Unconditional Surrender to the Game's Obtuseness

Empires in Arms is the computer version of Australian Design Group classic board game. Empires in Arms is a seven player game of grand strategy set during the Napoleonic period of 1805-1815. The unit scale is corps level with full diplomatic options

Moderator: MOD_EIA

joviel

Unconditional Surrender to the Game's Obtuseness

Post by joviel »

I just backed out of the PBEM game I was trying to get into. The text of my email is below;

I'm backing out of this before I screw things up for everyone. Even after three tries I haven't been able to complete the Turkish setup. I get "Must setup all forces" messages even though all corps and factors have been placed (and yes, I placed the two Turkish free states, Syria and Emerta).

The game just isn't ready for prime time. It isn't complex, it is obtuse. I have a sinking feeling I wasted my money.

Guys, in its current incarnation, the game is a less than wonderful experience. There is information missing, info necessary to complete even the basics. I have been playing computer strategy games for 25 years (since the Atari 800) so I have a high threshold of pain (Hey, I managed to have fun with computer Third Reich!). This is the first time I've given up.

I'm sure that with love, debugging and a better manual it will be a great game. But I could never recommend the current version to anyone. I say this not to dis the game or to vent frustration, but to try to communicate to the developers and EiA boardgame grognards that, lacking their inherent knowledge, the game is unplayable.

Scott Uhrick
God is a comedian playing to an audience too afraid to laugh.

H.L. Mencken
Irish Guards

RE: Unconditional Surrender to the Game's Obtuseness

Post by Irish Guards »

Call me here ....

1 905 881 2690 .....

You should see ,,,,, bottom left corner ....of screen ,,, in white what you have to place .. For Turkey ...

you placing your fleet ... " transports "
You are the 2nd guy in the game so its .. np ....
IDG
Suvorov928

Post by Suvorov928 »

Yea, there are some problems, and some bugs ha needs fixing, however, if you cannot finish placing your units, I can tell you, you are making an error somewhere and forgetting something.  I have setup every country in this game over the last few days, and all work.  
Monadman

Post by Monadman »

ORIGINAL: joviel

I just backed out of the PBEM game I was trying to get into. The text of my email is below;

I'm backing out of this before I screw things up for everyone. Even after three tries I haven't been able to complete the Turkish setup. I get "Must setup all forces" messages even though all corps and factors have been placed (and yes, I placed the two Turkish free states, Syria and Emerta).

The game just isn't ready for prime time. It isn't complex, it is obtuse. I have a sinking feeling I wasted my money.

Guys, in its current incarnation, the game is a less than wonderful experience. There is information missing, info necessary to complete even the basics. I have been playing computer strategy games for 25 years (since the Atari 800) so I have a high threshold of pain (Hey, I managed to have fun with computer Third Reich!). This is the first time I've given up.

I'm sure that with love, debugging and a better manual it will be a great game. But I could never recommend the current version to anyone. I say this not to dis the game or to vent frustration, but to try to communicate to the developers and EiA boardgame grognards that, lacking their inherent knowledge, the game is unplayable.

Scott Uhrick

Scott,

Could you please try this before you go?

Click any land area on the map and view the Status Panel. It will show the current major power’s available factors during setup. You need to add them before advancing the game.

I suspect you forgot the Turkish fleets as you did not mention them in your post.

Richard

Attachments
statuspanelcopy.jpg
statuspanelcopy.jpg (65.21 KiB) Viewed 99 times
Irish Guards

Post by Irish Guards »

Vendee Pbem game ... wee are now at France Diplomacy phase ... [&o]
After .. ummm ... well ... ahhh .... [&:]
I know about French Diplomacy ...

Know the game fine .. lol ... Ah yeah .. ummm sure ... lmao [X(]
To get game to go .. have a pretty good idea now .. [X(]
Got my units on board .. Think its important .. [X(]
I hope ... [8|]
Oh Dear ... [:'(]
IrishDragoonGuards

chuckj118

Post by chuckj118 »

Use the auto setup the first time through...lower left last button on the 2nd row I believe.

joviel

Post by joviel »

Yep, tried the supplied setup. Bur when I started to change it things went screwy. And for some reason one can't remove the feudal units to lay them down in a different area.

Scott

H.L. Mencken
joviel

Post by joviel »

Will do, and thanks,

Scott

H.L. Mencken
joviel

Post by joviel »

Thanks for pointing out the panel with the remaining troops to be placed. That did the trick, I completed the setup for the first time. I had placed the fleets before, so it was something else I must have missed.

Why can't the feudal units be removed once placed? Seems like a harsh restriction. Obviously I am not the mistake-free type. :)

Thanks again to all, there is actually life in the game after all, but it still needs major surgery.

Scott

H.L. Mencken
Monadman

Post by Monadman »

ORIGINAL: joviel

Thanks for pointing out the panel with the remaining troops to be placed. That did the trick, I completed the setup for the first time. I had placed the fleets before, so it was something else I must have missed.

Why can't the feudal units be removed once placed? Seems like a harsh restriction. Obviously I am not the mistake-free type. :)

Thanks again to all, there is actually life in the game after all, but it still needs major surgery.

Scott

Scott,

Rather than removing them, it is possible to double-click them around the map. And yes, I am very baaaaaaaaaaaad boy for not mentioning that in the manual. So we now have a line in the next addendum file, which will be coming to a computer near your fingertips very soon.

ADDITION
Section 5.2.1 Manual Setups
Add the following to the end of this section

Note: If you click on the counter and then double-click another area in that major power’s territory, the counter will move to that location (this does not apply for depots and leaders).

Enjoy

Richard

pakron

Post by pakron »

Dang, I wish I had known that for my Turkish set-up in one of the PBeM games I am in. It was a pain having to re-do my set up several times.
1LTRambo

Post by 1LTRambo »

Yeah. I don't even have the game yet and I'm learning some good stuff on this forum. And to think of all the nay sayers over the years.
Matthew T. Rambo

Return to “Empires in Arms the Napoleonic Wars of 1805 - 1815”