stupid beginner questions

Adanac's Strategic level World War I grand campaign game designed by Frank Hunter

Moderator: SeanD

BossGnome

stupid beginner questions

Post by BossGnome »

Hi guys, I actually just went out and bought the game and well, the interface is a little rougher than what I am used to. Namely, I am not sure how I can individually select units in a hex. Let me explain:

I activate an HQ, so units around it can move. Ok. Got that part. Then, during the orders phase, I can choose to either move units "individually" or "in stack". Now, say I wanna move my units individually, how do I go select my inf units at the bottom of the stack and tell them to charge the stinky frenchman- WITHOUT the HQ (the top of the stack), feeling obliged to move somewhere first. I dont wanna move the HQ at all, just the inf "under" it. Help please!
"Hard pressed on my right; my left is in retreat. My center is yielding. Impossible to maneuver. Situation excellent. I am attacking."
-Gen. Joffre, before the battle of the Marne
BossGnome

RE: stupid beginner questions

Post by BossGnome »

other stupid question: when I have ships doing stuff in a sea zone, to bring them back requires naval assets? how about to keep them there? Also, how can I ensure that the supply level in the hexes I occupy stays good?
"Hard pressed on my right; my left is in retreat. My center is yielding. Impossible to maneuver. Situation excellent. I am attacking."
BossGnome

Post by BossGnome »

finally, do troops dig trenches on their own or do they have to be ordered? If so, how so? Oh, and does readiness come back automatically at the end of every impulse if the supply is 100%?
wargamer123

Post by wargamer123 »

HQ activation will highlight every unit either on top or adjacent to it for attacks-you can click through every stack and select the unit you want by right click left click

You have to pick individually if you do not want to move that pesky HQ unit, yes I know, it's not fun but you get used to it.

The manual doesn't tell you this but as far as I've noticed ships called out for a particular mission stay executing that mission until they engage a few times, take a little bit of damage, perform a certain duty. I.E. it seems my partially Damaged German DreadNaughts stay in the Baltic though they may have taken a hit or two from Russian Surface ships. Return, the feature allows you to bring them home free of charge...

From what I can tell, supply is best in Clearer type terrains, mountains are worse, time increases the supply value in a hex, it raises after it's liberated by your Power bit by bit, I usually don't pay too much attention as that part is pretty fast unless you're moving very fast...

Readiness raises slower, but the supply value effects it..

The game can be a bit confusing at first, don't try to take everything in at once, best to do is finish several games and see what you did wrong and put it right here or there.. Most of these questions you fall through by just making mistakes, good to get beat by the AI once or twice so you learn... Basically that taught me, 2nd AI game I won
hjaco

Post by hjaco »

You can also cancel the movement of the HQ afterwards.....

When a navel unit is given a mission type its given a certain number of endurance points based on primarily mission type, length from its base it has to travel and weather in mission area. There are 3 separate naval "impulses" each turn which do not follow the normal game turn. Each impulse eats up 1 naval endurance. When endurance reaches 0 the naval unit returns to base again. Also if too many hits are sustained in naval combat (random check ?) it must return.

Supply is based on terrain type, weather and in some cases distance from city hex. You trace supply from a friendly city. Isolated cities gives supply for a limited number of turns based on its size.

You can entrench each impulse if the unit stays in place. You need to buy entrenchments points in the strategy phase in order to do that and you can entrench up to your entrenchment level. Note that the entrenchment stays in place even if all units deserts it.

Hope that helps.
Hit them where they aren't
SMK-at-work

Post by SMK-at-work »

Readiness returns every impulse as long as supply is greater than 10%.....but at 1))% you'll get a lot more readiness back than at 11%! 

High readiness decreases in hexes with supply less than 10%, but units with 0 readiness will usually still get 1 back to allow them to at last move.
Meum est propisitum in taberna mori
Franck

Post by Franck »

To move a stack without the HQ do this:
Right click threw the HQ and give the move stack order. Only the land unit ( non HQ ) will move.
If you only want one HQ and all the stack to move select the HQ and issue move stack order. All the Corps and CAV will move with the HQ.

