc small arms as 3rd weapon, removed this.
20. Increased price of Molotov Launcher for gameplay reasons. (this may change back later)
21. Changed sound for Soviet 7.62 DP LMG
22. Changed the opening screen, Editor, preferences and Encyclopedia music
23. added new LBM for PzRAK 39 (Found in Czech OOB)
24. Changed start date of Soviet Siberian INf to Feb 1940
25. For some reason the Stug III Ausf E was given an AAMG, when actually the Gun was an internal MG34 LMG. Changed weapon to MG34BMG and moved it to slot 4
26. Reworked a few German Inf squads start and end dates.
27. Soviet Model 39 76mm ATG had speed of 4, this should be speed of 1.
28. Soviet OT-133E armor adjusted, it was too high. This goes back to the T26 Armor adjustments. This also lowered the price a little.
29, All Scouts with Rifles as primary weapon and PLt HQ units, had been given shorter range rifles to keep the AI from hurting itself by not revealing these units quite as easily by OP firing at too great a range, however by popular demand, these units have been given back the longer range rifles. Units already armed with SMGs or Carbines were not changed.
30. German FJ 28MM at Gun weight has been decreased so it can now be para dropped.
31. All Motorcycle LMG or MG units (units with MG in slot 1 classed as Prime infantry weapon) have have prices drastically reduced. The prices were coming out way to disperportional to similar "ground" units with same weapon.
32. Hamilcar Glider carry capacity increased
33. Nat Spain Caballeria(cavalry) had MG34 MMG(team weapon) as secondary weapon, should have been LMG(secondary Infantry)
34. Nat Spain Ingrenieros had sactchel charge twice in its list of weapons, so these guys had 12 Satchels. removed double weapon listing and repriced.
35. Poland 'Dakota' cargo aircraft had carry capacity of 128...should have been only 28
fixed, then repriced.
36. Free French unit 146 (FFI Sect.) had HE and AP ammo for Satchel Charge. AP ammo was removed, unit was repriced.
37. Italian FO car unit #47 had wrong price should have been 10 points higher.
38 Waco "cargo" Glider carry capacity increased to 124, this also increased price by about 10 pts.
39. Poland Bren Carriers had different carry capacity than all other Brens throughout the OOBs
40. All Jeeps have had a weight reduction
41. all Kubelwagons and Schimwagons have had a weight reduction
42. Italian 'Gazzi Trialce' has had a weight reduction
43. made some adjustments to Panther armor stats, some were off by 5 mm here and there. this changed price slightly
44. added some "Mech Guard" formations to Sov OOB..Guards only got trucks before while standard Inf got the halftracks. didnt make sense to me.
45.Removed pistols/rifles from all trucks, Jeeps, Barge carriers, prime Movers etc..etc....scout Jeeps and recon vehicles with 2 man crews were left with some sort of weapon.
46. Removed HE ammo from all Molotov type weapons everywhere.
This will make some of you happy and others not so happy...went with what majority voted for.
47. Unit 13 in C China "command car" was armed with AAMG and crew of only 1. Removed the AAMG
48. Chinese bi-planes had greater speed than US P 51s, ummm reduced the speed of those units...
49. Made quite a few addtions to Yugoslavia OOB.
50. Reworked Soviet Infantry classes as far as "Infantry" and "Motorized Infantry". Reclassing of the "motor" classed units give Soviets much more variety of Infantry types to choose from.
51. German Volksturm Group had incorrect size of size 2, should be size 1

OTHER ITEMS:
Some units were found to still have some weapons in wrong spots, spelling errors, name errors, formation errors.......as many as were found have been fixed.

No release date has been set in stone as it were, but it should be available soon.
[:)]

chief

RE: SPWAW Enhanced 2008 is coming!

Post by chief »

Alby: Thanks for all your work and effort, ditto Flash.

To paraphrase, "All Good Things Come to Those Who Wait", so I for one will wait.

Thanks again young fellah.
"God Bless America and All the Young men and women who give their all to protect Her"....chief
Kuokkanen

Post by Kuokkanen »

ORIGINAL: Alby

How about shovels too? I was watching war movie with my father, and he said that shovels were sharpened, and used in close combat along with bayonets and knifes.

[edit]
This is joke. Don't take too seriously [;)]
You know what they say, don't you? About how us MechWarriors are the modern knights, how warfare has become civilized now that we have to abide by conventions and rules of war. Don't believe it.

MekWars
Alby

Post by Alby »

ORIGINAL: Matti Kuokkanen

How about shovels too? I was watching war movie with my father, and he said that shovels were sharpened, and used in close combat along with bayonets and knifes.

[edit]
This is joke. Don't take too seriously [;)]
[;)]

Korpraali V

Post by Korpraali V »

No no no showels... but adding a 'fist' weapon would be realistical. They WERE used in the Winter war. Penetration value 19, range 2, warhead 1, sound ?

