CEaW and Vista

This forum is for official support and troubleshooting FAQs.
FMMeier

CEaW and Vista

Post by FMMeier »

any plans to adjust CEaW to WIndows Vista ?

I have Vista Home Premium and CEaW is not working. The Startup appears up to language selection and then no further reaction...

Frank
IainMcNeil

RE: CEaW and Vista

Post by IainMcNeil »

It should be fine as it is - all you need to do is right click the shortcut on your desktop and set it to run as administrator. Vista is not games friendly unfortunately.
Iain McNeil
Director
Matrix Games
Magpius

Post by Magpius »

ignore please, read your advice a little more closely[8|]
morleron1225

Post by morleron1225 »

I am having the same problem with Vista.  My account has full administrator privleges, but I cannot get the game to run.  Also, the uninstall script breaks with an invalid filename error.  I have manually uninstalled the game, including using regedit to remove any keys that have anything to do with the game, and reinstalled, and the game still doesn't work.  The language selection screen comes up, I click on the English flag (or any flag for that matter), the selection screen disappears, and nothing else happens.  Below are some details of my hardware and software:

HP Pavilion dv9000T with the following:
Vista Home Ultimate
2GB RAM
Mobile Intel(R) 965 Express Chipset Family graphics
Intel dual-core 64 bit 2GHz processor
2x120GB harddrives
Wireless and 100Mb/s Ethernet connections

Please let me know if you need any further information or if I can run any tests or diagnostics to help solve this problem.

If this issue cannot be resolved is it possible to get a refund?

Thanks for the help,
Ron

Free men do not ask permission to bear arms.
GnuPG public key available at: pgp.mit.edu
Fred98

Post by Fred98 »

ORIGINAL: morleron1
If this issue cannot be resolved is it possible to get a refund?

Game requirements:

Windows 98
Windows ME
Windows 2000
Windows XP

[&:]

-
IainMcNeil

Post by IainMcNeil »

You'll need to contact Matrix tech support about this. For some reason their installer has issues with Vista.

Have you right clicked on the desktop icon and said "Run as Adminisatrator"?
Iain McNeil
Director
Matrix Games
morleron1225

Post by morleron1225 »

I gave uninstalling/reinstalling another shot and now things are working. Strange, but that's a Microsoft OS for you, inexplicable behaviour.

Later,
Ron
Free men do not ask permission to bear arms.
GnuPG public key available at: pgp.mit.edu
Coolhnd1

Post by Coolhnd1 »

ORIGINAL: Iain McNeil

It should be fine as it is - all you need to do is right click the shortcut on your desktop and set it to run as administrator. Vista is not games friendly unfortunately.

I have to laugh at that last sentance. Why in the name of god do you need to run as administrator?! This just shows lazy and unsafe programming habits. Even if your a game programmer you should respect the security of people's computers. Now I'm probably being a bit unfair since you proabably started programming before Vista was out but even with XP MS has recommendations for writing programs that minimize the need for administrator access.

Sorry to be so critical because I do enjoy the game but you should be a little more careful about saying things like Vista not begin game friendly.
-- CoolHand
IainMcNeil

Post by IainMcNeil »

Ah sorry I did not know we had an expert around :)

So what do you think about Vista not including Dx9 dll files that are required for most games that were written before Vista released? The only way to get them working is to manually copy them one by one from a non Vista machine to the Vista machine as Vista wont let you install Dx9 as it comes with Dx10.

You're right - Vista is a game friendly machine ;)

Developing games is really really difficult and for games like CEAW there are no resources or budgets to do comapability testing. Your comments show a real lack of understanding of the games industry and what it takes for a one man team to develop a project like this.
Iain McNeil
Director
Matrix Games
POTS

Post by POTS »

Iain i share your frustration. Stick with it. As far as the person having problems with the game working. I had the exact same problem here is how i solved it, step-by-step.

[ol][*]Open Windows Explorer
[*]Navigate to your CEAW folder
[*]Find the "autorun.exe" file
[*]Right click "autorun.exe"
[*]Select "properties" tab
[*]Select "compatability" tab
[*]Select "run this program in compatibility mode for:"
[*]Select from drop down box "windows xp with sp2"
[*]Check "run program as administrator" box
[*]Select "apply"
[*]OK
[*]ENJOY![/ol]
The gereral must be righteous. If he is not righteous, then he will not be severe. If he is not severe, then he will not be awesome, then the troops will not die for him. -SUN TZU-
IainMcNeil

Post by IainMcNeil »

Great to know there is a way to work around this - thanks!
Iain McNeil
Director
Matrix Games
Alasse

Post by Alasse »

My father recently bought this game and tried to install it. didn't work, so I tried to install it on my laptop as well.

We both get the same error when running it. When we try to run the exe file, we simply get an error saying setup isn't working anymore. So not even a hint of a gamescreen or anything... I tried the tips mentioned here to install but that didn't help.

Does anybody have suggestions for this problem?

We would like to get a refund if it doesn't work, on the box and the website it says Vista compatible, only the game manual stops at XP...

Return to “Tech Support”