Corps order timing

Empires in Arms is the computer version of Australian Design Group classic board game. Empires in Arms is a seven player game of grand strategy set during the Napoleonic period of 1805-1815. The unit scale is corps level with full diplomatic options

Moderator: MOD_EIA

benpark

Corps order timing

Post by benpark »

One thing that is driving me up the wall is the ordering timing of force factors and corps containers. I will order a corp container, and try to figure out when my infantry/arty/cav etc factors will arrive. I have wasted many points and money on the artillery factors for France because the corp container (IA) can't be selected because it has "lapsed".

Why not be allowed to order the corps containers at will?

Since I have never played the board game, I'm unsure if this is simulating something I may be missing in terms of game play.
"Fear is a darkroom where the devil develops his negatives" Gary Busey
hjaco

RE: Corps order timing

Post by hjaco »

You can create new corps each turn but you also need to put some forces into them. Empty corps are being removed each turn. It's no problem as they have "0" production time
Hit them where they aren't
benpark

Post by benpark »

That I know, it's the having to order the corps container in advance (particularly ones like artillery or cavalry), in order to have a place to put the forces. If you do not time this just right, the factors are wasted.
"Fear is a darkroom where the devil develops his negatives" Gary Busey
Thresh

Post by Thresh »

This is an ingame issue that should IMO be addressed, but not the way your probably thinking off.

Infantry takes 3 months to produce.
Cav takes 5, Guards and Arty 6. Militia is zeroproduction time.

So, if you buy Infantry in March, you have to buy a Corps container in March as well, or put that Infantry in garrison or existing Corps.

If You Buy Cav in March, but by the container in March, if you don't place it and transfer a cav factor to it, you will lose it in June.
So, if you buy Cav in March, buy the Corps in June, and you should be able to place the factors. Theres also a bit involved with depot placement, in corps you have to be located near a friendly depot if your outside your home nation.

That said, theres a rule in EiA that said if your produced a factor you could not place, such as guard or Cav, you could convert it to Infantry and place it as such. Which your currently unable to do.

Todd
Suvorov928

Post by Suvorov928 »

In this game, you can check and see which units are coming up as well.  It will let you look way into the future to see your builds, as a reminder to purchase corps.
JavaJoe

Post by JavaJoe »

ORIGINAL: benpark

That I know, it's the having to order the corps container in advance (particularly ones like artillery or cavalry), in order to have a place to put the forces. If you do not time this just right, the factors are wasted.

Yeah...planning ahead.

This game does take some time during the economic phase. Infantry takes 3 months to train. Militia 1 month. Those factors can be dropped into city garrisons or depot garrisons or corps.

Cavalry takes 5 months to train. If you order Cavalry built in June come November you need to remember to build a corps to accept it or have a corps in position to accept it (in a supply chain on or next to a depot).
Vice President Jersey Association Of Gamers
JerseyGamers.com
Monadman

Post by Monadman »

ORIGINAL: Thresh

That said, theres a rule in EiA that said if your produced a factor you could not place, such as guard or Cav, you could convert it to Infantry and place it as such. Which your currently unable to do.

Todd

Todd,

For converting factors read section 7.2.2

What is needed is a simple warning message during the economic phase that lists which forces will be coming due during the next quarter.

Richard
Thresh

Post by Thresh »

Thanks Monadman.

That said, if you click the Nation Statistics button, you see what your getting.

Todd
Jim D Burns

Post by Jim D Burns »

I think the best solution for this problem is to simply divert from the board game in an upcoming patch, or make an optional rule selectable in the options menu. Create a special slot in the capital city garrisons for all units that take more than 3 months to build called the reserve. These factors in the reserves are not eligible for battle if the city is attacked, it is simply a storage area for players who goof and forget to buy a corp.

That or allow advance purchasing of the corp. So when you buy the artillery, you then buy its corp and select 1, 2, 3, 4, etc. for how many economic phases to delay its availability (ships take 12 months etc.).

I doubt many if any board game group’s ever held anyone accountable over the draconian rule as it is simply an accounting oversight and can have drastic effects on the game, since it is the most expensive units that are affected.

Jim
yammahoper

Post by yammahoper »

Well, in the board game, you had your nation card board sheet in your hand, or a copy of it, and could with a glance see when and what troop were coming and get ready for it.

One thing is certain, if you think a cav or guard corp may be out supply when the next factors arrive, buy the corps you need now and place them with a transfer from old coprs (I but 4-5 cav at a time as Russia). Then you wont loose your factors.

yamma
...nothing is more chaotic than a battle won...

Return to “Empires in Arms the Napoleonic Wars of 1805 - 1815”