Artillery and HQ only move wiht the move stack order if you selected them before you gave the order
Joel Rauber

Post by Joel Rauber »

ORIGINAL: hjaco

You can entrench each impulse if the unit stays in place. You need to buy entrenchments points in the strategy phase in order to do that and you can entrench up to your entrenchment level. Note that the entrenchment stays in place even if all units deserts it.

Hope that helps.

To be a bit more explicit, you have to order your units to entrench, they do not automatically do it.
Any relationship between what I say and reality is purely coincidental.

Joel Rauber
BossGnome

Post by BossGnome »

thanks for all your responses! It's only been two days and already I think I have a better grasp of how the game mechanics work. I have, however, another question: "strategic movement" using rails. When do you use it? Is it after the combat impulses? Also, I noticed that you can move units within your own territory without having to activate them. Does this "foot movement" inside friendly borders cost units readiness points like movement into unfriendly territory does?

Also, is there anyway to try to increase readiness further for some units? Say I have some very important units which I NEED to be ready, is there a way to "prioritize" their recovery so to speak?
hjaco

Post by hjaco »

Strategic movement is conducted at the end of the combat step and is only carried out it the target hex is still friendly owned AND does not exceed stacking limit at that time. So in general debark your units a hex or two behind your front line.

Activation of units is only necessary to enter enemy controlled hexes although your cavalry units stacked with infantry units at the beginning of the impulse can take clear/desert/forest terrain without activation.

Loss of readiness is calculated based on what terrain your units is passing and control is irrelevant for calculating this. In general you lose readiness to enter Forest, Swamp, Mountain and crossing rivers. You may also use readiness due to combat, enemy barrages or low supply.

Try to have your units in hexes with 100 % supply - then you have to wait as readiness gain is somewhat randomized. Oh, and use strategic movement where possible to move them back from the front line as this causes them to "rest" and gain readiness that impulse.
wargamer123

Post by wargamer123 »

Something to add, non-HQ activated Movement is possible anywhere within your own controlled hexes, on the top of the screen when of the menu selections Highlights what is your Controlled Hex and what is enemy controlled and you can also remove the Troop Icon and replace if the Flag ownership isn't clear....

Moving without HQ support as I have noticed means that yes they move, but not with the same priority, so if you want to retreat a stack I believe, though I'm not 110% certain that a HQ support will mean they have a better chance of escaping an intercepting Enemy Unit...

This would be unimportant "if" there are not unfriendly stacks adjacent or able to block your retreat...

Movement in this game is pretty linear and you will get a hold of it... Remember you can ly your Mouse Cursor over any Hex, and it will show you up in the menu bar the Supply Value in a Percentage of each Hex that is yours

hjaco

Post by hjaco »

ORIGINAL: wargamer123

Moving without HQ support as I have noticed means that yes they move, but not with the same priority, so if you want to retreat a stack I believe, though I'm not 110% certain that a HQ support will mean they have a better chance of escaping an intercepting Enemy Unit...

Indeed activation increases each units initiative which for each unit is calculated based upon:

1) if being activated by an HQ add a D6 (random # from 1 to 6) per the offensive value of the HQ.

If not activated the value is 1 + d4.

2) add the corps readiness . If the unit is cavalry, add 10.

3) if the corps is on the front line it adds a random # from 1 to whatever the corps Readiness is.

4) if the corps is moving from a friendly hex to a friendly hex add a random(Readiness) again.

