Trey Marshall WW3 scenarios?

Norm Koger's The Operational Art of War III is the next game in the award-winning Operational Art of War game series. TOAW3 is updated and enhanced version of the TOAW: Century of Warfare game series. TOAW3 is a turn based game covering operational warfare from 1850-2015. Game scale is from 2.5km to 50km and half day to full week turns. TOAW3 scenarios have been designed by over 70 designers and included over 130 scenarios. TOAW3 comes complete with a full game editor.

Moderators: JAMiAM, ralphtricky

PaulWRoberts

Trey Marshall WW3 scenarios?

Post by PaulWRoberts »

Hi all,

I've noticed that three of Trey Marshall's WW3 scenarios (BAOR, Northern Germany, and Southern Germany) are part of the TOAW III group of scens (under "NATO vs. Warsaw Pact"). However, he has two other WW3 scenarios (US V Corps and US VII Corps) at the same scale available on Rugged Defense. These are nowhere included in default TOAW III (even among the "Classic TOAW" scenarios).

Since all five of these scenarios seem to go together, is there some reason the latter two aren't included? Do these have a problem with the latest TOAW engine?
marcusm

RE: Trey Marshall WW3 scenarios?

Post by marcusm »

Don't forget the Nordic theatre. I like that one best.

Deus Vult.
Menschenfresser

Post by Menschenfresser »

I'll bite the bullet on this one. If I'm thinking of the same scenarios, I was part of the scenario review section tasked with looking at those two scenarios and whether or not they should be included with the initial release of TOAW3. I don't know what the 4 or 5 other members of my team said, but I voted thumbs down when push came to shove. I played through both solitaire but can't recall exactly what turned me off. I'd have to open them up again and see if the map would jog my memory. When we judged scenarios, we didn't look necessarily toward groups of related ones. Mostly just quality, playability and uniqueness.
Make wargames, not war.
marcusm

Post by marcusm »

I am thinking of the GDW WW3 scenarios. I don't think any made it to TOAW3.
The ones at Rugged Defence seems to work fine though.

Personally I regard them as some of the best TOAW scenarios made.

Deus Vult.
PaulWRoberts

Post by PaulWRoberts »

ORIGINAL: marcusm

I am thinking of the GDW WW3 scenarios. I don't think any made it to TOAW3.
The ones at Rugged Defence seems to work fine though.

Personally I regard them as some of the best TOAW scenarios made.

"GDW WW3 scenarios"? Which are these?
marcusm

Post by marcusm »

Those are the scenarios based on the superb World War 3 modules from Games Design Workshop.

Deus Vult.
cesteman

Post by cesteman »

We need more of these!! Hint Hint [:D]
LOK_32MK

Post by LOK_32MK »

Just as an fyi: my 1988 Global Conflict scenario is based on the GDW WW3 scenarios which I had modified extensively back in the days when I had time.
I am in the process of revising the scenario to make it more playable.
marcusm

Post by marcusm »

Though I prefer the module based approach. GDW:s boardgames were separate.
Never liked mammoth scenarios because TOAW handles them poorly.

Currently playing the Romania scenario against PO and it works pretty well.
Deus Vult.
Spook043

Post by Spook043 »

I did a revision of Trey's US VII Corps scenario (The Hof Gap region) in the TOAW2 days, and was satisfied with the end result. The map had a lot of rework, some limited rework with the forces, and it was this scenario where I really cut my teeth learning to work with the event editor and sorting out its loops.

I still have the scenario file, but not the TOAW2 game, nor did I purchase ACOW later on. Does anyone know how to get a TOAW2 scenario imported into TOAW3? Does it need to be edited and saved first by ACOW?
marcusm

Post by marcusm »

You need to resave them in the various games I think. This is why I needed
help with the Finnish Civil War scenario.
Deus Vult.
LOK_32MK

Post by LOK_32MK »

ORIGINAL: marcusm

Though I prefer the module based approach. GDW:s boardgames were separate.
Never liked mammoth scenarios because TOAW handles them poorly.

Currently playing the Romania scenario against PO and it works pretty well.
I agree that TOAW handles large scenarios poorly however, a lot of people (myself included) seem to enjoy the monster scenarios despite the limitations.

For the GDW series: assume you wanted to play all of the GDW theaters European/Persian Gulf and may be a Middle East theater with Israel/Lebanon/Syria etc. AND add a Pacific/Korean theater (which were not part of the GDW series) in TOAW. How many TAOW scenarios would you create for the series?

marcusm

Post by marcusm »

As many as the game boxes obviously(minus Asia) ;). This is what Trey Marshall the genius scenario designer did.
He also created one single scenario for the entire war but I prefer the modules since I play against PO mostly.

The monster scenarios are probably for the PBEM folks but since that community has more or less died out I
am glad these PO optimized scenarios exist.

Except for Kogers Korean scenario, I have found nothing that comes close to Treys GDW conversions(for modern scenarios that is).

It beats me why these werent included in the original TOAW3 release.

Deus Vult.

Return to “Norm Koger's The Operational Art Of War III”