How Old Are You?

Share your gameplay tips, secret tactics and fabulous strategies with fellow gamers.

Moderators: wdolson, Don Bowen, mogami

wwengr

RE: How Old Are You?

Post by wwengr »

ORIGINAL: Mike Solli

ORIGINAL: klhbekool

I wouldn't mind having a copy of that classic game, where can I get one ?

I sold my copy of WitP about a year ago for about $300. I used the cash to buy Decision Games' new remake of WitP. I got it for $340 when it first came out. It's up to $420 now. [X(]
It is currently available on eBay for $328. Just search on "War in the Pacific", then select "Games"
I have been inputting my orders for the campaign game first turn since July 4, 2009. I'm getting close. In another month or two, I might be able to run the turn!
Yamato hugger

Post by Yamato hugger »

I still have all my old games. Just about everything AH made (3R is STILL my all time favorite game), most of SPIs good titles. I too have DNO et al from GDW. I also have almost every game GG made as well as most of SSI and Talonsofts games (dating back to the Apple II versions, and yes, my Apple II still works). Not to mention several miniatures rules sets ranging from SEAPOWER, to Modern Warfare (land armor 80's) to Napolionics miniatures (and yes, I still have all my old figures that I spent nearly an hour apiece painting).

War in the Pacific is in there as well, but truth be told, never really cared for it. Prefered USN - a game that came with a S&T mag.
wwengr

Post by wwengr »

ORIGINAL: Yamato hugger

IWar in the Pacific is in there as well, but truth be told, never really cared for it....

It really was virtually unplayable.
I have been inputting my orders for the campaign game first turn since July 4, 2009. I'm getting close. In another month or two, I might be able to run the turn!
madgamer2

Post by madgamer2 »

ORIGINAL: wwengr

ORIGINAL: Yamato hugger

IWar in the Pacific is in there as well, but truth be told, never really cared for it....

It really was virtually unplayable.

The only large game I bought was SPI's War in Europe.....(Right title?) where the east and west front were actually in slightly different scales. I was at the big Origons convention it 77 at Ann Habor MI and saw several guys trying to set up and play SPI's War In The Pacific, and it just did not seem worth it to spend all that money for a game I would never play let alone set up. It was about then I started to wish for better computer games .....and here we are.(SIGH)

Madgamer
If your not part of the solution
You are part of the problem
Mynok

Post by Mynok »

VG's game of the period was actually quite good and very playable. Was is Pacific War? [&:]
"Measure civilization by the ability of citizens to mock government with impunity" -- Unknown
Mike Solli

Post by Mike Solli »

ORIGINAL: Mynok

VG's game of the period was actually quite good and very playable. Was is Pacific War? [&:]

Yeah, it was pretty good. I still have it. I actually finished the campaign once. The Allies won but the US Navy was gutted in the process. I still have the final numbers floating around somewhere at home. I think the Kaga was the only Japanese prewar carrier to survive.
Created by the amazing Dixie
Mynok

Post by Mynok »

There was no way to help your pilot pool in that game.
"Measure civilization by the ability of citizens to mock government with impunity" -- Unknown
Mike Solli

Post by Mike Solli »

There was no way to help your pilot pool in that game.

That was pretty much true. You had to pull out pilots from the training pool with the most highly trained yanked first, much like AE will be. I do remember a 10% chance of a lvl 0 or 1 unit gaining a lvl of experience from combat (assuming they survived).
Mynok

Post by Mynok »

Yes there was experience increase but nothing like Witp. By the end of the war the Japs were throwing level 0 guys around almost exclusively.

I loved the operational aspects of the game. It just felt right.
herwin

Post by herwin »

Yes there was experience increase but nothing like Witp. By the end of the war the Japs were throwing level 0 guys around almost exclusively.

It didn't get the time/space mesh right, though, with the variable turn lengths. The time scale was in units of fuel.
Harry Erwin
"For a number to make sense in the game, someone has to calibrate it and program code. There are too many significant numbers that behave non-linearly to expect that. It's just a game. Enjoy it." herwin@btinternet.com
EdM

Post by EdM »

I had most of SPI games and Strategy & Tactics Magines from 1973 . Then my wife sold them on ebay when I started playing the compuerized versions of the games. Some of major games went for over 300 in poor condition. Oddly most were sold overseas
madgamer2

Post by madgamer2 »

I don't know but the game I played was designed by Gary G. and I don't know the company that published it

Madgamer
If your not part of the solution
You are part of the problem
Mynok

Post by Mynok »

This wasn't a computer game. I've played GGs Pacific War too. This was a board game and a good one.

wwengr

Post by wwengr »

ORIGINAL: madgamer

I don't know but the game I played was designed by Gary G. and I don't know the company that published it

Madgamer

Gary Gygax of TSR Hobbies, Inc.?[:D]
Mynok

Post by Mynok »

Not the GG I meant......[:D]
HMS Resolution

Post by HMS Resolution »

I actually own the new monster War in the Pacific board wargame. It's mammoth.
wwengr

Post by wwengr »

Not the GG I meant......[:D]

"USS Yorktown is struck by a sleep spell and is out of action for six rounds..."
Mike Solli

Post by Mike Solli »

ORIGINAL: HMS Resolution

I actually own the new monster War in the Pacific board wargame. It's mammoth.

I do also. I was a bit disappointed that supply is now abstracted.
Mike Solli

Post by Mike Solli »

The new War in the Pacific from Decision Games incorporated some parts of Pacific War. The land combat comes to mind immediately. Can't think of some of the other parts offhand.
Knavey

Post by Knavey »

In Gary Gygax's WitP, Hiroshima and Nagasaki disappeared when a magician hit them with the fireball spell...oh wait.  Nevermind. [:D]
x-Nuc twidget
CVN-71
USN 87-93
"Going slow in the fast direction"

Return to “The War Room”