good acting/comedy but only once

Gamers can also use this forum to chat about any game related subject, news, rumours etc.

Moderator: maddog986

Zap

good acting/comedy but only once

Post by Zap »

How about actors who gave only one or two good performances but the rest of thier work stunk.

Who comes to mind for me is Eddie Murphy. He was great as a Saturday Night Live cast member/Dream Girls most recently. But the majority of his work stinks.
JudgeDredd

RE: good acting/comedy but only once

Post by JudgeDredd »

Coming to America
Trading Places
Beverly Hills Cop 1 (and maybe 2 if I've drank enough)
The Nutty Professor

Come on.......he's a legend!
Alba gu' brath
JudgeDredd

Post by JudgeDredd »

Sorry...went off topic immediately, but I couldn't let you walk away with that sniper shot at one of the funniest US comedians. [:D]

For me, Steve Martin. I like him and a couple of his movies were excellent (Planes Trains and Automobiles was the most classic eva...and Dirty Rotten Scoundrels made me cry it was sooooo funny)....but Roxanne?...Father of the Bride 2 (1 was ok)? and I don't think he's a particularly good stand up comedian.
Alba gu' brath
Zap

Post by Zap »

ORIGINAL: JudgeDredd

Coming to America
Trading Places
The Nutty Professor

Ok, i"ll give you Beverley Hills Cop1 the rest are mediocre performances.

Did you know that he is up for the award of worst acting. The Razzie nomination he has it in the bag. This award is givin each year to the worst performances.
JudgeDredd

Post by JudgeDredd »

Well...I guess it just goes to show how diverse humankind really is! [:D]
Alba gu' brath
morvwilson

Post by morvwilson »

My first thought is Bed Afleck, but he does not qualify. Can't think of a role he has done that was good.[:(]
I liked Steve Martin for his King Tut song but after that[>:]

River Pheonix did two good roles in Stand By Me and the beginning of the 3rd Indiana Jones movie. But then died of a drug over dose. [8|]

I guess one that would qualify would be the guy that played Luke Skywalker in Star Wars, but I can't think of anything else he has done.

What about the male half of the cast of the sit com Friends?
http://www.outskirtspress.com/Feud_MichaelWilson

Courage is not measured by the presence of fear, but by what a person does when they are scared!
elcidce

Post by elcidce »

Steve Martin in the Jerk is a classic. You have to give that to him.
The Citadel
G Company
Class of 1991
Challerain

Post by Challerain »

Don't forget Eddie in 48 Hours - a true classic.
Marauders

Post by Marauders »

Bed Affleck was fine in Goodwill Hunting and Dazed and Confused.  He is much better in a supporting role.

Robin Williams is really hit and miss.  He was very good in Goodwill Hunting, but Toys and some of his other work really stinks.
Rooster

Post by Rooster »

Jason Schwartzman.... brilliant in Rushmore... lousy in everything else.
Phatguy

Post by Phatguy »

Sorry...went off topic immediately, but I couldn't let you walk away with that sniper shot at one of the funniest US comedians. [:D]

For me, Steve Martin. I like him and a couple of his movies were excellent (Planes Trains and Automobiles was the most classic eva...and Dirty Rotten Scoundrels made me cry it was sooooo funny)....but Roxanne?...Father of the Bride 2 (1 was ok)? and I don't think he's a particularly good stand up comedian.

You must have missed the 70's.......
My life is complete. 1000 Matrix posts.....
martxyz

Post by martxyz »

ORIGINAL: morvwilson

I guess one that would qualify would be the guy that played Luke Skywalker in Star Wars, but I can't think of anything else he has done.

What about the male half of the cast of the sit com Friends?

I think Mark hamill may have been in The Big Red One

The male half of Friends I think have probably done as badly as the female half. [;)]
morvwilson

Post by morvwilson »

Probably right there mart! But at least the female half of Friends were easier on the eyes![8D]
http://www.outskirtspress.com/Feud_MichaelWilson

Courage is not measured by the presence of fear, but by what a person does when they are scared!
martxyz

Post by martxyz »

Probably right there mart! But at least the female half of Friends were easier on the eyes![8D]

Well - maybe :). I quite like Lisa Kudrow, for her slightly whacky personality. The other two - don't think so. The Aniston "effect" is a bit short-lived, especially when you see her plus dull personality, but without a good script.When Aniston is older, she will never have the timeless beauty of an interesting and intelligent person like Lauren Bacall
But thinking of Star Wars, I've seen Carrie Fisher interviewed a few times recently, and though she's had her problems, she is such a character.

I've strayed from the topic. Sorry fellas.
Twotribes

Post by Twotribes »

ORIGINAL: Zap

Coming to America
Trading Places
The Nutty Professor

Ok, i"ll give you Beverley Hills Cop1 the rest are mediocre performances.

Did you know that he is up for the award of worst acting. The Razzie nomination he has it in the bag. This award is givin each year to the worst performances.

I would rather watch all his "bad" movies then some of the crap we get now a days. I rather like his stuff. Ohh and I like Steve Martins stuff as well.
Favoritism is alive and well here.
Jeffrey H.

Post by Jeffrey H. »

ORIGINAL: apathetic lurker

Sorry...went off topic immediately, but I couldn't let you walk away with that sniper shot at one of the funniest US comedians. [:D]

You must have missed the 70's.......

Yeah, back in the day he was a great stand up comic.

Although I agree in general, after "The Jerk" and his "Wild and Crazy Kind of Guys" SNL stuff he really went flat.
History began July 4th, 1776. Anything before that was a mistake.

Ron Swanson
Jeffrey H.

Post by Jeffrey H. »

ORIGINAL: Mart

Well - maybe :). I quite like Lisa Kudrow, for her slightly whacky personality. The other two - don't think so. The Aniston "effect" is a bit short-lived, especially when you see her plus dull personality, but without a good script.When Aniston is older, she will never have the timeless beauty of an interesting and intelligent person like Lauren Bacall
But thinking of Star Wars, I've seen Carrie Fisher interviewed a few times recently, and though she's had her problems, she is such a character.

I've strayed from the topic. Sorry fellas.

Carrie was good in "The 'Burbs" opposite Tom Hanks.

History began July 4th, 1776. Anything before that was a mistake.

Ron Swanson
JMHawkins

Post by JMHawkins »

The male half of Friends I think have probably done as badly as the female half

Watching David Schwimmer in "Band of Brothers" was tough.  He might have done a decent acting job, but I'm not sure.   I just kept thinking "man, Ross is really being a jerk." 

-----------------------
-JohnH
-----------------------
Marauders

Post by Marauders »

Watching David Schwimmer in "Band of Brothers" was tough.  He might have done a decent acting job, but I'm not sure.   I just kept thinking "man, Ross is really being a jerk."

Some friends have trouble with him in that part, but I had an XO just like him in basic training, and he was dead on.

It was a little tough for me to get into the Ted Danson part in Band of Brothers.  He actually played the part rather well, but I had that same kind of "TV guy" thought that I could not escape to suspend disbelief.

Return to “General Discussion”