Why I probably wont be buying Admirals Edition

This new stand alone release based on the legendary War in the Pacific from 2 by 3 Games adds significant improvements and changes to enhance game play, improve realism, and increase historical accuracy. With dozens of new features, new art, and engine improvements, War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition brings you the most realistic and immersive WWII Pacific Theater wargame ever!

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

Williamb

Why I probably wont be buying Admirals Edition

Post by Williamb »

Dont get me wrong it looks good and is a great boost to a good game. And I have bought many Matrix games over the years.

However.

This seems to me to be only an upgrade rather than a full game. If the price is under $40 bucks can see myself getting it. If it is over that amount I doubt I will.

Why ? Because there is apparently still plans for a WITP 2. And that looks to be a much more significant upgrade. So the question is do I wait 6 months for an upgraded WITP Admirals edition or do I wait 2 years for a fully changed WITP 2 ?

I cant afford full rate for both. So it becomes a choice of one or the other. I can play my current version of WITP and do without the Admirals edition and wait out the time for WITP 2.

Again price is the key. If this was a completely new game might consider $75 or higher. But that isnt what Admiral's edition is.
TOMLABEL

RE: Why I probably wont be buying Admirals Edition

Post by TOMLABEL »

Wait and see what the pricing will be. There have been alot of great changes and for me, at least, waiting for an undetermined time for WITP II is just too long.

TOMLABEL
Art by the Rogue-USMC

WITP Admiral's Edition: Ship & Sub Art/Base Unit Art/Map Icon Art

"If destruction be our lot - it will come from within"...Abraham Lincoln
bradfordkay

Post by bradfordkay »

I highly doubt that a WITP2 would be released within two years of the AE. They've already been working on the AE for two years, and that was using the existing engine. I would expect a totally new game to take longer to produce than WITP:AE.
fair winds,
Brad
greg_slith

Post by greg_slith »

I've said the same thing about "The Dark Side Of the Moon". Bought it on vinyl. Bought it on cassette. Bought it on CD. Will probably get it on whatever comes next. Why? Cuz it's still great.[&o] Same with WitP. Matrix could've canned this game a long time ago but have, apparantly, put quite a bit more than just a fresh coat of paint on it. I know I'm getting old now that the two PC games I want the most are WitpAE and the new(?) Bombing the Rheich games.[:D]
n01487477

Post by n01487477 »

Man ... It almost costs me $40 bucks to get up in the morning ...

... by the time I factor in lunch, transport(gas), smokes and a beer after work ...

... WITP AE at least is something enjoyable, isn't this what I work for ?

... this game is the most cost effective fun I've ever had ... go out, drink a few beers, get a taxi home... see if you have 40c change out of a hundred...

It's also saved me tons of money (I used to buy a game a fortnight/month), now I never have to buy anything else, ok .. I lie a little, but mostly true!

Therefore, I know money is tight for some people, but I'd rather not go out one night or not smoke for a week (I'm giving up really, I am ...), and have another year or two's enhanced fun, with AE ...

No offence intended to anyone ... but save those pennies, cents, euros, and yen ... and ask yourself "Is there a better form of long-term enjoyment out there other than nookie (and if your dating it's not that free), that costs this little ?"
rockmedic109

Post by rockmedic109 »

Although AE is not WITP 2, it is enough of a change as to create a new game {which would be closer to my definition of a version 2}.  I've looked forward to all the patches for WITP, but for just over 24 hours now, I have had more anticipation than the original WITP....because I now know what a great game {WITP} is and the enhancements will take a great game to a level I've never heard or seen before.  Yeah, it will be worth another $70 if the enhancements that are listed come to pass.
Buck Beach

Post by Buck Beach »

I sure plan on buying it also and I am on a fixed income (and an AI player). 
Hortlund

Post by Hortlund »

Meh, Im going to buy it whatever it costs. I'll happily shell out 100 USD for AE.

Knowing the time, effort and dedication of those who have worked with it, and knowing how much I want to play with the new features added...money is not really a factor. Its worth it.
The era of procrastination, of half-measures, of soothing and baffling expedients, of delays, is coming to a close.
In its place we are entering a period of consequences..
Hortlund

Post by Hortlund »

ORIGINAL: William Amos
Why ? Because there is apparently still plans for a WITP 2. And that looks to be a much more significant upgrade. So the question is do I wait 6 months for an upgraded WITP Admirals edition or do I wait 2 years for a fully changed WITP 2 ?

I cant afford full rate for both. So it becomes a choice of one or the other. I can play my current version of WITP and do without the Admirals edition and wait out the time for WITP 2.

It doesnt really work that way though.

If AE sells bad (because of people like you perhaps?) then there wont be a witp2 -ever. Just as there would not have been an AE if witp had sold bad.

