Problem with Equipment Editor (BioEd?)

Norm Koger's The Operational Art of War III is the next game in the award-winning Operational Art of War game series. TOAW3 is updated and enhanced version of the TOAW: Century of Warfare game series. TOAW3 is a turn based game covering operational warfare from 1850-2015. Game scale is from 2.5km to 50km and half day to full week turns. TOAW3 scenarios have been designed by over 70 designers and included over 130 scenarios. TOAW3 comes complete with a full game editor.

Moderators: ralphtricky, JAMiAM

Spook043

Problem with Equipment Editor (BioEd?)

Post by Spook043 »

Just recently downloaded and installed TOAW3. I've been following the instructions in the "Manuals" folder ("How to Edit the Equipment Database" PDF) on how to do database editing, including the download of BioEd and the ACOW support files.

Not having earlier versions of ACOW installed, I also created and ran the COW.REG file.

But when I try to open either ACOW exe file in BioEd, I get a series of warning pop-ups: "File not found", with a path like "/Graphics/----.bmp" in each unique pop-up, but I've confirmed that the bmp files are indeed there in the TOAW3 Graphics folder.

There's a pathing problem here, but the noted PDF guide isn't helping me enough here.

Thanks for any responses.
Jeff Norton

RE: Problem with Equipment Editor (BioEd?)

Post by Jeff Norton »

tt.asp?forumid=290

Check the links on this page - they're pretty well fixed the issue I had. If you need further assistance, PM (personal message) me - I'll help as much as I can...

-J
-Jeff
Veritas Vos Liberabit
"Hate America - love their movies" -Foos Babaganoosh - Anchor - Jihad Tonite
Spook043

Post by Spook043 »

Thanks for the quick reply. I checked the thread on "BioEd Installation and COW.Reg Issue", and found this comment by ralphtrick:

"RUn regedit and make sure that the following registry key is installed, and that's where TOAW III is installed.. "

But I'm not an intuitive user of regedit. Should the COW.reg file show in specific in regedit, when threading down to "\TalonSoft\The Operational Art of War, CW"? The only thing I see there is a "default" REG-SZ file.

So I'm stuck as before. [:(]

Perhaps stated explicitly, where should COW.Reg be physically located? In the TOAW3 folder, or some sub-folder? Does it matter?

Actually, I had thought before buying the download that the equipment update utility would be INCLUDED as part of the TOAW3 code & editor, instead of having to download external files from various sites.

Sorry, just getting a bit frustrated here.
desert

Post by desert »

I think this is what you need?
Change to zip.
Attachments
F02C2A336F..D55AF384.txt
(310 Bytes) Downloaded 38 times
"I would rather he had given me one more division"
- Rommel, when Hitler made him a Field Marshall
sPzAbt653

Post by sPzAbt653 »

'Actually, I had thought before buying the download that the equipment update utility would be INCLUDED as part of the TOAW3 code & editor, instead of having to download external files from various sites.'

Bio-Ed isn't a part of TOAW, it was designed by some brilliant geniuses and then distributed thru their generous hearts. [&o]
Spook043

Post by Spook043 »

My apologies, folks, if I was coming off a bit edgy in my last post. (Perhaps the holiday stress?) I should clear the air a bit.

Reading up earlier today, yes, I was aware that BioEd and the means to edit equipment was volunteer effort, and kudos is due to all involved in working to bring that about to the TOAW community. Certainly in the earlier TOAW days (my last prior days were with TOAW2), the means to edit and generate new equipment was something I clamored for too.

Just that in following the guidance PDF, I thought I was making sure to connect the dots, yet they haven't. I just hope a future incarnation of TOAW will have this feature wired in too as part of the main engine--if possible.

Well, desert, I'll check now the zip you've sent. Again, thanks all so far for helping. And I'll let y'all know later if I'm finally up & running.
Spook043

Post by Spook043 »

ORIGINAL: desert

I think this is what you need?
Change to zip.

I checked the test.reg file you sent, and text-wise, it was exactly the same I had earlier.

Except that you didn't space between the second and third lines like I did, so I gave your file a whirl.

NOW the BioEd utility works! [:)] Some things just seem to turn on such subtle notes, I guess.

Thanks again.
desert

Post by desert »

Let me give you a link to an old thread of mine [:)]
You might relate to it.

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=1578291

PS: Don't read after Post #9.
"I would rather he had given me one more division"
- Rommel, when Hitler made him a Field Marshall

Return to “Norm Koger's The Operational Art Of War III”