Dai Senryaku VII Exceed for US PS2

Gamers can also use this forum to chat about any game related subject, news, rumours etc.

Moderator: maddog986

jvgfanatic

Dai Senryaku VII Exceed for US PS2

Post by jvgfanatic »

I've been quiet about this title up here for a couple of reasons, mainly I've just been waiting for someone else to mention it.

Some of you may remember a game for the XBox called Dai Senryaku VII and others might remember an earlier (better, IMO) game in the series for the Saturn called Iron Storm. Well, Valcon Games has released a localization of Dai Senryaku VII Exceed for Playstation 2. Here's a brief rundown on what Dai Senryaku is:

Dai Senryaku is a modern era military, turn-based strategy game played on a hexagonal grid of varying terrain. Actions in Dai Senryaku consist of resupply, moving, attacking, bombarding facilities, combining units, producing and placing (experienced) units, loading units onto transports, and capturing facilities. The following countries are playable: Japan, America, Russia, Germany, England, France, Israel, and China. The following terrain elements combine to make Dai Senryaku Exceed's maps: Capital, City, Airport, Port, Factory, Refinery, Bridge, Plain, Desert, Wasteland, Wetland, Grove, Forest, Hill, Mountain, Peaks, Lake, Shallows, Sea, Deep Sea, Snowfield, Snowy Grove, Snowy Forest, Snowy Hill, and Snowy Peaks. The game contains over 400 units across the nations listed. Each hex can contain multiple units at different heights from deep sea to upper atmosphere, this provides for quite dynamic fronts. There are over 100 Free Play maps fully customizable through a map editor as well as game parameters such as starting funds, fuel, CPU control, and alliances.

New features since the XBox version:

- Campaign Mode: 20+ interconnected battles with persistent units. These battles are huge, particularly when compared to the XBox's Mission Mode.
- Facility Bombardment reduces facility effectiveness.
- Engineer units to repair Bombardment damage
- Naval units now have air intercept
- Multiplayer now blacks out the screen between player turns to hide unit positions
- Single button press for unit information

This may not be enough for those gamers who have played the Xbox version extensively but if you've not had a chance to play that game and have a PS2 then it might be worth checking out. It is definitely my favorite 'pick up and play' strategy game on the console. It doesn't hold a candle to it's PC brethren but then again, what console strategy game does?
Veldor

RE: Dai Senryaku VII Exceed for US PS2

Post by Veldor »

-Units commanded by japanamated children

Yuk.
jvgfanatic

Post by jvgfanatic »

Your reply makes no sense. Grow up. Units are controlled by the player, if that is what you consider yourself then go for it.
Veldor

Post by Veldor »

ORIGINAL: jvgfanatic

Your reply makes no sense. Grow up. Units are controlled by the player, if that is what you consider yourself then go for it.

I preferred your response when you called me racist before you edited that out..

Then your response made even less sense than mine.

I was mostly joking. It's basically a knock at the lack of the games actual realism levels.

I find it humorous when the japanese cutesy up a game that could otherwise possibly be taken as at least a half serious historical attempt at something.

I realize your one of those hardcore anime fans. I just don't personally like cartoons in my strategy/wargames.

So Grow up! and learn to take a joke...

Attachments
jvg924947_..creen001.jpg
jvg924947_..creen001.jpg (155.55 KiB) Viewed 524 times
Goblin

Post by Goblin »

I have to agree. The cartoon girl(?) looks like it would ruin it for me. The game itself looks like it would be cool from the screenshot, but the anime crap would have to go...

Goblin
jvgfanatic

Post by jvgfanatic »

ORIGINAL: Veldor

I preferred your response when you called me racist before you edited that out..

Then your response made even less sense than mine.

I was mostly joking. It's basically a knock at the lack of the games actual realism levels.

I find it humorous when the japanese cutesy up a game that could otherwise possibly be taken as at least a half serious historical attempt at something.

I realize your one of those hardcore anime fans. I just don't personally like cartoons in my strategy/wargames.

So Grow up! and learn to take a joke...

The operator is optional (that means you can turn him or her off, I prefer 'off').

I never called you a racist, if something you say "borders on racism" (those were my words though admittedly misplaced and thus deleted) makes you a racist, well, perhaps there are deeper things at work.

