Unit Descriptions: Air, Naval, Land

World in Flames is the computer version of Australian Design Group classic board game. World In Flames is a highly detailed game covering the both Europe and Pacific Theaters of Operations during World War II. If you want grand strategy this game is for you.

Moderator: Shannon V. OKeets

Mziln

RE: Need help!!!

Post by Mziln »

ORIGINAL: Shannon V. OKeets

But your Japanese is impeccable now, right?[;)]

Nice stuff.[&o]

Hai! Ichi ban hanchô Shannon san [&o]
Toed

Post by Toed »

Amazing work Mziln. One quick question. This keeps ending the writeups ...X was removend from the list in... What list? Just curious.
Shannon V. OKeets

Post by Shannon V. OKeets »

ORIGINAL: Toed

Amazing work Mziln. One quick question. This keeps ending the writeups ...X was removend from the list in... What list? Just curious.
I believe it is the offical list of the nation's ships - referred to simply as "the list". Stricken from the list(s) means it is no longer considered part of the nation's navy. The opposite end of being commissioned.

Curiously, when a ship takes on water (i.e., is beginning to sink), and starts to tilt to one side, it is said to 'list'; no relationship to the other use of the word - just a coincidence.
Steve

Perfection is an elusive goal.
Toed

Post by Toed »

Thank you
Mziln

Post by Mziln »

Steve is right it is the navys list of commissioned ships.

The number, such as Langley (CV-1), is called the "pennant number" of the ship.

The name pennant number (sometimes referred to as pendant numbers) is used because ships were originally allocated a pennant (flag) identifying their flotilla or a particular type of vessel. The pennant number consists of letters and numbers this way ships can be uniquely identified.

I included this for the US an CW because there were duplicate named ships with different pennant numbers.

I didn't do this for the Japanese because there were no duplicate named ships and to avoid confusion.
Froonp

Post by Froonp »

ORIGINAL: Mziln

The name pennant number (sometimes referred to as pendant numbers) is used because ships were originally allocated a pennant (flag) identifying their flotilla or a particular type of vessel. The pennant number consists of letters and numbers this way ships can be uniquely identified.

I included this for the US an CW because there were duplicate named ships with different pennant numbers.

I didn't do this for the Japanese because there were no duplicate named ships and to avoid confusion.
Japanese ships used Pennant numbers too ?
I would be interested with a list of those numbers and the ships associated. For curiosity.
Mziln, thanks for the splendid research about the Japanese ships. I did not read them all, only a couple, and this is very good. Each of those put the designated ship into perspective as if it was the center of the world, and you re live its career. Great !
Mziln

Post by Mziln »

ORIGINAL: Froonp
ORIGINAL: Mziln

Japanese ships used Pennant numbers too ?
I would be interested with a list of those numbers and the ships associated. For curiosity.
Mziln, thanks for the splendid research about the Japanese ships. I did not read them all, only a couple, and this is very good. Each of those put the designated ship into perspective as if it was the center of the world, and you re live its career. Great !

This is not a complete list but the site says pictures are from the 1943 Naval Recognition Manual.

Select ~ Ships of WW 2 (top of the window) ~ Imperial Japanese Navy
jesperpehrson

Post by jesperpehrson »

Status-report on Landunits (all countries):
614 out of 1062 units done (58%)