Im going to stop talking right now, because people like you really piss me off and I dont want to say something bad.
The era of procrastination, of half-measures, of soothing and baffling expedients, of delays, is coming to a close.
In its place we are entering a period of consequences..
rubisco

Post by rubisco »

It is a definite purchase for me too.

I usually have to buy 2 or 3 wargames in order to find one I will end up playing regularly. With WiTP:AE, I'm guaranteed to have a game I'll love, so I'd be willing to pay 3x market price for it.
Canoerebel

Post by Canoerebel »

We have to watch what we spend in my house, but by every measurement WitP and AE are a bargain.  I spend $8 to go to a movie (a rare event, but on occasion) - about $4/hour.  I buy WitP for $80 and spend hundreds (thousands) of hours enjoying the game.  What somebody just said applies too - I haven't bought another computer game since I purchased WitP in 2005.  In fact, I believe the only two games I've purchased since 2002 are UV and WitP.  

I hope AE is reasonable just so I don't humiliate myself (and tick off my wife supremely) by shelling out an outrageous sum, but waypoints alone have to be worth at least $35,000.  [:D]

Edited to make the sum really outlandish.
"Rats set fire to Mr. Cooper’s store in Fort Valley. No damage done." Columbus (Ga) Enquirer-Sun, October 2, 1880.
Etrigan

Post by Etrigan »

Hortlund
  doesnt really work that way though.

If AE sells bad (because of people like you perhaps?) then there wont be a witp2 -ever. Just as there would not have been an AE if witp had sold bad.

Im going to stop talking right now, because people like you really piss me off and I dont want to say something bad. 

People such as yourself who ceaselessly, endlessly, unremittingly, whine about others who piss them off are far more likely to drive away customers than one who offers valid customer feedback and even opens with the declarative statement "it looks good and is a great boost to a good game. And I have bought many Matrix games over the years".

I would tell you to shut the hell up and spend some time studying English grammar, military history, social etiquette or any of the myriad topics upon which you continually demonstrate your lack of familiarity but I don't want to say something bad.
Terminus

Post by Terminus »

Well, I probably shouldn't weigh in on this, but I'd say everybody (including William and Panzerjaeger and Etrigan) should wait for the price to be announced. Oh, and calm down a bit...
We are all dreams of the Giant Space Butterfly.
TheElf

Post by TheElf »

I'm no expert but I wouldn't hold you breath for WitP II.

Not saying it is or isn't going got happen, but the timeline for such a project considering AE hasn't even gone gold yet is how shall I say...out there.
IN PERPETUUM SINGULARIS SEDES

Grotius

Post by Grotius »

Oh yeah, I'm assuming any WITP2, even if it happens, would take five years. Besides, AE is like WITP1.75. 40-mile-hexes alone makes it like a new game to me.
donkey_roxor

Post by donkey_roxor »

I'm totally buying it, especially since it'll hopefully be available just as I graduate and get a real job.

Of course, if I end up as a bum, I'll get it too - I can start saving now. With my laptop, I can even play on the street!
drw61

Post by drw61 »

I will defiantly purchase this upgrade to a great game.  WitP has given me countless hours of enjoyment so the cost per hour is almost nil and I’m sure AE will be the same. 

I think that most of us on this forum has some sort of preset expectations (demands?) of what we want in the next game.  Better AI, allied production, more LCUs and ship classes, better interface….. Some of these will be added, some won’t. We in the forum need to back off a little and give the AE team the time needed to do its job. 
pad152

Post by pad152 »

We've been getting free updates for how many years now? If you want support of WITP to continue Matrix needs too get some money for this to continue, WITP is a game I still enjoy and this exp pack will continue my enjoyment.

Ron Saueracker

Post by Ron Saueracker »

I'm buying it for sure, and as I said I'm buying a hard copy of WITP to go with it despite already having the game. I bought 3 copies of UV and a Watchtower (SteelPantherExpansion) to support the developers so it is time to shell out some more mountain money to help keep these guys funded. Sure a lot of us have to be careful with money but UV and WITP have paid for themselves a hundred times over in entertainment savings simply because I've gone out less and have not felt the need to purchase too many other games.

Further, just looking at the list of improvements I've noticed that a large portion are similar to issues and ideas I have had with the game since Beta. This is fantastic. Better still, look at the pedigree of the guys doing the work. Could not find a better team.

AE is going to be amazing from what I gather.

Yammas from The Apo-Tiki Lounge. Future site of WITP AE benders! And then the s--t hit the fan
lyceum

Post by lyceum »

Like has already been said, witp (and the like) pays for itself in terms of the amount of time I enjoy it instead of being down the pub or whatever. I cannot wait, this is now number 1 on my games I'm gonna get list.

Return to “War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition”