Picture from Mars shows humanoid figure?

Gamers can also use this forum to chat about any game related subject, news, rumours etc.

Moderator: maddog986

Hortlund

Picture from Mars shows humanoid figure?

Post by Hortlund »

The era of procrastination, of half-measures, of soothing and baffling expedients, of delays, is coming to a close.
In its place we are entering a period of consequences..
Erik Rutins

RE: Picture from Mars shows humanoid figure?

Post by Erik Rutins »

That looks like a re-used picture from the old "In Search Of" Sasquatch episode. [;)]
Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.
Terminus

Post by Terminus »

I'd feel pretty stupid for making a story out of that if I were Sky News... This is tabloid garbage...
We are all dreams of the Giant Space Butterfly.
Hortlund

Post by Hortlund »

ORIGINAL: Terminus

I'd feel pretty stupid for making a story out of that if I were Sky News... This is tabloid garbage...

Its all over the news here, including one of the most respected newspapers.
The era of procrastination, of half-measures, of soothing and baffling expedients, of delays, is coming to a close.
HansBolter

Post by HansBolter »

Remember the "Face on Mars"?

Overly creative interpretation of low res photos can lead to some decidely extravagant ideas!

Soome one even wrote a book about the so called face on Mars called City on the Edge of Forever (overly obvious reference to a Star Trek episode) wherein he "interpreted" many rock outcroppings and shadows around the "face" to represent degraded structures of a lost civilazation.

All the overly creative interpretations were dispelled when some high res photos finally showed the "face" to be nothing more than an irregular shaped mesa.
Hans

morvwilson

Post by morvwilson »

ORIGINAL: Panzerjaeger Hortlund

http://news.sky.com/skynews/article/0,, ... html?f=rss

or is it a piece of rock?
I would say, peice of rock and slow news day and 24hrs of air to fill.

And as for "respected news papers" I would ask respected by whom?
http://www.outskirtspress.com/Feud_MichaelWilson

Courage is not measured by the presence of fear, but by what a person does when they are scared!
Hortlund

Post by Hortlund »

ORIGINAL: morvwilson

http://news.sky.com/skynews/article/0,, ... html?f=rss

or is it a piece of rock?

And as for "respected news papers" I would ask respected by whom?

Their readers?
Terminus

Post by Terminus »

I'm sure Fox News' viewers respect them as well... That doesn't mean they're not full of crap...
Hortlund

Post by Hortlund »

Whatever. All of the newspapers in Sweden are like Fox...got it.

morvwilson

Post by morvwilson »

Pzh, sorry if I sounded a little too negative there. Around my neighborhood, newspaper sales are declining fast. There were once 4 major newspapers published with 20 miles of my home. Now, one has gone out of business and two others have filed for bankruptcy.

I would say Terminus has it half right, Fox news I fiind is about 50% fertilizer. Newspapers and other news outlets are worse. The trick is in the filtering.

As to the story you posted, I remember years ago when I lived in Denver Colorado, there was a slow news day. The local news casters aired a story about a study of college students fiinger and toe nail clippings. (realy, no exageration here!) The whole cast was laughing histerically before the end of the story!

Courage is not measured by the presence of fear, but by what a person does when they are scared!
Terminus

Post by Terminus »

No, Hortlund... I'm not going to get drawn into another one of your screaming matches. I'm not with the SH crew...
Hortlund

Post by Hortlund »

No, Hortlund... I'm not going to get drawn into another one of your screaming matches. I'm not with the SH crew...

I dont even know what the SH crew is.

Anyway, I find it far far more plausible that the picture is of a rock, than that all newspapers in Sweden have a secret agenda to transform themselves into "my dog was eaten by an alien"-type newspapers.
Marauders

Post by Marauders »

From Solarviews.com:

The average recorded temperature on Mars is -63° C (-81° F) with a maximum temperature of 20° C (68° F) and a minimum of -140° C (-220° F).

I hope the humanoid has a nice coat for the cold nights and some tanning lotion for the days. The ultraviolet rays penetrating the thin Mars atmosphere are a killer, as are the cosmic rays; Mars does not have the same ozone layer or magnetic field protection that Earth has.

Global dust storms on Mars can lasts months, but perhaps that is a shovel in his hand. That is a good thing too, because he likely would have to eat rocks. No lander on Mars has detected even a trace of plant life.

Of course, it could be an alien from some other star system just checking things out for a forward base camp.

Attachments
Alien.jpg
Alien.jpg (71.77 KiB) Viewed 187 times
HansBolter

Post by HansBolter »

I'm sure Fox News' viewers respect them as well... That doesn't mean they're not full of crap...

