Matrix Games Announces Three New Game Editions

Gamers can find out here about the latest happenings from Matrix and its partners.

Moderator: MOD_PressReleases

Alex Fiedler

Matrix Games Announces Three New Game Editions

Post by Alex Fiedler »

New Parameters for Titles with Printed or PDF Manuals

Matrix Games, a world leader in computer strategy games, is pleased to announce a new line of Game Editions, starting with the Digital Express Edition. This new product classification system aims to clarify the contents of each game package to make it easier for customers to know what to expect when they purchase a physical copy of a Matrix Games product. With the roll-out of printed manuals in 2007 for new releases and some old releases,customer feedback asked for more information on which titles now have printed manuals and which do not. The new Digital Express Edition is an effort to make it easier for customers to inform themselves regarding what each game box contains.

A Digital Express Edition is a game which comes with an electronic PDF manual only and no printed manual option. The boxed versions of a Digital Express Edition will consist of a shrink-wrapped color double DVD box and a color printed CD (or CDs) to install the game. This new designation will start with some of the new releases in 2008 and be gradually applied to the existing catalog over the course of the year. The first Digital Express Edition will be released later this week.

A Standard Edition is a game which comes with both a printed black and white manual and an electronic PDF manual. The boxed version of a Standard Edition includes a shrink-wrapped color double DVD box, a black and white printed manual, and a color printed CD (or CDs) to install the game. This designation will be rolled out later in the year to new releases and the existing catalog.

A Collector’s Edition is the same as a Standard Edition with the exception that the printed manual is in color rather than black and white. This designation is rare and will be rolled out later in the year for new releases and one or two titles in the existing catalog.

Three different logos in color-coded bands across the top of the game box will make the edition of each game clear in the online store and on the physical copy of the product. Also, please remember these contents are only for the physical version of the game and will not affect the digital download, which remains as it has always been: a single downloadable installer file with a full color PDF manual.

Erik Rutins, Director of Product Development at Matrix Games, said “We’ve heard from a lot of customers who love our new printed manuals but wanted us to make it easier to understand what comes in each game package. We think these changes will go a long way to making it easy for customers to know exactly what to expect when they order a particular game from us.”

In addition to these changes, new Matrix Games products will now list in their Game Data section Display Resolution support for each game, the type of manual included with the physical product (Printed and/or PDF), and the number of pages in each manual. These additional fields will show up in the online store, games pages and on the game box itself to help customers make educated decisions.
Tordenskiold

RE: Matrix Games Announces Three New Game Editions

Post by Tordenskiold »

Hi just wondering, is it possible for us outside the US to order printed manuals along with an electronic version and also order this for games already downloaded?    
HansK

Post by HansK »

I have War in the Pacific on backorder, will this include a printed manual ?   Thanks,   Hans   PS Off topic question: I've applied for the Newsletter but didn't get any reply at all. Did the same thing about a year ago and didn't see anything either.
Erik Rutins

Post by Erik Rutins »

ORIGINAL: Tordenskiold Hi just wondering, is it possible for us outside the US to order printed manuals along with an electronic version and also order this for games already downloaded?
Sorry, not at this time. I'll see if we can do anything like that for the future. We were planning "manual upgrade" options, but with the new printer and system that may not be possible any longer. I'll see what I can do.
Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.
Erik Rutins

Post by Erik Rutins »

Hi Hans,
ORIGINAL: HansK I have War in the Pacific on backorder, will this include a printed manual ?
War in the Pacific has never had a printed manual, so it will not include one. WITP was a 2004 release before we started printing manuals for any releases. The box and CD are full color and the manual is a PDF E-Book.

For the upcoming War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition we are planning to include a fully updated, full color printed manual (that will be a "Collector's Edition").
Off topic question: I've applied for the Newsletter but didn't get any reply at all. Did the same thing about a year ago and didn't see anything either.
Try sending an e-mail to seand@matrixgames.com, he should be able to find out if you're on the list or not.
Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.
Erik Rutins

Post by Erik Rutins »

Thought I should also post this here:

Let me try to make this more clear. Editions define what a game is, they are not multiple options within a game, they are the definition of the game and each game only has one edition.

Let's say that next month we release games X, Y and Z.

Game X is released as a Digital Express Edition. That means that it will have the usual download and physical versions. However, the physical version will come with the box, CD and that's it. The manual will be on CD as a PDF E-Book. This is how Game X is packaged and there is no option to get a printed manual for Game X. There is no Standard or Collector's Edition of Game X.

Game Y is released as a Standard Edition. In addition to the usual download version, it will have a physical version that includes a black and white printed manual, box and CD. The manual will also be available as the usual PDF E-Book. This is how Game Y is packaged and there is no physical option to get it without a printed manual (other than the download) or a color manual (all printed manuals for Game Y will be black and white). There is no Digital Express or Collector's Edition of Game Y.

Game Z is released as a Collector's Edition. In addition to the usual download version, it will have a physical version that includes a color printed manual, box and CD. The manual will also be available as the usual PDF E-Book. This is how Game Z is packaged and there is no physical option to get it without a printed manual (other than the download) or a black and whilte manual (all printed manuals for Game Z will be color). There is no Digital Express or Standard Edition of Game Z.

All of the above games will stay at the same physical price that products just like them are now in our catalog, in other words US $10 more than the download price.

Regards,

- Erik
Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

Freedom is not Free.
HansBolter

Post by HansBolter »

ORIGINAL: Erik Rutins

Thought I should also post this here:

Let me try to make this more clear. Editions define what a game is, they are not multiple options within a game, they are the definition of the game and each game only has one edition.

Let's say that next month we release games X, Y and Z.

Game X is released as a Digital Express Edition. That means that it will have the usual download and physical versions. However, the physical version will come with the box, CD and that's it. The manual will be on CD as a PDF E-Book. This is how Game X is packaged and there is no option to get a printed manual for Game X. There is no Standard or Collector's Edition of Game X.

Game Y is released as a Standard Edition. In addition to the usual download version, it will have a physical version that includes a black and white printed manual, box and CD. The manual will also be available as the usual PDF E-Book. This is how Game Y is packaged and there is no physical option to get it without a printed manual (other than the download) or a color manual (all printed manuals for Game Y will be black and white). There is no Digital Express or Collector's Edition of Game Y.

Game Z is released as a Collector's Edition. In addition to the usual download version, it will have a physical version that includes a color printed manual, box and CD. The manual will also be available as the usual PDF E-Book. This is how Game Z is packaged and there is no physical option to get it without a printed manual (other than the download) or a black and whilte manual (all printed manuals for Game Z will be color). There is no Digital Express or Standard Edition of Game Z.

All of the above games will stay at the same physical price that products just like them are now in our catalog, in other words US $10 more than the download price.

Regards,

- Erik
Personally, I feel that is a big mistake Erik.

Who decides which game gets preferential treatment and which game gets discriminated against?

You will end up with entire segemenst of your customer base pissed off because "their" game/series/genre got the shaft by "only" being released as a Digital version while some one else's favorite game/series/genre got the "Special" treatment.

When you create a "caste" system for the games you translate it by association to it's players!
Hans

HansK

Post by HansK »

Thanks for this quick reply Erik.   Seeing that the Admiral's Edition, a 'sure buy' anyway, will include a full color printed manual is good news. I don't like the printing of manuals that much.   Will sent an e-mail to the mentioned address when I get home, just before starting up UV again.   Hans  
bkornele

Post by bkornele »

Is there still going to be just the download edition?
Erik Rutins

Post by Erik Rutins »

ORIGINAL: HansBolter Personally, I feel that is a big mistake Erik. Who decides which game gets preferential treatment and which game gets discriminated against? You will end up with entire segemenst of your customer base pissed off because "their" game/series/genre got the shaft by "only" being released as a Digital version while some one else's favorite game/series/genre got the "Special" treatment. When you create a "caste" system for the games you translate it by association to it's players!
I think this is really the wrong way to look at it. Look at our existing catalog - War in the Pacific, Battles in Normandy, Highway to the Reich... none of those have a printed manual. Does this mean they are "low caste"?

To give you an example, we are generally going to be using the "digital express edition" for lower cost games that are often updated re-releases. Our new release wargames will always be "standard edition" and a rare few will be "collector's edition". I don't think this is going to piss anyone off and I wish folks would realize that this basically codifies and clarifies a situation that already exists in our current catalog.

Regards,

- Erik
Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

Freedom is not Free.
Erik Rutins

Post by Erik Rutins »

ORIGINAL: bkornele Is there still going to be just the download edition?
Yes, all games will be available by digital download, as always. The "edition" is only there to tell you what will be in the physical version.
Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

Freedom is not Free.
HansBolter

Post by HansBolter »

ORIGINAL: Erik Rutins
ORIGINAL: HansBolter Personally, I feel that is a big mistake Erik. Who decides which game gets preferential treatment and which game gets discriminated against? You will end up with entire segemenst of your customer base pissed off because "their" game/series/genre got the shaft by "only" being released as a Digital version while some one else's favorite game/series/genre got the "Special" treatment. When you create a "caste" system for the games you translate it by association to it's players!
I think this is really the wrong way to look at it. Look at our existing catalog - War in the Pacific, Battles in Normandy, Highway to the Reich... none of those have a printed manual. Does this mean they are "low caste"?

To give you an example, we are generally going to be using the "digital express edition" for lower cost games that are often updated re-releases. Our new release wargames will always be "standard edition" and a rare few will be "collector's edition". I don't think this is going to piss anyone off and I wish folks would realize that this basically codifies and clarifies a situation that already exists in our current catalog.