DONE:
Siberian Russia 4/4 (Adam) DONE!
Finland 8/8 (Adam) DONE!
Rumania 10/10 (Adam) DONE!
Mongolia 1/1 (Adam) DONE!
Switzerland 6/6 (Adam) DONE!
Phillipines 1/1 (Adam) DONE!
Afghanistan 2/2 (Adam) DONE!
Australia 8/8 (Michaelbaldur) DONE!
New Zeeland 3/3 (Michaelbaldur) DONE!
South Africa 5/5 (Michaelbaldur) DONE!
Denmark 1/1 (Michaelbaldur) DONE!
Norway 3/3 (Michaelbaldur) DONE!
Poland 14/14 (Michaelbaldur) DONE!
AOI 1/1 (Mziln) DONE!
Croatia 1/1 (Capitan) DONE!
Ecuador 1/1 (Capitan) DONE!
Peru 1/1 (Capitan) DONE!
French Somalia 1/1 (Capitan) DONE!
Ivory Coast 1/1 (Capitan) DONE!
French Sudan 1/1 (Capitan) DONE!
Senegal 1/1 (Capitan) DONE!
Middle Congo 1/1 (Capitan) DONE!
Niger 1/1 (Capitan) DONE!
Indo-China 1/1 (Capitan) DONE!
N. East Indies 2/2 (Capitan) DONE!
Belgian Congo 1/1 (Capitan) DONE!
Saudi Arabia 1/1 (Capitan) DONE!
Iraq 2/2 (Capitan) DONE!
Liberia 1/1 (Capitan) DONE!
Cameroon 1/1 (Capitan) DONE!
Gabon 1/1 (Capitan) DONE!
Madagascar 1/1 (Capitan) DONE!
Morroco 1/1 (Capitan) DONE!
Algeria 2/2 (Capitan) DONE!
Tunisia 1/1 (Capitan) DONE!
Syria 2/2 (Capitan) DONE!
Sudan 1/1 (Capitan) DONE!
Nigeria 2/2 (Capitan) DONE!
Sierra Leone 1/1 (Capitan) DONE!
British Somalialand 1/1 (Capitan) DONE!
Egypt 2/2 (Capitan) DONE!
Kenya 1/1 (Capitan) DONE!
Uganda 1/1 (Capitan) DONE!
Tanganyika 1/1 (Capitan) DONE!
Northern Rhodesia 1/1 (Capitan) DONE!
Southern Rhodesia 1/1 (Capitan)
Palestine 1/1 (Capitan) DONE!
Aden 1/1 (Capitan) DONE!
New Caledonia 1/1 (Capitan) DONE!
Sweden 13/13 (Toed) DONE!
Ireland 2/2 (bj_rodhe) DONE!
Hungary 6/6 (Grisouille) DONE!
Bulgaria 3/3 (Grisouille) DONE!
France 68/68(Grisouille)DONE
Greece 4/4 (Grisouille) DONE!
SS-Germany 19/19 (Grisouille) DONE!
Netherlands 2/2 (Grisouille) DONE!
Yugoslavia 9/9 (Dale) (DONE!)

ASSIGNED but NOT DONE:
USA 50/99 (Adam)
Russia 124/146 (Adam)
Ukraine 0/8 (Adam)
Communist China 16/18 (Wosung)
Nat. China 34/38 (Wosung)
Korea 0/2 (Wosung)
Manchuko 0/4 (Wosung)
Formosa 0/1 (Wosung)
Italy 22/61 (Jimm)
Libya 0/3 (Jimm)
Eritrea 0/1 (Jimm)
Italian Somalialand 0/2 (Jimm)
Burma 1/2 (Capitan)
Germany 83/128 (Capitan)
Thailand 0/1 (Capitan)
Northern Ireland 0/1 (Capitan)
Belgium 0/4 (BredsjöMagnus)
Nat. Spain 2/14 (SPerdomo) ACTIVE?
UK 18/57 (Rob)
Canada 5/10 (Rob)
India 1/13 (Rob)
Brasil 0/5 (Horaf) ACTIVE?
Argentina 0/3 (Horaf) ACTIVE?
Mexico 0/6 (Jeff)
Panama 0/2 (Jeff)
Colombia 0/1 (Jeff)
Venezuela 0/1 (Jeff)
Bolivia 0/1 (Jeff)
Paraguay 0/1 (Jeff)
Uruguay 0/1 (Jeff)
Chile 0/2 (Jeff)

UNASSIGNED:
Japan 11/76
Zoya and Tito 0/2
------------------
Iran 0/2
Portugal 0/2
Turkey 1/13

LOW PRIORITY:
Ethiopia 1/6
Rep. Spain 1/14
Czeckoslovakia 1/15
Austria 0/3
-------------
"NEW UNITS" 7/61

Also the ART (including ART, AA and AT) for all nations is being done by STABILO

Anyone who like to pitch in with any of the unassigned countries is welcome to take part! Just send me a PM and I will help you get started!

