What the heck is a Power Point?

Advanced Tactics is a versatile turn-based strategy system that gives gamers the chance to wage almost any battle in any time period. The initial release focuses on World War II and includes a number of historical scenarios as well as a full editor! This forum supports both the original Advanced Tactics and the new and improved Advanced Tactics: Gold Edition.

Moderator: Vic

Canuck_jp

What the heck is a Power Point?

Post by Canuck_jp »

Slogging through the manual and came upon this: "Troops usually need one Staff Point for every Power Point they are worth".

What the heck? As far as I know this is the first time power points have ever been mentioned before. I Ctrl-F and manage to find a definition for it 30 pages later but I still have no idea how to find out how many power points a unit is worth. Clarification please?
Canuck_jp

RE: What the heck is a Power Point?

Post by Canuck_jp »

Also what the heck is the number in the bottom left of the unit icon?  I must have missed it because I didn't see where it stated what that number represents.
dazoline II

Post by dazoline II »

A power point is what gives a sub formation its oomph, its power. It can be changed in the editor and as seen with the units here each of which contain a single sub formation, the number on the bottom is directly related to the power each has. All units have same xp, morale and supply here. With the light tank having 20 power points, a medium 40 and a heavy 80.

Attachments
untitled.jpg
untitled.jpg (188.23 KiB) Viewed 45 times
Moscow by winter? Only if you send Fast Heinz to Kiev.
Vic

Post by Vic »

power points are the values displayed on the counters (modified for readiness and xp).

you can see the power points of an SFType by clicking on a picture of it to open the SFType stats window and search up the PowerPoint stat.
Visit www.vrdesigns.net for the latest news, polls, screenshots and blogs on Shadow Empire, Decisive Campaigns and Advanced Tactics
PDiFolco

Post by PDiFolco »

Attention to the fact that's it's some value decided by the designer but it has *NO* effect whatsoever on combat.
The values have been given with a sense of relative power but it's just that : try attacking an couple of entrenched Bazooka units (PP = 2)  with a couple Lt Tanks (PP 40) and you'll see !
Also the Cargo and Air Transport units have 20 PP but are unable to fight.
PDF
Canuck_jp

Post by Canuck_jp »

So a 45x infantry with a PP of 1 would have 45 powerpoints plus bonuses then?  And what is this SFType that everyone keeps talking about?  
Canuck_jp

Post by Canuck_jp »

ORIGINAL: PDiFolco

Attention to the fact that's it's some value decided by the designer but it has *NO* effect whatsoever on combat.
The values have been given with a sense of relative power but it's just that : try attacking an couple of entrenched Bazooka units (PP = 2) with a couple Lt Tanks (PP 40) and you'll see !
Also the Cargo and Air Transport units have 20 PP but are unable to fight.

Ok but in order to make sure that your Staff % is as close to 100% as possible then you would want to know what your total PP are, wouldn't you?
Vic

Post by Vic »

@pdifolco,

it is not realy a *no effect* stat.

the power point difference is used in the experience growth calculations.  

also it used in the staff points needed calculations.

:)
Visit www.vrdesigns.net for the latest news, polls, screenshots and blogs on Shadow Empire, Decisive Campaigns and Advanced Tactics
tweber

Post by tweber »

The unit on the map is really a container that holds SFTypes.  Examples of SFTypes are rifle, trucks, light tanks, staff. 

Also, you do not have to manually calculate power points to determine staff needed.  If you select a unit, there are a bunch of statistics.  The staff % tells you how much staff you have in your headquarter relative to your staff need.  If the number is higher, you get a higher combat and morale bonus.  This is very important in competative games.  However, you get no further bonuses if your staff level is above 100% so you want to keep the number close to 100%.

raydudeva

Post by raydudeva »

hmmmm. I think I answered my own question as I was typing this.

SFTypes -> the SF stands for subformation right? Hence, the subformation types are rifle, trucks, staff. DOH! :)
kevinkins

Post by kevinkins »

"Attention to the fact that's it's some value decided by the designer but it has *NO* effect whatsoever on combat.
The values have been given with a sense of relative power but it's just that : try attacking an couple of entrenched Bazooka units (PP = 2)  with a couple Lt Tanks (PP 40) and you'll see !
Also the Cargo and Air Transport units have 20 PP but are unable to fight."

So what do we look at to get a sense of the "odds" prior to attacking?

- Kevin 
“The study of history lies at the foundation of all sound military conclusions and practice.”
Alfred Thayer Mahan
tweber

Post by tweber »

There are no explicit odds displayed. You have to use intuition based on all the factors - composition, readiness, staff support, morale, luck. If you want to really understand odds, you have to run the battle in combat sim mode. But in the end, this simulates the uncertainties that commanders faced.
Captain Cruft

Post by Captain Cruft »

I really like that the combat odds are a bit opaque. About the only thing you can say for definite is that units with higher numbers on them are relatively more dangerous ;)
Canuck_jp

Post by Canuck_jp »

Well I certainly hope that the game is a lot better than the manual.  I get to page 47 and it starts talking about anti-supply damage for naval transports and I'm like WTF is anti-supply??  Well apparently supply is explained on page 59 of the manual!!  No wonder I don't know what the hell is going on.
Temple

Post by Temple »

Yah, anti-supply had my head spinning. IMHO it's always been a problem with manuals throughout the years, do you write it as a reference or as a teaching tool?

I think if there is enough interest someone will get motivated to do something like COTA has, make a "getting started" manual plus a reference manual.
Canuck_jp

Post by Canuck_jp »

All I ask for is a little something in brackets such as "(for more on Supply, please refer to page 59 of the manual)."  That way I don't have to go around Ctrl-F'ing just so I can bring up every mention of "supply" in the manual like I had to also do for "power point".
PDiFolco

Post by PDiFolco »

ORIGINAL: kevinkin

"Attention to the fact that's it's some value decided by the designer but it has *NO* effect whatsoever on combat.
The values have been given with a sense of relative power but it's just that : try attacking an couple of entrenched Bazooka units (PP = 2) with a couple Lt Tanks (PP 40) and you'll see !
Also the Cargo and Air Transport units have 20 PP but are unable to fight."

- Kevin

At the unit detailed combat values vs SFTypes you're planning to attack (in the subunit detail), plus the terrain enemy is in, the readiness of each side, entrenchment level of enemy, possible HQ and encirclement bonuses... well much more than just Power Points ![X(]
PDF
miral

Post by miral »

Ok, the manual may not be real good, but the game is great! Just play and it will start to make more sense with each game. The game is so good I forgive the designer the manual. My first game I had little idea what was happening. I've played about 5 games now, some not to completion and I think I have about 90% of the rules and concepts. Hang in, its worth it.

Return to “Advanced Tactics Series”