Tactical Reserve & Local Reserve

Post advice on tactics and strategies here; share your experience on how to become a better wargamer.

Moderators: ralphtricky, JAMiAM

largo

Tactical Reserve & Local Reserve

Post by largo »

Hi,

I do not see too well the meaning of “Tactical Reserve and Local Reserve”.How can you use them?Only on defence? Are they using to stop enemy attacking? Than how?

Thanks for your answers! [;)]
"The war is only the simple continuation of the policy by other means"- Carl von Clausewitz -

"La guerre n'est que la simple continuation de la politique par d'autres moyens" - Carl von Clausewitz -
a white rabbit

RE: Tactical Reserve & Local Reserve

Post by a white rabbit »

..tactical reserve, other than artillery, only react to enemy actions in the adjacent hexes..

..tac res for artillery means it will defensive fire in suppport of friendly troops within it's range, assuming co-operation..

..Local reserve will move to counter enemy actions within it's movement range, does not apply to ranged artillery fire, but does apply to an artillery unit..
..toodA, irmAb moAs'lyB 'exper'mentin'..,..beàn'tus all..?,
ColinWright

Post by ColinWright »

I use these settings very little -- except of course to permit artillery to support attacks during my turn. On the other hand, I've played opponents who use them a lot.

I really tear them to pieces in consequence. Why I don't use the settings myself.
I am not Charlie Hebdo
rhinobones

Post by rhinobones »

On occasion I use the tactical reserve setting to shore up critical defensive lines that I expect to be assaulted.  Seems to fit the WW I mentality.

Regards, RhinoBones
Colin Wright:
Pre Combat Air Strikes # 64 . . . I need have no concern about keeping it civil

Post by broccolini » Sun Nov 06, 2022
. . . no-one needs apologize for douchebags acting like douchebags
L`zard

Post by L`zard »

ORIGINAL: ColinWright

I use these settings very little -- except of course to permit artillery to support attacks during my turn. On the other hand, I've played opponents who use them a lot.

I really tear them to pieces in consequence. Why I don't use the settings myself.

Colin, may I ask in what sort of games? W2, moderns, etc etc?
"I have the brain of a genius, and the heart of a little child! I keep them in a jar under my bed."

ColinWright

Post by ColinWright »

ORIGINAL: L`zard

World War Two, generally. The most historically recent scenario I've ever played was the disc Korea.
I am not Charlie Hebdo
L`zard

Post by L`zard »

ORIGINAL: L`zard

World War Two, generally. The most historically recent scenario I've ever played was the disc Korea.

Well, that says lots, eh?

Like Rhino, I like these settings, but then I spend most of my time in WW1, lol, where they work nicely (assuming you don't mind getting hurt on a regular basis, lol!, which if your into ww1, you'd better be..) and seem to me to do what the advertisements portray....

Something about 'scale', do ya suppose? or will it be 'all about the equipments..?

Anyway, Largo....

I'd suggest you play vs the PO in several different period games and make your own value judgements on this issue...

I will admit that the 'local reserve' setting can really get you into something you had not planned on, LOL!

"I have the brain of a genius, and the heart of a little child! I keep them in a jar under my bed."

golden delicious

Post by golden delicious »

At the most basic level, using this feature allows your opponent to move your units- albeit not very freely.

If the hex isn't vital, then use your reserve units as the bones of a defence in depth. If the hex is vital (though if such a hex is on the frontline you've probably already lost it) and the density penalty isn't a problem, stick those reserve units up front. If the density penalty is a problem, then I suppose tactical reserve can add to the defence of that vital hex.

Local reserve is too random. Don't use it.
"What did you read at university?"
"War Studies"
"War? Huh. What is it good for?"
"Absolutely nothing."
brucekg

Post by brucekg »

May I ask, how do you use these settings to influence your artillery support of attacks.

Thank you.
sPzAbt653

Post by sPzAbt653 »

Artillery supports cooperative units within range on defense . Don't use Tactical or Local settings as the units will then move around willy-nilly and either run into a ground attack or move in a silly direction.
JAMiAM

Post by JAMiAM »

ORIGINAL: sPzAbt653

Artillery supports cooperative units within range on defense . Don't use Tactical or Local settings as the units will then move around willy-nilly and either run into a ground attack or move in a silly direction.
Artillery on Tactical Reserve no longer does this. It will support without moving. This change was in the last patch, or the one before. Forget which.
ColinWright

Post by ColinWright »

ORIGINAL: brucekg

May I ask, how do you use these settings to influence your artillery support of attacks.

Thank you.

When you're attacking, sometimes a given artillery unit has used up more of it's MP's than the other units one is assigning to the attack. Actually assigning the unit would burn up a lot of turn -- but if one sets the artillery to 'reserve' it'll fire half it's strength in support of the attack without burning up your turn.

Example:

Attacking infantry unit A has 100% of its turn left.

Artillery unit A has 100% of its turn left.

Artillery unit B has 30% of its turn left.

Assign Artillery unit A to the attack. Set Artillery unit B to 'tactical reserve' but don't assign it to the attack.
I am not Charlie Hebdo
rhinobones

Post by rhinobones »

Would like to see a change where units that are moved due to being in the reserve status have the ability to entrench after movement.  This, of course, is provided that they have at least one movement point remaining. 