EVERYONE ALREADY INVOLVED BUT NOT IN CONTACT PLEASE SEND ME A PM FOR A HEADS-UP!

- Capitan
PBEMgames played
- Korea 50-51 MV as communist
- Agonia y Victoria xx as Republican
- Plan Blau OV as Soviet
- The great war xx as Central Powers
- DNO XX as Soviet
jesperpehrson

Post by jesperpehrson »

A small update:
* Adam is alive and back in the game! Welcome back mate!
* Grisouille has of course finished the dutch. An oversight on my part!
* Stabilo has joined the MWIF writersguild and has taken on all the ART, and is doing good progress! Thanks for helping out!
* I will get cracking at incorporating all the writeups written but not yet in the game.
* Warspite1 and Hanshafen have both expressed willingsness to help out but we have not yet reached any decisions.

I will give the people listed as inactive (BredsjöMagnus, Horaf, IDG, Dale, MichaelBaldur, bj_rodhe) some time to get back to me but in time, we will need to finish the British and the Japanese. So far we have little progress on them and this concerns me a bit. Fortunatly, in that perspective, we have more time to finish it all.

Anyone willing to lend a hand, if it is only with 1 writeup, it is much appreciated.
PBEMgames played
- Plan Blau OV as Soviet
- DNO XX as Soviet
jesperpehrson

Post by jesperpehrson »

Another quick update!

Warspite1 (Rob) has taken on the UK! Big round of applause for him! He even finished one writeup.

Stabilo (Klaus) has finished a few ART already so things are really looking up for all our ART!

The french are now mostly done. Only a few "new" units need some attention but we are on it.

I have located the Dales Yugoslav forces (don´t understand how I missed them really) but they are not formatted so I need to do that before considering them done.

A new talent, Doug, has stepped up to do some more writeups but we are still deciding on which country to attack so to speak.

Japan is still open and in desperate need of attention.
PBEMgames played
- Plan Blau OV as Soviet
- DNO XX as Soviet
jesperpehrson

Post by jesperpehrson »

This writeup is a tricky one as it is still very controversial for different reasons. Please give me some idea if it is ok or if I should mellow it down further.

Attachments
PALTERR.jpg
PALTERR.jpg (124.62 KiB) Viewed 59 times
PBEMgames played
- Plan Blau OV as Soviet
- DNO XX as Soviet
composer99

Post by composer99 »

Couple of suggestions with regards to this write-up (with a view to avoiding over-generalizations while also not being too neutering):

(1) Replace "The Palestinian Jews [...]" with "A number of Jews, both long-established locals and recent immigrants from Europe, [...]". A lot of the "Palestinian" (that is, Sephardic/Arabic) Jews were neither Zionists nor particularly pro-British (then again, few Arabs of any religion were at the time), and a fair few of the Ashkenazi immigrants from Europe had rather anti-British views as well (although as they were Zionists it was for a different reason than the Arab population).

(2) Replace "The Palestinian Muslims" with "Many Palestinian Arabs", as Palestine contained substantial Arab Christian and Jewish populations at the time. I would also substitute "were siding with the Germans" with "took a pro-German position." and then delete the rest of the paragraph and replace it with the following:

"The Palestinian position was influenced by their nascent nationalism and its accompanying resentment of British colonial rule, their reflexive and often knee-jerk anti-immigrant sentiment, common enough to other national and ethnic groups at the time, with regards to the recent influx of European Jews, and in some cases, such as with the Grand Mufti Hajj Amin al Husseini, anti-Jewish animosity of the sort that had emerged in Europe over the previous half-century (and had led to the increased migration of Jews to Palestine in the first place)."
~ Composer99
Shannon V. OKeets