And we all know the same can be said of CNN and National Communist Radio (aka NPR)!
Hans

martxyz

Post by martxyz »

Hi Morv (?) I know only a bit about newspapers in large countries like the US and Australia, but I do know that there is this syndication thing where people get the national and internatuional news from "local" newspapers, who in turn get it from a larger source. This can make it hard to know what the politics and biases of the various papers are. I know the US has some fine BIG newspapers with honourable histories, but as I undertsand it, a lot of people use the local papers. In the UK, because we are small, you tend to be able (if you are motivated) to reliably buy a newspaper that you can usually trust, and maybe shares a critical world view, but one to which you are sympathertic. We also have the "serious papers" and the "red tops" (the dreaded tabloids). One good side effect of this is that just as big TV news setups can be dangerous and be very biased, in the UK we still have things like the BBC, and also, in the intelligent papers, really hot commentators, reporters, and investigative journalists, who can still keep the TV on it's toes. I hear that FOX is a nightmare.
It is said that the days of good investigative journalism are passing, and I for one remember the hugely influential and controversial reports from the likes of the great John Pilger. I think we have this dangerous idea that the internet, and blogging, will do the job instead. It certainly does expose a lot of scandals, but if you want to go for the big structural stories of who does what, knows what, says what,and what thir motives are, then you need an intelligent and dogged journalist. Maybe newspapers have plenty of mileage in them, along with some of the more exciting documentary makers.
If anybody reading this has never heard of John Pilger I HIGHLY recommend looking him up. He is one hell of a phenomenon. I think that when he was most active, quite a few people would have preferred him dead. His reporting stretches all the way back to the Black Civil Rights struggle, mutinies in the US army in Vietnam, the inavasion of Timor by Indonesia, the horrors of Cambodia. He's Australian and he broke nearly all the best stories of the 20th century.  A great, brave, radical humanitarian. To be honest, I'm surpised he's still alive! Even if you didn't agree with him, you had to respect him. he does have views on the current world situation but that's for another forum, which I will probably avoid.

As for the Martian, I suspect it's not one of Pilger's stories.

Incidentally, I'm not getting into any stupid arguments - especially when I have no idea what they're about.

Martin  [:)]
cdbeck

Post by cdbeck »

The phenomenon is called, ironically enough, matrixing. This is the detection of familiar patterns by the brain from the placement of shadows, photographic "noise", errors in the exposure, etc. This is often seen when people stare at screens, rock formations, shadows in the dark, whatever. You mind wants to make these things into objects it wants to see. Fairly common in the case of "ghosts" in pictures of empty rooms, or aliens, or UFO sightings in clouds. Matrixing can also happen with audio, and is common when people look for EVP (electronic voice phenomenon).

This pic will undoubtedly make it to my favorite mag The Fortean Times. They will pick it apart. I will say that it looks a little like a production still from the well known UK hoax movie Alternative 3. If you know what I am referring to, you get a cookie!

SoM
"Neca eos omnes. Deus suos agnoscet!"
(Kill them all. God will know his own.)

-- Arnaud-Armaury, the Albigensian Crusade
HansBolter

Post by HansBolter »

ORIGINAL: Son_of_Montfort

The phenomenon is called, ironically enough, matrixing. This is the detection of familiar patterns by the brain from the placement of shadows, photographic "noise", errors in the exposure, etc. This is often seen when people stare at screens, rock formations, shadows in the dark, whatever. You mind wants to make these things into objects it wants to see. Fairly common in the case of "ghosts" in pictures of empty rooms, or aliens, or UFO sightings in clouds. Matrixing can also happen with audio, and is common when people look for EVP (electronic voice phenomenon).

This pic will undoubtedly make it to my favorite mag The Fortean Times. They will pick it apart. I will say that it looks a little like a production still from the well known UK hoax movie Alternative 3. If you know what I am referring to, you get a cookie!

SoM

Gee, doesn't that cloud lok like a dragon? And that one looks like a fire truck! And the one over there looks like a Matrix games logo!

Same phenom?
Hans

HansBolter

Post by HansBolter »

Hans

morvwilson

Post by morvwilson »

Hey Mart,
If you have found a good paper or some columns to check out great! There are a few columns I like to check but they are available on line for free. No need to subscribe. And you are right, our papers can get stories from associated press (ap) and Reuters. But even those sources I have found to be factually incorrect way more often than they should; without even counting the political side of things.

So, I have found newspapers most usefull for, house breaking dogs, painting projects or cleaning windows.

I tend to get my news from radio, internet and sometimes TV, when I can get the kids to stop watching Spoungebob[:D]

Hanal

Post by Hanal »

Everyone knows that is Starsha from the planet Iscandar.....sheesh![8|]

Return to “General Discussion”