WIR fan site

War in Russia is a free update of the old classic, available in our Downloads section.
dave_wolf

WIR fan site

Post by dave_wolf »

Happy New Year and happy hunting, everybody!

Some of you might know me. I went by "davewolf", without the silly underline. But since I lost my password and the registered email account doesn't exist any more...

Anywho, once upon a time I set up a website for WIR stuff which could be found at: warinrussia.daves-universe.com
Please note: That address has changed. You can now find it here: warinrussia.davewolf.de
It's obviously not finished yet, but you can still download the game (with Arnaud Bouis' kind permission) and some scenarios.

As you might have noticed I've been sort of away for a long time. My apologies for any inconvenience. There should be a time window for me to do some updating. But due to lack of time on my side in the long run there probably won't be much more I can do than to just keep it running.
The place could be more than a repository, if some people would consider to help maintaining it, for example to upload new files or such. Feel free to offer your help... [8D]

TIA

Dave

P.S. I recognize some of the nick names. Glad you old farts can still play computer games! [;)]
The artist formerly known as davewolf.

Lose your password, let your email account expire and you're a complete noob again...
delatbabel

RE: WIR fan site

Post by delatbabel »

Some kind of content management system there -- I'm trying to figure out which one. Written in Java by the looks of it.

I'm happy to help out. Give me a login and password in PM or by email to del at babel dot com dot au and I'll see what I can do.
--
Del
Rasputitsa

Post by Rasputitsa »

Welcome back, I am not able so much to help, but looking for a place to lodge files. Gary Grigsby's offering before WIR was 'Western Front'. The graphics were terrible and the gameplay had so many bugs and political restrictions, particularly for the German side, that you could hardly do anything. That might have been realistic, but it killed the game. I have used the WIR GEDIT file to give WF the WIR look and corrected some of the map tile errors (not changed the geography, just polished it up). You can now see more clearly what is going on. There is a revised OBB file and an editor, which allows you to allocate more 'Political Points' to open up the gameplay. It is still the basic ver 1.0, available from Underdogs, but I think it has some life left in it. All the discussions we have had about the bugs and quirks in WIR will apply to WF and it depends how much you can live with them, buts that's how these games are.

All I have done is revise the WF map tiles and unit icon graphics, which contain much of other people's ideas from the updates to WIR. Other items have been sitting on the Web and thanks will be due to earlier contributors who tried to improve the game. Let me know what think and if there is likely to be any interest. [:)]
"In politics stupidity is not a handicap" - Napoleon

“A people which is able to say everything becomes able to do everything” - Napoleon

“Among those who dislike oppression are many who like to oppress" - Napoleon
gomezsp

Post by gomezsp »

Rasputitsa, can you send me your edited Western Front, or otherwise make it available for download?  I pull it off the shelf every few years or so and play it, and just started again about 2 weeks ago.  Your changes appear to eliminate some of the frustrating parts of the game (although I rarely take the German side).

Simon Gomez
Northern Star

Post by Northern Star »

Wonderful site! All files published are exceptional, especially the complete review of Axis and Soviets in your Possum6 scenario zip file and your complete map!
War in the East alpha tester

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xPV9JWWtOQ0
Rasputitsa

Post by Rasputitsa »

Dave, If your still out there, can you let me know if your site is available to accept some files. [&o]

“A people which is able to say everything becomes able to do everything” - Napoleon

dave_wolf

Post by dave_wolf »

Sorry for being away that long. Just PM me, if you have something nice to upload, possibly with complete description. [;)]

Lose your password, let your email account expire and you're a complete noob again...
Rasputitsa

Post by Rasputitsa »

The files are for Gary Grigsby's 'Western Front' to make the game playable. They include a graphics update to match the current WIR, an editor to change game settings (such as resetting political points, which overly restrict the German side options), a revised OOB for the D-Day scenario to correct unit availability For those who are interested, it would give a companion game to WIR, with a change of scene.

Here is the old game

Attachments
WFOriginal.jpg
WFOriginal.jpg (49.2 KiB) Viewed 144 times

Rasputitsa

Post by Rasputitsa »

Here is the new look

Attachments
wf_001.jpg
wf_001.jpg (82.07 KiB) Viewed 141 times

dave_wolf

Post by dave_wolf »

ORIGINAL: delatbabel

Some kind of content management system there -- I'm trying to figure out which one. Written in Java by the looks of it.

I'm happy to help out. Give me a login and password in PM or by email to del at babel dot com dot au and I'll see what I can do.
It's Joomla. And thanks for the offer. It's very much appreciated. Right now the situation seems to be under control. [8D] Maybe I'll need help at some other time.

Thranduil

Post by Thranduil »

I just recently reinstalled this game. I have tried the Typhoon and Case Blue scenarios, but I can't seem to push the Russians back after the first few turns. I do air interdiction strikes, artillery bombardments, followed by ground assaults. What am I missing? Also, how do you do ground assaults with aircraft?
sabre1

Post by sabre1 »

Is West Front still available for download?  If so from where?

Thanks!
Combat Command Matrix Edition Company, The Forgotten Few
Rasputitsa

Post by Rasputitsa »

I have the game file and can send it as an attachment to anyone who will send me a Personal Mail with an e-mail address, so that I can send it direct, as the file is too big to send through the forum. [:)]

Return to “War In Russia: The Matrix Edition”