McClelland Again

AGEOD’S American Civil War - The Blue and the Gray is a historical operational strategy game with a simultaneous turn-based engine (WEGO system) that places players at the head of the USA or CSA during the American Civil War (1861-1865).

Moderator: Pocus

BK6583

McClelland Again

Post by BK6583 »

I haven't scoured this forum thorughly but since I'm new to the game, what do I do about McClelland? Give him the first Army HQ available and then dump him? Or am I stuck with him for at least the approximate historical period, e.g., mid-'62, before I can get rid of him?
Ichirou989

RE: McClelland Again

Post by Ichirou989 »

Yep, I'm afraid you are indeed stuck with him until late in '62 when there is an event that can demote him.  Most people seem to use the strategy of placing him in command of somewhere out west and leaving the eastern army under McDowell who has better stats. 

This does have the somewhat negative effect for some anyway, of flying in the face of historical reality.  McClellan was basically the only man available at that time with the organization skill AND popularity to create the Army of the Potomac, despite the fact that he seemed incapable of leading it in battle.  There is a mod out there that addresses this issue by lowering the rank of all other leaders save Halleck, Scott, and McClellan to 2 star level which pretty much forces the Union player to bring McClellan out East if he wants to form up an army command in Virginia.  You can get it over on the AGEOD forums in the ACW mod forum, but beware that this same mod also changes several other generals, including a rather controversial change to Joe Johnston.
A real leader faces the music, even when he doesn't like the tune.

Return to “American Civil War – The Blue and the Gray”