The Coming Fury Confederate AAR

Post descriptions of your brilliant successes and unfortunate demises.

Moderator: Gil R.

JadeKing

The Coming Fury Confederate AAR

Post by JadeKing »

(My option settings are shown in post 5. Sorry!)

Here is the first turn of my new Confederate AAR. I hope people reading it, will give some comments on what they would have done differently, or how it went in their own game. It is fairly image heavy, but I can reduce this if it is too much?

East theatre at start:

Attachments
starteast.jpg
starteast.jpg (188.79 KiB) Viewed 224 times
Thank goodness we don't understand the language of ravens, jackdaws, crickets, frogs, and pigs. Otherwise we'd probably worry about what they think too. Yet how many people seem more brainless than the frogs and jackdaws? Does that make any difference to
JadeKing

RE: The Coming Fury Confederate AAR

Post by JadeKing »

West theatre at start:

Attachments
startwest.jpg
startwest.jpg (179.7 KiB) Viewed 223 times
Thank goodness we don't understand the language of ravens, jackdaws, crickets, frogs, and pigs. Otherwise we'd probably worry about what they think too. Yet how many people seem more brainless than the frogs and jackdaws? Does that make any difference to
jkBluesman

Post by jkBluesman »

People love AAR's, so rest assured that you will have readers. I am looking forward to it. Can you tell us something about the difficulty level, rule options you chose etc.?
"War is the field of chance."
Carl von Clausewitz
JadeKing

Post by JadeKing »

Late July. 1861

Military orders: East

I don’t want to engage the unions Potomac army at this time. They have the numerical advantage, and my army is not very organized (No corps or divisions leader, and there aren’t room for all my brigades in my single division).
So I order it to Petersburg with the “avoid battle” special order, along with my Johnston corps and the three divisions I have in the region (Magruder, Lorring and Huger).

It is my hope that the union army will advance on Richmond, where I have two level 3 forts protecting the city. They can severely weaken my opponent’s army, if properly manned and armed. So I station 6 garrison troops in both forts, and will also buy some better weapons for my Richmond Defences, if the union plans to advance here. With my army located in Petersburg, I can attack them after they have been sufficiently weakened by my fort guns

Attachments
east.jpg
east.jpg (170.48 KiB) Viewed 223 times
JadeKing

Post by JadeKing »

Military orders: West

I redeploy Polk’s army to Hatchie along with my Army of the West. Price is also ordered east, while Twiggs in New Orleans is sent by rail north to join Polk. Bragg and Van Dorn are also ordered towards the front. (All groups set on “Avoid battle”).

I want to reorganize my forces in Hatchie, and keep a close eye on union movement. They can both try to take Memphis and Nashville, so having my army in Hatchie, will allow me to quickly aid any of these cities. I also order two brigades in Polk’s army to garrison duties in Island No.10. New guns and attributes will also be bought, in case of union aggression, while Hardee is made the fort commander. (He has an excellent tactic rating, which increases the chance of a critical hit on the besieger).

Many garrison troops in both the east and west are sent to the front. They can always be used in battle to surround and flank the enemy, but are also good to use in sieges. (No need to sacrifice veterans for this job[;)]).

Attachments
west.jpg
west.jpg (186.65 KiB) Viewed 223 times
JadeKing

Post by JadeKing »

I new I had forgot something, so here is the options I play with.

Fewer generals: It cuts down the micromanagement a little, and It also makes your generals a little more special. It will be a great feeling to capture an enemy general, while loosing one yourself would really hurt.

No CSA Emancipation: Were this ever an option for the south historicaly? It just feels too unrealistic to me, so I wont use it.

Near start: Make the game less time consuming, which is one of its only faults[:)]

Attachments
options.jpg
options.jpg (184.81 KiB) Viewed 223 times
JadeKing

Post by JadeKing »

Strategic orders

Supply:

Most of my forces are set to low or zero supply, to save some of my valuable money. But the Potomac army is set to normal, as it contains two brigades with Enfield rifles (+2 supply upkeep). It also has a 12 Pd howitzer with a supply cost of 4. I simply can’t afford to have this in my army at the moment, so I am relocating it to Richmond, where it will serve in one of my forts. (This will give a great boost to my fort defences, but I would still prefer to have it in my army).

Polk’s army is also set to normal, as it uses both Enfield and Lorenz rifles.

Infrastructure/Recruitment/Arms

24-pd coehorn mortar and rifle pits for Island No. 10.
Laboratory in Milledgeville
Mine in Augusta.

Runners:

1st runner: Georgian Atlantic, 20 Labour (70S, 20D)
2nd runner: New York Atlantic, 40 Labour (60S, 20D)

My priority is Iron, Money, Labour, Weapons and Horses.

City List:

With my runners trying to get some good slave labour into the country, I will favour money and iron production in my cities.

At first I had mustered in nearly all cities with governors who supported this. But the increased upkeep cost for having these troops in my forces chanced my mind. I simply can’t afford a larger army at the moment. Mustering would also hurt the production in my cities, and lower the success chance of impressments, giving me great financial concerns. So there will be no fresh troops for my forces at this time, except for the garrison units[:(]

Diplomacy:

Since the USA has zero support to start with, their chance of improving relations is doubled. This will also make it harder for me to gain support (or easier losing it), making me think it is best to do no business here at the moment. I will instead wait till some of my governors support foreign diplomacy, which will give me a god boost.