5) modify for terrain : Forest or Marsh means reduce by 20%. Rough means reduce by 33%. Mountains by 50%

But basically this means that if you are trying to get away from a hex you know is going to be attacked then you can forget about it unless the defender comes from difficult terrain.
wargamer123

Post by wargamer123 »

Here goes another question, Strategic Movement out of a Warzone... How do the mathematical rules apply to this? I have sometimes succeeded and other times failed, random I figure if that particular hex is being assualted?
hjaco

Post by hjaco »

Strategic movement comes after combat. So I am pretty sure your move is being canceled if that particular hex is being attacked.
BossGnome

Post by BossGnome »

THanks for all your answers guys, I'm currently fighting the AI on my terms and winning... at least most of the time. I have, however, another question: sometimes the game will tell me a hex is invalid for movement for reasons I don't understand. Currently, as CP, I am invading serbia with Austria. I have a lone cavalry unit on the hex directly south of belgrade. General Dankl, one hex away NorthWest, has been activated. Now, I know that cav can't enter city hexes, so I thought I would just press the advance into uncontested territory. However, for some reason, the open terrain southwest of my cavalry's position is "invalid hex" for movement. Why? Do I need infantry support for some reason?
Lascar

Post by Lascar »

ORIGINAL: BossGnome

THanks for all your answers guys, I'm currently fighting the AI on my terms and winning... at least most of the time. I have, however, another question: sometimes the game will tell me a hex is invalid for movement for reasons I don't understand. Currently, as CP, I am invading serbia with Austria. I have a lone cavalry unit on the hex directly south of belgrade. General Dankl, one hex away NorthWest, has been activated. Now, I know that cav can't enter city hexes, so I thought I would just press the advance into uncontested territory. However, for some reason, the open terrain southwest of my cavalry's position is "invalid hex" for movement. Why? Do I need infantry support for some reason?
A cavalry unit needs to be stacked with an infantry unit to be able to advance into an enemy controlled hex.
BossGnome

Post by BossGnome »

Also, I wonder what advantage, if any, almost encircling your enemy gives you. Because of the stacking rules, near encirclement doesn't allow for more units to participate in an attack, so I was wondering if the game compensated for that by giving some sort of bonus to the attacker. 
wargamer123

Post by wargamer123 »

Gnome

encircling which happens a little too often in GOA, is one of the best weapons in your arsenal. Very very reminiscent of Barbarossa '41

Where ever and whenever encircle, cities and port cities along forts can retain their supply awhile in those pockets but soon they starve and you can easily devour a encircled unit or group of units  BUT beware they do not hit rock bottom supply instantly
BossGnome

Post by BossGnome »

Ok, encircling I get; but I would think in near total encirclement (IE 5/6 sides of a hex are enemy occupied), when a unit is being hit by the enemy, it should have significant penalties to its defences, since it is being attacked from 5 different directions at the same time. Also, how does the "cavalry screen" tactic work? I understand the concept of putting cavalry to make the enemy think there are significant forces there and shell them, but should the enemy decide to attack, wont that just result in the total slaughter of your cavalry?
wargamer123

Post by wargamer123 »

Yes, I would think you would be right also Gnome, but the game is abstract. The Penalty that is in place is fairly deadly, if the unit cannot break out, it will eventually starve to very low readiness, meaning that not much of it's forces will fight you. There isn't an actual punishment in GOA for directional Confrontation, i.e. Western Facing Trenches supply the same defense if attacking from the East. Which is this historical, I dont' think so, but regardless, maybe the Designers will rethink this in the future.

If the unit cannot retreat, and is encircled it will must assuredly die altogether, that has a a chance of hurting a nations morale and thus forcing all of it's forces to weaken.

Cav in this game is sort of a top on a bottle. It keeps the front working I think it's 110% needed. Cav is the only unit that can attack without HQ support open terrains. It's the only unit that rarely takes damage in combat, and that is because fast horse can evade damage better. They do not do anything for you side accept block an enemy from taking a free hex really in defense, and they never win vs an a Real Infantry Corps. They will usually get destroyed if they enter too much conflict
ORIGINAL: BossGnome

Ok, encircling I get; but I would think in near total encirclement (IE 5/6 sides of a hex are enemy occupied), when a unit is being hit by the enemy, it should have significant penalties to its defences, since it is being attacked from 5 different directions at the same time. Also, how does the "cavalry screen" tactic work? I understand the concept of putting cavalry to make the enemy think there are significant forces there and shell them, but should the enemy decide to attack, wont that just result in the total slaughter of your cavalry?

Return to “Guns of August 1914 - 1918”