Past developers have missed this precious weapon although it really wasn't rare. Here's the pic:

Attachments
fist.jpg
fist.jpg (17.41 KiB) Viewed 388 times
Alby

Post by Alby »

ORIGINAL: Korpraali V

No no no showels... but adding a 'fist' weapon would be realistical. They WERE used in the Winter war. Penetration value 19, range 2, warhead 1, sound ?

Past developers have missed this precious weapon although it really wasn't rare. Here's the pic:

you aint right....
[:D]
what is a shoWel BTW?
[&:]
[:'(]

Korpraali V

Post by Korpraali V »

what is a shoWel BTW?
http://iphone.amazon.com/tag/showel%20gel

[:'(]

As you can see, we didn't use it - it's too modern.

And now, back to the 'fist'...
Alby

Post by Alby »

KG Erwin

Post by KG Erwin »

Alby, thanks for noticing some of the USMC glitches. I changed the LCVP MGs long ago. As for the Assault Boats, I had them classed as Amphib, not knowing that a separate Assault Boat class existed. As for the M2A4, that one slipped by me.

As for the Germans, well, I went my own way on those guys. The early-war Panzer formations were all screwy, so I changed them to suit my preferences. Same goes for the Recon formations. Actual tactical usage didn't always correspond with the KStNs, so I made some adjustments.

The USMC, though, is a special case. They underwent constant changes, and I made some special formations specifically designed for the long-campaign format. The Combat Team is essentially a reinforced company, which turned out nearly as such by the time of Okinawa. Reverse-engineering that organization to 1942 is a problem, but I made some ahistorical decisions in order to simplify upgrading.
Korpraali V

Post by Korpraali V »

Btw: Thanks for your hard work, Alby & the Guys! [:)]
Alby

Post by Alby »

ORIGINAL: Korpraali V

Btw: Thanks for your hard work, Alby & the Guys! [:)]

hey you helped!
[&o]

Sgt.Fury25

Post by Sgt.Fury25 »

my hats off to you people who keep the games updated.thank you!
Alby

Post by Alby »

ORIGINAL: Ronson

my hats off to you people who keep the games updated.thank you!

Thank you kind sir
[:)]

Huffy

Post by Huffy »

yes,...thank you,..and all who are involved to make the game better
Kevin E. Duguay

Post by Kevin E. Duguay »

Alby,

Get your but moving!!! I want an up date!!!!
KED
Riun T

Post by Riun T »

Well I'm just playing one of the last battles of the LLRTV campaign,12/44 as a majorically Indian force,and figure that this latest update u guys have come up with might get me to change from silly old ver.8.4,, nice work guys,can't wait to give Those long campaigns a try.   RT
Alby

Post by Alby »

ORIGINAL: Kevin E. Duguay

Alby,

Get your but moving!!! I want an up date!!!!

hehehe , I am waiting on a little Item from Mr Wood to help finalize it.
[;)]

Alby

Post by Alby »

ORIGINAL: Riun T

Well I'm just playing one of the last battles of the LLRTV campaign,12/44 as a majorically Indian force,and figure that this latest update u guys have come up with might get me to change from silly old ver.8.4,, nice work guys,can't wait to give Those long campaigns a try.   RT
you mean you still are using 8.4, after all this time..
[X(]

Whitmire

Post by Whitmire »

I can't wait, although I'm sure we'll miss the rather obese German Volksturm (size 2), who brought the "heavy" into heavy infantry and those gargantuan Greek engineers. At size 3 they are the stuff of legends - something that Ulysses and his crew had to face on their journeys! Those guys should've had a Carry Capacity of 212!

Boo. The Depot server seems to be down _again_. :/
KG Erwin

Post by KG Erwin »

I wonder how the adjusted unit sizes will affect the sighting routines? Mike had made some comments on unit sizes a few years ago, but I'm not currently involved in the Enhanced project.

I do anticipate some of the complaints, though. First and foremost will be "I can't hit anything!"

Well, sorry, guys, but WWII targeting routines were primitive by today's standards, and that must be understood.

I'm hoping that the new OOBs will give the poor dumb AI a better chance against the human player.

There were previous complaints about the advantages of cover. This may change now.

That being said, I gotta defend the choices made by previous OOB teams. The ONE thing that crippled us was not having Mr. Wood's direct input. He dropped out of the scene for a long long while, and suddenly reappeared. For this, we should all be grateful.

Mr. Wood, out of the blue, sent me an e-mail, and from there the ball started rolling. The breakthrough was Mike's self-adjusting OOB editor. Wow -- that changed everything. My only part in all this is that I became a conduit of info. Since that time, Alby's team has taken the reins and kept the faith.

To me, it's all been a timely confluence of events. Call it serendipity, if you wish. For me, personally, it's truly been a strange and fascinating trip.

Return to “Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns”