Looking for help on an old game

Gamers can also use this forum to chat about any game related subject, news, rumours etc.

Moderator: maddog986

reagan0773

Looking for help on an old game

Post by reagan0773 »

Is there a way to get Steel Panthers III to work on a system with vista?
junk2drive

RE: Looking for help on an old game

Post by junk2drive »

I guess you didn't get an answer in the tech forum or here because nobody knows. Hard enough to get current games working with Vista.

Did you get it to install? If so, find the exe and right click. Then start looking for properties that you can change and maybe there is a Win95 or 98 compatablity selection.
Conflict of Heroes "Most games are like checkers or chess and some have dice and cards involved too. This game plays like checkers but you think like chess and the dice and cards can change everything in real time."
Hertston

Post by Hertston »

It was DOS rather than Windows native wasn't it? You might have more joy with emulation of some sort rather than with Windows compatability settings, although that's certainly worth trying first.

You probably do, but just in case - have you already got the three free SP games (World at War, WW2 and MBT)? They all run in Vista, I think. It's been a long time since I played SP3 but I can't think of many reasons to prefer it to any of them.
Kuokkanen

Post by Kuokkanen »

ORIGINAL: Hertston

It was DOS rather than Windows native wasn't it? You might have more joy with emulation of some sort rather than with Windows compatability settings, although that's certainly worth trying first.
DOSBox and others are worth of try. They don't work with every game: MechWarrior II: Mercenaries doesn't get access CD when it's run with DOSBox.

It's been a long time since I played SP3 but I can't think of many reasons to prefer it to any of them.
SP3 has different scale of combat: more tanks and stuff can be operated with less clicks than with other SP games.
You know what they say, don't you? About how us MechWarriors are the modern knights, how warfare has become civilized now that we have to abide by conventions and rules of war. Don't believe it.

MekWars
Prince of Eckmühl

Post by Prince of Eckmühl »

You could also try some of the virtual machine software that's available from VMWare and Microsoft. VMWare is superior, IMO, but the Microsoft proggys are free. In order to use any of these programs you need to run them in an "upgraded" OS environment such as XP Professional or Vista Ultimate (Business editions will work also). The Home versions of either OS won't work with any of the virtualization software that's available

PoE (aka ivanmoe)
Government is the opiate of the masses.

Return to “General Discussion”