Attachments
citylist.jpg
citylist.jpg (163.87 KiB) Viewed 223 times
JadeKing

Post by JadeKing »

I did not avoid the North’s Potomac army, so the first larger engagement of the war is a reality.

Battle of Fredericksburg

Longstreet must have teached his digging technique very well, as many of my brigades got this ability. (Just for those who dont know it, generals can teach some of their special abilities to a brigade just before a battle).
So I positioned myself on a large hill and digged entrenchments all around it, making it very hard for the union to run me over. I also split most of my brigades counting 3000 strenght or more. They usually cant take advantage of their numbers due to frontage, so it is better to have an extra brigade to flank or surround the enemy with.
My artillery were placed at the foot of the hill, as they recieve a penalty to damage if on heights (Is this really true? I have always thought they were more effective on hills?). I make sure to have some infantry next to it, so they cant be charged.
The woods at the foot of the hills will also be to my advantage, as it will slow their movement, and make their fire attacks less lethal.

Attachments
battle.jpg
battle.jpg (197.95 KiB) Viewed 223 times
JadeKing

Post by JadeKing »

The first shots fired were a devastating salvo from my Jefferson Davies battery. It killed more than 400 men and caused an immediate rout I generally caused a lot of casualties on the brigades who got any where near my entrenchments.

Attachments
battle1.jpg
battle1.jpg (183.04 KiB) Viewed 223 times
JadeKing

Post by JadeKing »

They really got no chance at this moment. They still got a few unbroken troops left, but they can’t save the battle. I am trying to surround them now, and get their soldiers to surrender to me. And it is quite successful, as you can see on the report later.

Attachments
battle2.jpg
battle2.jpg (188.8 KiB) Viewed 224 times
JadeKing

Post by JadeKing »

Battle won!!!

Attachments
battle3.jpg
battle3.jpg (188.76 KiB) Viewed 225 times
JadeKing

Post by JadeKing »

Comments to report

I was actually very shocked at the high loses to disease I suffered. I might have to build more hospitals if these epidemics continue, as I am not pulling in enough reinforcements to cover them.

Attachments
report.jpg
report.jpg (106.22 KiB) Viewed 225 times
JadeKing

Post by JadeKing »

Continued...

Attachments
report1.jpg
report1.jpg (84.06 KiB) Viewed 225 times
JadeKing

Post by JadeKing »

Another shock was the high loss in support from my Virginian governor, for not appointing one of his friends to the staff of the Missouri State Guard. I think I lost some 70 points of support. If I knew he would get this mad, I would have followed his wish.

It also seems my foreign minister didn’t listen to what I said. He has invested 32 money in diplomacy with Europe without my knowing. I am very sure I didn’t order this, so I am quite surprised how this came to be[&:]. But it did save me from losing support from “Other European States”, so I will forgive my minister this time.

But all in all it was a good turn I think. I won the battle, my impressments were successful, I didn’t loose any support from Europe and I also got Robert E. Lee!! So I will rename my potomac army to "The Army Of Northern Virginia", and begin planning my next move.

Attachments
report2.jpg
report2.jpg (99.02 KiB) Viewed 225 times
JadeKing

Post by JadeKing »

Does anyone know where I can find the battle report, which used to show up after a battle? The one where you can see how many casualties each brigade inflected and suffered, and the influence of generals in battle?
I can see the casualties on the unit history menu, but I presume this will show the total casualties caused and taken, when I get into more battles?

Attachments
unithistory.jpg
unithistory.jpg (78.05 KiB) Viewed 225 times
JadeKing

Post by JadeKing »

I also can’t make any sense out of the supply report. Is it supposed to look like it does, as shown below?

Attachments
supplyreport.jpg
supplyreport.jpg (47.46 KiB) Viewed 225 times
JadeKing

Post by JadeKing »

At least I can see which brigades have received replacements:

Attachments
supplyreport2.jpg
supplyreport2.jpg (24.55 KiB) Viewed 225 times
JadeKing

Post by JadeKing »

Battle report: (Not the one requested)

Attachments
br.jpg
br.jpg (57.39 KiB) Viewed 225 times
sadja

Post by sadja »

JadeKing

Go to production first then go back to supply. Sometimes the columns get messed up but then straighten out when you go back to supply.

The battle report is not retained except under military like your last post. Also there are reports for each individual units where you can see each result and can see how the unit has supply is used, losses for movment, battle, experiance gained ect.

Artillery is your friend and causes geat damage and can sometimes in the early game can break a unit with one shot. Just put the unit in a good container and with other units that do not have high supply demand, because the supply is spead out over all the units in the container.

You need to hav at least one med unit in each division container to lesson the impact of disease for the whole division.

Hospitals also increase disposion.
Your never Lost if you don't care where you are.

Tom Massie GPAA
JadeKing

Post by JadeKing »

Early August 1861

Eastern theatre:

Attachments
starteast.jpg
starteast.jpg (180.78 KiB) Viewed 225 times

Return to “After Action Reports”