Regards,

- Erik
Hate me if you want for it Erik, but I think you're the one looking at it the wrong way and seeing what you want to see and not the reality of what is there. The examples you gave came about as a progression over time and not as an implemented policy all at one time, which does make a big difference.

Take the Panther games for example. The engine has evolved and each new game in the series has new and improved features. We, the customers, don't see HTTR as a "lower caste" game than COTA as a result of that progression. However, if they had been released at the same time with one having the lesser features and one having the greater features, than our perception would indeed be that one is the "lower caste" and one is the "higher caste". That's about the best explanation I can give for why I see it the way I do. I hope you can see my point.

Merrill
Hans

Erik Rutins

Post by Erik Rutins »

ORIGINAL: HansBolter Hate me if you want for it Erik, but I think you're the one looking at it the wrong way and seeing what you want to see and not the reality of what is there. The examples you gave came about as a progression over time and not as an implemented policy all at one time, which does make a big difference.
Er, why would I hate you for it? The point is thought that we had already reached a situation where our catalog contained a mix of games and no clear information to the customer as to what was what. That was the first reason why we needed these different editions to show clearly what's in each package.
Take the Panther games for example. The engine has evolved and each new game in the series has new and improved features. We, the customers, don't see HTTR as a "lower caste" game than COTA as a result of that progression. However, if they had been released at the same time with one having the lesser features and one having the greater features, than our perception would indeed be that one is the "lower caste" and one is the "higher caste". That's about the best explanation I can give for why I see it the way I do. I hope you can see my point.
Well, for what it's worth, but HTTR and COTA would be released today with printed manuals if they were new releases. New releases, in other words "first run" games, will always have printed manual (or "Standard Edition") versions going forward. I think you may be misunderstanding the way in which we'll be using these editions, but I hope it will become more clear going forward and I'm still pretty confident that the scenario you're worried about won't come to pass.

The simple truth is that we'd love to continue doing color printed manuals for ALL releases, but without our previous printer arrangement, it's no longer possible to make that affordable for every release. I hope the fact that we will still be doing printed manuals does count for something and we've put every effort into making sure these are still quite nice manuals, even if they are not in color. Try one, you'll like it. [8D]

Regards,

- Erik
Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

Freedom is not Free.
Temple

Post by Temple »

ORIGINAL: HansBolter

Personally, I feel that is a big mistake Erik.

Who decides which game gets preferential treatment and which game gets discriminated against?

You will end up with entire segemenst of your customer base pissed off because "their" game/series/genre got the shaft by "only" being released as a Digital version while some one else's favorite game/series/genre got the "Special" treatment.

When you create a "caste" system for the games you translate it by association to it's players!
As a long time Matrix game buyer, I would have to disagree here. I don't see the decision of whether to have a printed B&W or color manual reflects some sort of prejudice against a game/series/genre. It's all about business decisions. Sure, sometimes we might disappointed that a printed manual option won't be provided for a certain product, but in the end it's all about the game itself, not the media of the manual. Although a few years ago I would have never felt this way, I now prefer having the option to purchase a download only version for less money. And remember, there are now some game publishers that *only* give the option of an electronic manual.

I think sometimes people also overlook a positive side of this decision. COTA has hundreds of pages of manuals and tutorials. If the developers had to live within the confines of a publishers edict that there had to be a printed manual of no greater than a certain page count, we would have lost some of the excellent documentation.

I think the new system is a good response to the uncertainty that has arisen in the past over whether a game would have a printed manual and where that fact would be mentioned on a web page.
sysrkm

Post by sysrkm »

Hi Alex,

I think this is a great idea. I do not own a lot of games in your stable yet, but I will be buying more. I'm old school: I'm QUITE disappointed when I open a game box and there is NO manual.

I do have a question. At one time wasn't there an option to get a manual printed at Kinko's? I've gone there a couple times in the past few years, trying to get them to print me a manual on good stock and have it spiral bound, but they won't, claiming it's against the law to them to 'quality' print a copywrited document. They DO say that if I want to use on of their pc's and send the document to one of their lesser quality, office type printers, they will 'look the other way.'

Was there once a Kinko's print option?

Regards,

Rob
FlipTrac_511

Post by FlipTrac_511 »

Although I prefer printed manuals and they add great value to a game, I've made do without them. It's sad that the days of full, glorious manuals are over, but that's just the reality of the market. Now we have to pay extra for them.
ORIGINAL: HansBolter You will end up with entire segemenst of your customer base pissed off because "their" game/series/genre got the shaft by "only" being released as a Digital version while some one else's favorite game/series/genre got the "Special" treatment. When you create a "caste" system for the games you translate it by association to it's players!
I won't be pissed at all. I'm grateful that Matrix is even making an effort to provide printed manuals.

Return to “Press Releases, News and Events from Matrix”