ORIGINAL: composer99

Couple of suggestions with regards to this write-up (with a view to avoiding over-generalizations while also not being too neutering):

(1) Replace "The Palestinian Jews [...]" with "A number of Jews, both long-established locals and recent immigrants from Europe, [...]". A lot of the "Palestinian" (that is, Sephardic/Arabic) Jews were neither Zionists nor particularly pro-British (then again, few Arabs of any religion were at the time), and a fair few of the Ashkenazi immigrants from Europe had rather anti-British views as well (although as they were Zionists it was for a different reason than the Arab population).

(2) Replace "The Palestinian Muslims" with "Many Palestinian Arabs", as Palestine contained substantial Arab Christian and Jewish populations at the time. I would also substitute "were siding with the Germans" with "took a pro-German position." and then delete the rest of the paragraph and replace it with the following:

"The Palestinian position was influenced by their nascent nationalism and its accompanying resentment of British colonial rule, their reflexive and often knee-jerk anti-immigrant sentiment, common enough to other national and ethnic groups at the time, with regards to the recent influx of European Jews, and in some cases, such as with the Grand Mufti Hajj Amin al Husseini, anti-Jewish animosity of the sort that had emerged in Europe over the previous half-century (and had led to the increased migration of Jews to Palestine in the first place)."
Nice, but delete "often knee-jerk" as it is redundant and inflamatory.
Steve

jesperpehrson

Post by jesperpehrson »

Nice! Thank you, it is not exactly my speciality and it is a minefield to find the right wording. I did as per Steves suggestion remove knee-jerk. Any other changes needed? Lets make it right! [:)]
PBEMgames played
- Plan Blau OV as Soviet
- DNO XX as Soviet
Shannon V. OKeets

ORIGINAL: capitan

Nice! Thank you, it is not exactly my speciality and it is a minefield to find the right wording. I did as per Steves suggestion remove knee-jerk. Any other changes needed? Lets make it right! [:)]
Perhaps a new screen shot with the revised wording would help at this point.
Steve

jesperpehrson

Post by jesperpehrson »

New screenies from Rob (warspite1)

Attachments
UKARM.jpg
UKARM.jpg (156.67 KiB) Viewed 59 times
PBEMgames played
- Plan Blau OV as Soviet
- DNO XX as Soviet
jesperpehrson

Post by jesperpehrson »

And a second one

Attachments
UKINF.jpg
UKINF.jpg (95.87 KiB) Viewed 59 times
PBEMgames played
- Plan Blau OV as Soviet
- DNO XX as Soviet
jesperpehrson

Post by jesperpehrson »

And the latest version of the Palestinian TERR

Attachments
PAL TERR.jpg
PAL TERR.jpg (146.69 KiB) Viewed 59 times
PBEMgames played
- Plan Blau OV as Soviet
- DNO XX as Soviet
warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

Capitan

A big thanks for posting my first two write ups so quickly.  My next write up will be XXX Corps which, given its extensive WWII combat history will give me far more to write about - what a great Unit!.  Before I get carried completely carried away, is there a maximum length for these write ups?     

Rgds

Warspite1
Now Maitland, now's your time!

Duke of Wellington to 1st Guards Brigade - Waterloo 18 June 1815
jesperpehrson

Post by jesperpehrson »

ORIGINAL: warspite1

Capitan

A big thanks for posting my first two write ups so quickly. My next write up will be XXX Corps which, given its extensive WWII combat history will give me far more to write about - what a great Unit!. Before I get carried completely carried away, is there a maximum length for these write ups?

Rgds

Warspite1

Not really (*glances at Wosung*) but we are not writing books mind you! [:D] Better write more than less I say, as long as it is entertaining and somewhat accurate.

Check for Wosungs Chinese writeups in this thread and you will see that we are not really having trouble with large writeups.
PBEMgames played
- Plan Blau OV as Soviet
- DNO XX as Soviet

Return to “World in Flames”