Depots in harbors

Empires in Arms is the computer version of Australian Design Group classic board game. Empires in Arms is a seven player game of grand strategy set during the Napoleonic period of 1805-1815. The unit scale is corps level with full diplomatic options

Moderator: MOD_EIA

bresh

Depots in harbors

Post by bresh »

Anyone ever figured out how to move depot in area into unblockaed harbor if enemies come by ?
Or how do you place it in the harbor from start ?

Regards
Bresh
Marshall Ellis

RE: Depots in harbors

Post by Marshall Ellis »

The only time you can place it in the city is when the city is besieged and the port is not blockaded so you cannot really move it to the city. You would have to let the rural depot be destryed (or remove it yourself) then place a new depot in the port city (When besieged).
Does this help?

Thank you

Marshall Ellis
Outflank Strategy War Games

bresh

Post by bresh »

ORIGINAL: Marshall Ellis

The only time you can place it in the city is when the city is besieged and the port is not blockaded so you cannot really move it to the city. You would have to let the rural depot be destryed (or remove it yourself) then place a new depot in the port city (When besieged).
Does this help?

Do i need to point somewhere special in the area ??

I tried it as GB, having control of Portugal, Spain not blockading the port. Having a depot in London. Yet when i try place a depot in Lisabon hex it says no supply chain :(

Im wondering what im doing wrong ?

Regards
Bresh
dude

Post by dude »

Keep in mind the besieged depot does have to trace sea supply so you must have another depot with a fleet in another port somewhere to trace to (and it must exist before the current turn.)  When I'm GB I almost always leave a depot and a 1ship fleet in London just for this purpose.

Dude
“Ifs defeated the Confederates…” U.S.Grant
bresh

Post by bresh »

ORIGINAL: dude

Keep in mind the besieged depot does have to trace sea supply so you must have another depot with a fleet in another port somewhere to trace to (and it must exist before the current turn.)  When I'm GB I almost always leave a depot and a 1ship fleet in London just for this purpose.

Dude

As i wrote there is depot in London. I dont know where you find the documentation there needs to be a fleet to(there is), but noting i read in docs says fleets need to be there to.

Regards
Bresh
dude

Post by dude »

I have (at home but not here with me now) the rules to the board game version too (i've noticed a few things missing in the PDF that are better spelled out in the orig rules)... and I'm pretty certain there's mention that the depot in the port needs a fleet there too... but then again that might just be for reinforcements... I'll check when I get home later.  I just recall having a problem tracing supply in one of my first games across sea until I put a fleet in the port with a depot (and it may have been for reinforcements...).  But like I said I'll check.

Dude

AresMars

Post by AresMars »

Dude,

This can help you when you need to check the Orginal EiA rules;

http://www.boardgaming.info/EIA-archive/

zaquex

Post by zaquex »

btw I have never tested this but is the convert depot rule in effect in EiANW?

7.3.6.1 UNGARRISONED DEPOT AREA: If during movement a corps, cossack, freikorps or guerilla moves into an area containing an ungarrisoned enemy depot, it may elect to destroy the depot. If it does destroy the depot and ends its movement in that area, then having destroyed the depot counts as having successfully foraged for supply (with no loss) for that one corps counter. An alternative to destroying a depot is to convert (remove the enemy depot and replace it with one of the entering power's depots-there is no money cost for this conversion) it to a friendly depot if that would make it a supply source or an extension of a friendly valid supply chain (see 7.2.3).

7.3.6.2 GARRISONED DEPOT AREA: If an enemy depot is garrisoned, the player controlling the garrison factors has the option of immediately destroying the depot before the moving force chooses whether to leave the area (if permissible) or to stay and fight. If the garrison does not elect to destroy the depot and the phasing force chooses to stop its movement and fight, the depot may be captured after land combat (see 7.3.6.1) and destroyed or converted (but not used for supply this major power's sequence-also see 7.5.2.14). If the garrison destroys the depot, the garrison surrenders or all or part (if city cannot hold all-the part not moved to the city will surrender) can be moved to an unbesieged friendly controlled or vacant city in that same area, at the owning player's option.

An Elephant
dude

Post by dude »

AresMars,

Cool, thanks... didn't think to look online... doh![X(]

According to 7.4.3 Sea Supply.... (AH board game version)

7.4.3.1 Tracing Sea Supply: In order trace supply accros sea areas there must be one of t major power's depots in each of the two freindly controlled ports or port areas between which supply it to be traced. At least one of these morst MUST CONTAIN A FLEET(S) of the major power and/or an ally and that port must be a supply sorce or be able to trace a valid supply chain via deports to a supply sorce. Neither port may be blockaded. If these conditionsare fulfilled, the ports are valid links in a supply chain. The effect of this is as if the depots were in adjacent areas (regardless of the number os sea areas actually between them) for all purposes including placement of reinforcements.