As to the realism, it's about as close as you'll get on a console. That isn't saying much, of course, but one might as well draw the line at console games in general if one is going to start knocking Daisenryaku for it's failed attempt at realism.

Is your assuming that I'm a "hardcore anime fan" another attempt at a joke? Never mind. Thanks for bumping the post anyway. Cheers.
jvgfanatic

Post by jvgfanatic »

ORIGINAL: Goblin

I have to agree. The cartoon girl(?) looks like it would ruin it for me. The game itself looks like it would be cool from the screenshot, but the anime crap would have to go...

Goblin

Yep, you can turn her (and him) off.

Edit: it's a good thing too because they are bloody annoying.
Veldor

Post by Veldor »

Is your assuming that I'm a "hardcore anime fan" another attempt at a joke? Never mind. Thanks for bumping the post anyway. Cheers.
J=Japanese
V=Video
G=Game
Fanatic=Fanatic (a person with an extreme and uncritical enthusiasm which further implies unbalanced or obsessive behavior)

Hard to imagine a Japense Video Game Fanatic could not be at least a hardcore anime fan if not a fanatical anime fan. Maybe a Japense Video Game Fan could not be one but a fanatic? [:D] Unless by hardcore you thought I meant p0rn ie. Hentai or however its spelled. Thats likely true of many anime fans anyway as to the rest of us its really all the same thing anyway (Though I know Les the Sarge once tried defending showing nude anime films to some teen because it was by definition Anime and not Hentai. And then wondering why the mother got so upset.) [8|]

But truthfully I only know your a anime fan not because of the above but because you've posted such before.

Why deny it now? There is nothing wrong with anime or hentai right? Stand up for your beliefs!

<Bump>
Saedor

Post by Saedor »

I can't stand anime either, but I have a 14 year old son that likes it. He also enjoys wargames, but doesn't have much patience for the kind being produced for us 40-something, armchair historians that think every game needs to cover an entire war at battalion level and last a million turns. :)
&nbsp;
While I wouldn't buy this game for myself, I would for my son. It looks like a good simulation that he could get interested in, which could lead to him becoming a more serious wargamer down the line.
&nbsp;
Unfortunately, we don't have a PS2.... He just got a Wii for Christmas. :)
&nbsp;
Zakhal

Post by Zakhal »

You can pick ps2 for pennies now. I paid 100€ for the new slim model 2 yrs ago. Thers a new improved model coming soon that is better and costs even less than that. The slim model itself is not much bigger than a dvd-case so it fits nicely to whatver space. And it has a huge gamecatalogue (ps2 and ps1 included) that is possible the biggest ever when it comes to consoles.

The games for ps2 (new ones) are also much cheaper than on the ones on new consoles. PS3 games can cost up to 70€ which is just robbery imho.
"99.9% of all internet arguments are due to people not understanding someone else's point. The other 0.1% is arguing over made up statistics."- unknown poster
"Those who dont read history are destined to repeat it."– Edmund Burke
jvgfanatic

Post by jvgfanatic »

J=Japanese
V=Video
G=Game
Fanatic=Fanatic (a person with an extreme and uncritical enthusiasm which further implies unbalanced or obsessive behavior)

Hard to imagine a Japense Video Game Fanatic could not be at least a hardcore anime fan if not a fanatical anime fan. Maybe a Japense Video Game Fan could not be one but a fanatic? [:D] Unless by hardcore you thought I meant p0rn ie. Hentai or however its spelled. Thats likely true of many anime fans anyway as to the rest of us its really all the same thing anyway (Though I know Les the Sarge once tried defending showing nude anime films to some teen because it was by definition Anime and not Hentai. And then wondering why the mother got so upset.) [8|]

But truthfully I only know your a anime fan not because of the above but because you've posted such before.

Why deny it now? There is nothing wrong with anime or hentai right? Stand up for your beliefs!

