Field of Strategy 2 Game

Gamers can also use this forum to chat about any game related subject, news, rumours etc.

Moderator: maddog986

noone23

Field of Strategy 2 Game

Post by noone23 »

There is a free wargame currently available called Field of Strategy 2. The game operates on four levels - tactical and divisional battles and operational and strategic campaigns. At the moment(more is always in the works)the following historical eras are represented: Napoleonic(all four levels), World War II(all four levels), medieval(tactical battles), 18th century(tactical battles)and modern(divisional battles and a strategic campaign). The download package includes map and army/scenario editors. One caveat: this game's graphics won't win any awards; however, I think they get the job done well enough. So, then, to get the game go to Yahoo! Search and in the dialog box type in "field of strategy game"(uppercase not required). On the first results page you should see a link for FOS2 and the TPGames start page. Click on that link and when you get to the TPGames start page you will see the download link that you need. This page also has a link to the FOS2 forums in English and French(the FOS2 creator and forums moderator is French)so after you have tried out the game you can sign up for the English forums and, I hope, keep me some company. It appears that a lot of people have signed up for these forums recently but they all seem to be going to the French forums, which makes enough sense considering that FOS2 has previously gotten very little publicity outside France. Anyway, good luck and enjoy!!
Veldor

RE: Field of Strategy 2 Game

Post by Veldor »

As an alternative to the above click the following link:

http://tpgames.free.fr/FoS/

I can get past the bad graphics. It's more the poor english that gets annoying. Maybe someone can volunteer to do better translations for him.

marcusm

Post by marcusm »

Quite impressive for a free game though. Maybe he's aiming to do number 2 with Matrixgames ;).

Apparently a number 2 is on its way. Sounds almost like they did with Peoples -> Advanced Tactics.
Deus Vult.
Veldor

Post by Veldor »

What you see there is version 2
Twotribes

Post by Twotribes »

Maybe later, tonight the download was at 16 kb, that would take over an hour on high speed, no thanks.
Favoritism is alive and well here.
marcusm

Post by marcusm »

My mistake. Still looks very ambitious for a free game. It would look
ambitious for a commersial game too(minus the graphics then).
Deus Vult.
sullafelix

Post by sullafelix »

No offense but screw the graphics, they're the easiest thing to fix. Matrix should snatch this up in a heart beat. Finally a tactical Napoleonics game. Who cares about the WW2 etc. modules, we already have Advanced Tactics. Witrh some tweaking this could be the successor to Battles of Napoleon. Now if they could tie in the strategic movement with these tactical battles, heaven. For a free wargame it is fantastic. I have played all of the free ones out there and they pale in comparision. I played the original FOS and it was your average free game, but not now. This could be the Napoleonic game that got squashed and the developer joined the new Horse and Musket ( which is coming along great ).

Considering that BON has black and white lines but a large amount of people still play it, it's still the only game in town. I can live with the grapics, sure they could be better.
Windows 7 home premium 64
Intel quad core I7
16 gig
AMD R9 200 series

Di! Ecce hora! Uxor mea me necabit!
Brigz

Post by Brigz »

ORIGINAL: sulla05

I played the original FOS and it was your average free game, but not now. This could be the Napoleonic game that got squashed and the developer joined the new Horse and Musket ( which is coming along great ).
I tried the original FOS game and found it to be lacking. It just wasn't that exciting for me. So what is new about FOS2 that makes it so much better? Other than the cleaned up graphics it looks like pretty much the same game.
“You're only young once but you can be immature for as long as you want”
Veldor

Post by Veldor »

Wow you guys are easily pleased. Right now its free but slap a $39.99 or even $29.99 pricetag on it and suddenly its lacking in a whole long list of things that go far far beyond graphics...

marcusm

Post by marcusm »

Best part about being free is that it costs nothing to try it. Unless you game on paid time ;).
Deus Vult.
sullafelix

Post by sullafelix »

I never said it didn't need work. I said for Matrix or an independent working with Matrix to grab it. Of course it needs work. I thought People's tactics stank, but I love Advanced Tactics. Any game in the history of computing so far that has tried to simulate several eras at the same time has failed miserably. I play TOAW3 regularly, but it stinks with anything other than 20th century. That is why I said for FOS to drop all ihe other eras and only concentrate on the 19th century. The last Empire game was a total mess. Ever since they took Empire and made it a paid geme it stank. So I'm hoping it doesn't end up like that one.

As far as FOS2 being better than when I tried it they only had the grand tactical or whatever they call it, available for Napoleonics. Now they actually have a tactical game module. The grand tactical still looks and plays the same. That's the reason I didn't like it before the GT play and yes very poor graphics. I'm playing the waterloo tactical now and I think it's pretty good for what that's worth. I never said I would spend a nickel on it at this moment. I might however donate money to the developer if he's asking on the website, I didn't check yet. If it will help them keep enhancing it.

I've dumped more than my fair share of cash on games that were even reveiwed well but stank. I even bought some wargames down through the years that couldn't even run with patches.
Windows 7 home premium 64
Intel quad core I7
16 gig
AMD R9 200 series

Di! Ecce hora! Uxor mea me necabit!
noone23

Post by noone23 »

Dave - what has changed, basically, is the content. The 18th century tactical module was added after I first downloaded the game and the medieval tactical battles apparently came shortly before I found the game. Also, several Napoleonic tactical battles were added(mostly concentrating on the 16th of October - 1813 - battles around Leipzig).
ravinhood

Post by ravinhood »

Anyone who thinks or says "Peoples Tactics" stank or stunk....stink stank and stunk themselves. For a free game Peoples Tactics was EXCELLENT. You double stink for saying it stunk you stinker. :)
WE/I WANT 1:1 or something even 1:2 death animations in the KOIOS PANZER COMMAND SERIES don't forget Erik! ;) and Floating Paratroopers We grew up with Minor, Marginal and Decisive victories why rock the boat with Marginal, Decisive and Legendary?

Return to “General Discussion”