Map editing

John Tiller's Campaign Series exemplifies tactical war-gaming at its finest by bringing you the entire collection of TalonSoft's award-winning campaign series. Containing TalonSoft's West Front, East Front, and Rising Sun platoon-level combat series, as well as all of the official add-ons and expansion packs, the Matrix Edition allows players to dictate the events of World War II from the tumultuous beginning to its climatic conclusion. We are working together with original programmer John Tiller to bring you this updated edition.

Moderators: Jason Petho, Peter Fisla, asiaticus, dogovich

baltjes

Map editing

Post by baltjes »

Notice to all and question for Jason.

When developping a West Front scenario in which (panzer)trains are intended to be used, I noticed the following:

It is possible to create both a road AND a railroad through the same hexside. However, when 'playtesting' the scenario, the trains refuse to cross such a hexside. Any time that a train is 'ordered' to make such a move, a message pups up ('can not enter current terrain type' or something like that. This holds for both paved- and unpaved roads, but not for a path!

So, everybody who wants to make scenario's with train transport features should be aware that railroads and non-railroads must not intersect the same hexside. And, o yes, be sure that your railroads are totally running through villages, towns and cities. If not so, it is litterary 'end of the journey'.

A consequence of this all is that in some situations, the position of the road system is deviant from reality (history) and there are situations where you have to decide on loosing a game function (train transport) and being geographically correct or smuggling with geography and making use of a new gaming feature. For example, I had to decide to create a seperate brigde over a full hex river just to have motorized traffic and trains able to be crossing that river. I did not so, however, since the real situation at the spot is one bridge for both cars and trains. Creating an extra bridge would have influenced the militairy situation to a too large extend. In stead of that, I decided to delete the road from that bridge (just leaving the railroad), taking the consequence that vehicles will cross the river a little slower.

My question for Jason:
Is it possible to to change the programme in such a way that both railroad- and road transport is possible through the same hexside (just as with railroads and paths)?

And, oh yes Jason, another question (although not belonging to this thread), I noticed that the Artillery spotters have Line of sight (or visability feature) as if they were ground units; their visabilty is hampered by woods, cities, terrain elevations etc. etc. just as with normal ground units. Is that the intension? I think that Art Spotters should have a circle of visability (e.g. as wide as the visibility range in the scenario).

With regards,

Hajo Baltjes
Jason Petho

RE: Map editing

Post by Jason Petho »

ORIGINAL: baltjes

Notice to all and question for Jason.

When developping a West Front scenario in which (panzer)trains are intended to be used, I noticed the following:

It is possible to create both a road AND a railroad through the same hexside. However, when 'playtesting' the scenario, the trains refuse to cross such a hexside. Any time that a train is 'ordered' to make such a move, a message pups up ('can not enter current terrain type' or something like that. This holds for both paved- and unpaved roads, but not for a path!

So, everybody who wants to make scenario's with train transport features should be aware that railroads and non-railroads must not intersect the same hexside. And, o yes, be sure that your railroads are totally running through villages, towns and cities. If not so, it is litterary 'end of the journey'.

I noticed this as well, and have explained it in the upcoming, new manual.
A consequence of this all is that in some situations, the position of the road system is deviant from reality (history) and there are situations where you have to decide on loosing a game function (train transport) and being geographically correct or smuggling with geography and making use of a new gaming feature. For example, I had to decide to create a seperate brigde over a full hex river just to have motorized traffic and trains able to be crossing that river. I did not so, however, since the real situation at the spot is one bridge for both cars and trains. Creating an extra bridge would have influenced the militairy situation to a too large extend. In stead of that, I decided to delete the road from that bridge (just leaving the railroad), taking the consequence that vehicles will cross the river a little slower.

They should be slowing down anyway! *laughs*
My question for Jason:
Is it possible to to change the programme in such a way that both railroad- and road transport is possible through the same hexside (just as with railroads and paths)?

Eventually, yes.
And, oh yes Jason, another question (although not belonging to this thread), I noticed that the Artillery spotters have Line of sight (or visability feature) as if they were ground units; their visabilty is hampered by woods, cities, terrain elevations etc. etc. just as with normal ground units. Is that the intension? I think that Art Spotters should have a circle of visability (e.g. as wide as the visibility range in the scenario).

A limitation for now. Eventually Artillery Spotters and other Reconnaissance Aircraft will have a height associated with their LOS Capabilities, but that will come with a later update.

Jason Petho

Return to “John Tiller's Campaign Series”