So assuming the game was implimented as written in the rules then you do need a fleet in one of the ports with a depot...

So if you put a depot in a besiged port, and another in London... you still need a fleet in one of them to allow for sea supply between them. Hope this helps.

Dude
zaquex

Post by zaquex »

I think you even need a fleet with the original depot 4 it to work "...and that port must be a supply sorce or..." and as Trin pointed out in another thread to let the new depot fill its own prerequisits would be a case of circular logic.
An Elephant
bresh

Post by bresh »

ORIGINAL: zaquex

I think you even need a fleet with the original depot 4 it to work "...and that port must be a supply sorce or..." and as Trin pointed out in another thread to let the new depot fill its own prerequisits would be a case of circular logic.

So I still wonder why, i couldnt place a depot in besieged Lisabon (which aint blockaded)
When i have fleets in London+Depot.(which aint blockaded)

What am i missing ?

Regards
Bresh

Bearcat2

Post by Bearcat2 »

ORIGINAL: bresh

So I still wonder why, i couldnt place a depot in besieged Lisabon (which aint blockaded)
When i have fleets in London+Depot.(which aint blockaded)

What am i missing ?

Regards
Bresh

Are you at war with the besieging power? if not; then that might be the problem.
"After eight years as President I have only two regrets: that I have not shot Henry Clay or hanged John C. Calhoun."--1837
Naomi

Post by Naomi »

I have the same problem - inability to place any depot in a besieged Lisbon while at war with Spain. All I could do is using invasion supply for the troops encircled in the city. By the way, would I get a chance to choose to retreat a corps into a city (with enough space for the factors) when confronted by the enemy? I remember I was never offered any such choice.
bresh

Post by bresh »

ORIGINAL: Naomi

I have the same problem - inability to place any depot in a besieged Lisbon while at war with Spain. All I could do is using invasion supply for the troops encircled in the city. By the way, would I get a chance to choose to retreat a corps into a city (with enough space for the factors) when confronted by the enemy? I remember I was never offered any such choice.

Dont think retreat into city is part of this version of EIA.

ORIGINAL: Termite2
Are you at war with the besieging power? if not; then that might be the problem.

No, I am not at war with spain, just testing stuff. Maybe i should try test if at war helps.

Regards
Bresh
zaquex

Post by zaquex »

I would asume that if ur not at war with spain, ur not besieged and therefore you cant place a depot in the city and if he (spain) has a depot in the area you cant place a one cause of the max one depot/area rule.

Also if the game is implemented correctly, spain besieges Lisbon as you are not at war with him your troops immidiatly have to surrender.
An Elephant
dude

Post by dude »

Well I just tested it and I can't find a way to create a depot in a besieged port of Lisbon either.  (I haven't tried it elsewhere yet...)

Spanish force is outside Lisbon, Portugal corps inside city... GB is supporting Portugal and is at war with Spain... fleets in London with depot... clicking on create depot at Lisbon gives you the message "Unit Cannot Move or Be Placed Here!".  Invasion supply works just fine... I have a GB fleet off the coast and I can build a depot and supply the forces in Lisbon that way. 

So either it's a bug, not implimented, or we just don't understand how to add the depot properly to forces inside a city.

Dude
bresh

Post by bresh »

I would asume that if ur not at war with spain, ur not besieged and therefore you cant place a depot in the city and if he (spain) has a depot in the area you cant place a one cause of the max one depot/area rule.

Also if the game is implemented correctly, spain besieges Lisbon as you are not at war with him your troops immidiatly have to surrender.

The major power is not at war with Spain.
Offcourse Portugal is.
Atleast EIA allowed 2 depots in same area if one was inside besieged habor. Dont know if that is implemented in this version.
But Portugal would have the first option to place a depot in the area, unless Spain does not besiege the first turn and place a depot the next land phase, (they cant place depots unless they have corps starting in the area).
Not sure how it works in EIAnw, i guess you cant place depots in the habor unless besieged ? Though note in this case Spain is besieging Portugal...

Regards
Bresh
zaquex

Post by zaquex »

could you post a screen shoot of the situation? it might help figure out whats going on.
An Elephant
Monadman

Post by Monadman »

Guys, sorry I didn’t post this sooner (thought I had) but it is a known bug (it broke again) and I already have a file for it. Thanks

Richard

Return to “Empires in Arms the Napoleonic Wars of 1805 - 1815”