Oil to Oz

Share your gameplay tips, secret tactics and fabulous strategies with fellow gamers.

Moderators: wdolson, Don Bowen, mogami

wwengr

Oil to Oz

Post by wwengr »

I routinely ship oil from Los Angeles to Oz. I find that the Continental US overproduces oil by 660 points per day. Specifically, I mean that if fully supplied with oil, the US Heavy Industry can use all of the oil produced and leave an excess of 660 each day. Oz has a deficit of oil.

Given the choice, I would rather ship oil than fuel to Oz as the heavy industry trhere will then use it with resources to produce both oil and supplies.

I never ship oil from India to Oz. It is a relatively short haul from India to Oz for the supplies and fuel and I like to keep an abundance of supplies in India anayway.

I have never understood the significance of Allied Manpower centers. For that reason I am also concerned that if I ship oil away from Indai and it undersupplies the Heavy Industry, it could result in undersupplying the manpower senters. True or no?

What do others do regarding shipping oil to Oz?
I have been inputting my orders for the campaign game first turn since July 4, 2009. I'm getting close. In another month or two, I might be able to run the turn!
RUPD3658

RE: Oil to Oz

Post by RUPD3658 »

Oil from India to Oz makes sence since India gets auto supply at Bombay and Kacachi so you don't even need the HI to be running. Oz needs the extra supply more.
"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has limits"- Darwin Awards 2003

"No plan survives contact with the enemy." - Field Marshall Helmuth von Moltke
[img]https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/upfi ... EDB99F.jpg[/img]
wwengr

Post by wwengr »

Thanks. Any idea if the Allied Manpower centers do anything? or do they just wait for the Japanese to conquer them and use them?
I have been inputting my orders for the campaign game first turn since July 4, 2009. I'm getting close. In another month or two, I might be able to run the turn!
RUPD3658

Post by RUPD3658 »

As the Allies you have so much of everything I would not even worry about them. Even as Japan I never ran short of manpower.
"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has limits"- Darwin Awards 2003

"No plan survives contact with the enemy." - Field Marshall Helmuth von Moltke
[img]https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/upfi ... EDB99F.jpg[/img]
saj42

Post by saj42 »

I do ship Fuel down from India to Oz. I generally have half the RN down under so I need to keep it fuelled up.

Manpower centres only need resources to function, but as to whether the Allies use the manpower points I've never checked.
Banner by rogueusmc
wwengr

Post by wwengr »

Shhh! Don't tell my brother, son or friend that I play head-to-head against.  As allied player, early in the war, I use the smaller tankers to extract quite a lot of oil from Amboina and Sorong without losing tankers.  I generally have found that it is pointless to try to get any out of Brunei and Tarakan.  They usually promptly sink my tankers there within the first few days.  I might get one load out of Balikpapan before it gets too hot.  Java is do-able, but it is tricky.  You have to sneak the tankers in, then every time you detect soem bad guys coming, disband them and hope they survivethe port attack (which they usually do).  Before the fall of Singapore, they have always been to busy there to molest my tankers at Palembang, but as soon as Singapore falls, the honeymoon is over.  Northern Sumatra and Rangoon... Forget about it.  It seems they always take pleasure in sinking anything that I try to send there.

PS... If you think I will ever play you in PBEM, don't read this!
sventhebold

Post by sventhebold »

Does it matter which port in OZ you bring the oil into to get the maximum benefits?
ssgt usaf 84-91 f-15a/c ops puke 525 tfs & 7th tfs
USSAmerica

Post by USSAmerica »

ORIGINAL: sventhebold

Does it matter which port in OZ you bring the oil into to get the maximum benefits?

Sure, take it to the ports with large Heavy Industry like Sydney and Melbourne to get the most benefit. Dropping it at other places will allow it to move from base to base, but some is lost as waste during the transfer. Also, if the bases are too far apart, no transfer will take place. For instance, Darwin or Perth are too far away from Melbourne and Sydney in Stock to transfer oil.
Mike

"Good times will set you free" - Jimmy Buffett

"They need more rum punch" - Me

Artwork by The Amazing Dixie
Dino

Post by Dino »

The closer to your industry (Sidney, Melbourne...), the better.

I usually ship it to Brisbane and let it move by rail from there.

EDIT: cross post
AW1Steve

Post by AW1Steve »

So Darwin is probably not a good choice then? [&:]
Dino

Post by Dino »

ORIGINAL: AW1Steve

It can be a good choice for stockpiling the DEI oil initially, but it won't be helping the OZ industry from there.

USSAmerica

Post by USSAmerica »

ORIGINAL: AW1Steve

Correct. In stock, it is too far for it to move to bases with HI. It makes a good temporary dumping place when playing "keep away from the Japs", but you need to later haul it to some place with HI. (Perth is an even better dumping place, since a little can be used there, and shipping it to Melbourne/Sydney later is usually safer from air attacks, etc.)
Mike

USSAmerica

Post by USSAmerica »

Dino, it seems we are destined to cross swords (or at least posts) today.  [:D]
Mike

Dino

Post by Dino »

nyah, nyah...I was faster this time. [:'(] [:D]

wwengr

Post by wwengr »

I did a little spreadhseet set up and considered oil production, consumption by heavy industry, and point to point distance. Given plenty of tankers, the optimal single point to bring it in to is Sydney. That gives best proximity to the largest amount of heavy industry and therefore the least amount of loss during rail/road transport

Ideally, if you can move an adequate volume fast enough, you would want keep the ports stocked in this order Sydney-Melbourne-Adelaide-Brisbane-Perth. Don't count on having that much oil and being able to move it fast enough. If you are doing good with transporting oil bring it in to Sydney and Brisbane.

Delivering Oil from India to Perth is good. Perth has a 150 point per day oil deficit. You will not be able to get that much out of India. India produces all Oil inland (300/day at Lahore and 150 per day at Dacca). The upside is that you lose no Oil from rail transport out of Perth. The downside is that you need to transport the supplies and fuel from Perth. On the first turn use as many tankers as necessary to load all of the oil that you can from Karachi, Los Angeles, San Francisco, and Seattle. Ship it all to Oz. Always keep a tanker in Karachi and one in Los Angeles Loading Oil.

It does not matter if you run short in the United States and India. You have an excess of everything in those areas.
Gem35

Post by Gem35 »

I use Darwin as a staging center for any oil from the DEI I can evacuate before the bad guys show up and then tanker it to Melbourne or Sydney.
It doesn't make any sense, Admiral. Were we better than the Japanese or just luckier?

[center]Image[/center]
[center]Banner By Feurer Krieg[/center]

Return to “The War Room”