Also, it seems that a unit should have the capacity to have both an entrenchment and reserve status.  I do not think that entrenched and reserve statuses are mutually exclusive.  There is plenty of room on the unit counter to display both the entrenchment and reserve status.

Regards, RhinoBones
Colin Wright:

golden delicious

Post by golden delicious »

ORIGINAL: rhinobones

Would like to see a change where units that are moved due to being in the reserve status have the ability to entrench after movement.  This, of course, is provided that they have at least one movement point remaining.

Hm. The trouble is, if it's on local reserve, how does the unit know when it's finished moving? If it's on tactical reserve, the hex it will have moved into will be under attack at the time.

I don't think this is really useful. If the unit is moving up from reserve, it probably won't be even remotely well-prepared to defend the new hex.
Also, it seems that a unit should have the capacity to have both an entrenchment and reserve status.  I do not think that entrenched and reserve statuses are mutually exclusive.  There is plenty of room on the unit counter to display both the entrenchment and reserve status.

I dunno. If everyone's all set to move off when the call comes, they can't simultaneously be set up in an optimal defensive position, and they certainly can't be holed up in bunkers with their guns set up.
"What did you read at university?"
"War Studies"
"War? Huh. What is it good for?"
"Absolutely nothing."
Karri

Post by Karri »

ORIGINAL: golden delicious
I dunno. If everyone's all set to move off when the call comes, they can't simultaneously be set up in an optimal defensive position, and they certainly can't be holed up in bunkers with their guns set up.

They can be set up in a optimal defensive position, and be ready to move within a few hours. Depends on the scale aswell. A platoon can make a counter-attack pretty fast into a lost position in the company area. Etc.
A division it would take some time to get on the move, but this doesn't mean they couldn't be in defensive positions before that.
ColinWright

Post by ColinWright »

ORIGINAL: Karri

ORIGINAL: golden delicious

They can be set up in a optimal defensive position, and be ready to move within a few hours. Depends on the scale aswell. A platoon can make a counter-attack pretty fast into a lost position in the company area. Etc.
A division it would take some time to get on the move, but this doesn't mean they couldn't be in defensive positions before that.

Sorta like I can have my car all set up to put that new radiator in and be ready to run down to the grocery store.

I'm sorry -- but I don't see it. A regiment that's got itself and its artillery all deployed and spread out through five miles of bunkers and firing positions is not the same as a regiment that's standing by ready to move.
I am not Charlie Hebdo
rhinobones

Post by rhinobones »

We are talking Tactical Reserve, not Local Reserve.

Regimental scale, time wise probably half week or one week turns . . . and you’re telling me that is not adequate time to move to a new position (a position that is already occupied and at least partially prepared by friendly forces).    

I'm sorry -- but I don't see it.

Think this really displays the pundit’s lack of first hand experience.  The ability of a combat unit to move, and to find cover while under fire, is being vastly understated.   

Regards, RhinoBones
Colin Wright:

el cid

Post by el cid »

I sometimes use armor in "T" behind an infantry defense line. It comes as a surprise to the attacker when he thinks he is just going to hit infantry, and then faces armour. If he cannot kill the armour he will end up burning his turn.
ColinWright

Post by ColinWright »

ORIGINAL: rhinobones

We are talking Tactical Reserve, not Local Reserve.

Regimental scale, time wise probably half week or one week turns . . . and you’re telling me that is not adequate time to move to a new position (a position that is already occupied and at least partially prepared by friendly forces).

I'm sorry -- but I don't see it.

Think this really displays the pundit’s lack of first hand experience. The ability of a combat unit to move, and to find cover while under fire, is being vastly understated.

Regards, RhinoBones

Really? What's your 'first hand experience' -- and what range of conditions and scales does it cover?

Point being that OPART covers a wide range of scales, unit capabilities, etc. Obviously, a mechanized battalion deployed over a 2 km front might be able to pull up stakes pretty quick when it gets the word -- but whether the same applies to a 1916 Russian infantry corps dug in across 20 kilometers is another question.

In general, though, it seems a tad odd to me that a unit could be simultaneously entrenched to hold a given sector and ready to move out at a moments' notice. Certainly, it's not a change I think would necessarily improve the game.
I am not Charlie Hebdo
ColinWright

Post by ColinWright »

ORIGINAL: el cid

I sometimes use armor in "T" behind an infantry defense line. It comes as a surprise to the attacker when he thinks he is just going to hit infantry, and then faces armour. If he cannot kill the armour he will end up burning his turn.

Yeah -- that could work well. In fact, I think that the rare times I've used tactical reserve would be as you describe.

Also, fairly realistic. I'm reminded of the lead elements of the German armored division turning up towards the end of the festivities at Dieppe. As it turned out, they weren't needed -- but it would be a classic example of what 'reserve deployment' is supposed to simulate. Had the Canadians in fact been driving the static infantry back from the waterfront, they would have run into German tanks coming the other way -- all in the same 'turn.'
I am not Charlie Hebdo

Return to “The War Room”