<Bump>

Why you try so desperately to make this topic about me instead of the game is beyond me. Apparently you want so hard to convince not just yourself but everyone else that I enjoy anime. Alas, I left my enjoyment of anime in the dust quite some time back. I don't knock others and who do enjoy it and will handily stand up to their defense as I do recall fondly enjoying a few (A FEW) shows, none of them hentai, for their artistic merit. A hardcore fan has seen FAR MORE than I ever will. I have had this username for over 10 years. I still enjoy the study of the Japanese language and I still enjoy Japanese strategy games, almost none of them have a single second of anime in them. Happy? GOD I hope so! [:D]

Edit: I suppose since we're on the subject of me I should mention that I wrote the superbly crappy manual for this game. My interest in it hardly vested however as I did the job for free and get nothing as a result of any sales. Hell, the game retails for $15 so even if I did get anything it would be pennies.

Now, back to the game please. Whee!

Veldor

Post by Veldor »

Why you try so desperately to make this topic about me instead of the game is beyond me.

It was obvious from the start there was some sort of connection, lingering/small or otherwise because anyone else would have just taken my one line joke as that and nothing more..

Since I dont own the game or a PS2 the only way to continue to bump the thread for you is to talk about you. My apologies.

I do own a Wii and an XBOX 360 however. It would seem Sony has doubly lost this last round of console wars to that effect.

Beyond any over-anime(ation) in the game I don't think I'd be able to get past struggling with the likely akward controls that any game console would have when it comes to strategy games. They really outta account for universal compatibility with any standard usb mouse or keyboard. That would go a long way to helping with that issue IMHO.
jvgfanatic

Post by jvgfanatic »

Beyond any over-anime(ation) in the game I don't think I'd be able to get past struggling with the likely akward controls that any game console would have when it comes to strategy games. They really outta account for universal compatibility with any standard usb mouse or keyboard. That would go a long way to helping with that issue IMHO.

If anything can be said about the animation in D7E it would be that it is under-animated. The operator which can be disabled is about it. The combat animations are weak (they have been since D7MMT on the XBox) and are often the first things I turn off. The BGM is also repetitious and lame. The game is, within five minutes of turning it on, reduced to its core which is ripping great fun strategy game play.

The controls aren't bad though as with any console strategy game would have benefited by a mouse.
CCB

Post by CCB »

I have Dai Senryaku VII for Xbox, got it for $20.&nbsp; I was impressed by the fact that players could make their own maps and scenarios.&nbsp; I even created a few myself.&nbsp; However I never got around to playing it as much as I did Panzer General or Allied General on the original Playstation.
&nbsp;
Had the units in&nbsp;Dai Senryaku VII looked more realistic as they do on SSI's People's General, then I probably would have spent more time with DS7.
Peux Ce Que Veux
in den vereinigten staaten hergestellt
Peter Fisla

Post by Peter Fisla »

I have the original XBOX version as well, I have played few battles and I have to say I enjoy it. Though I didn't play it for a while now...need more spare time!
stemmer11

Post by stemmer11 »

Dai Senryaku VII Exceed
Does anyone have a suggestion for a game found at matrixgames.com which is similar to Dai Senryaku VII Exceed?
I have played it through on the PS2 and enjoy the game very much. Would love to find a game close to this one for the PC.
Thanks in advance for any assistance.
Joe
Perturabo

Post by Perturabo »

Is it something similar to Sengoku Rance?
Fallschirmjager

Post by Fallschirmjager »

I had this game for the X-Box but never finished it. The missions mid way through the game became incredibly difficult. It was a good game though with real military equipment.
And the game was never intended to be the least bit historical. I would say it closely resembled Advance Wars which is another well made series.
I don't have any interest in buying a PS2 game though. I wish this would have come out on the PSP
stemmer11

Post by stemmer11 »

Perturabo
That is not a game I am familiar with. I looked up the game and as a general rule of thumb I would say it is not really designed quite like that game. Thanks for asking.
Joe
stemmer11

Post by stemmer11 »

I am told that Dai Senryaku Perfect for the PSP is not that bad. I myself have never played it do I can not tell you how it is compared to the Exceed VII for PS2.
I do know that the Exceed VII for PS2 has a good deal of "fixes" over the XBOX VII version which was released before the PS2 version.
If you are running a PS3 or XBOX360 I am told by the manufacturer that they will be making an English version of their latest release. Looks like a hot game with more depth and more details. The link is:
http://www.ss-alpha.co.jp/
Joe

Return to “General Discussion”