Still more tests

Eagle Day to Bombing of the Reich is a improved and enhanced edition of Talonsoft's older Battle of Britain and Bombing the Reich. This updated version represents the best simulation of the air war over Britain and the strategic bombing campaign over Europe that has ever been made.

Moderators: Joel Billings, harley, warshipbuilder, simovitch

Hard Sarge

Still more tests

Post by Hard Sarge »

new verisons, new tests

I got some raids from England headed out to hit some LW fields, with a number of sweeps following in the back track of the raids, to try and set up a area protection set up, for the bombers to limp home though

one trouble with the sweeps as far as players go, is they see the main idea, of sweeping airfields, but they forget all the other things sweeps can do

okay, this is the show raids, showing what is being plotted, before the turn begins

Attachments
Sweepsandraids.jpg
Sweepsandraids.jpg (128.48 KiB) Viewed 83 times
Hard Sarge

RE: Still more tests

Post by Hard Sarge »

the morning begins

in this shot, you can see the 3 B-17 raids getting close to the targets, some of the sweeps are seen taking off and moveing in, also you see the LW reaction, 190s and 109s in the air

Attachments
withplanes.jpg
withplanes.jpg (129.86 KiB) Viewed 85 times
Hard Sarge

Post by Hard Sarge »

oh yea, in the lower part of England, you see the B-26s and Mitchells from IXth and 2nd Tac moving out

pretty much same shot, but with Box turned on

Attachments
withbox.jpg
withbox.jpg (130.38 KiB) Viewed 82 times
Hard Sarge

Post by Hard Sarge »

ahhhh,nice pass !

wasn't expecting the LW to get that far into the channel before my sweeps were set up !!!

plus the 56th was sleeping

Attachments
nicepass.jpg
nicepass.jpg (131.34 KiB) Viewed 83 times
Hard Sarge

Post by Hard Sarge »

best laid plans and all, did well in some areas, and screwed up in others

didn't catch any planes on the ground, but did make one crash on landing, backed up sweeps helped with the back track, but some were too late to help, other were too early, caught a few planes landing, but lost Zemke

good run, am happy with it

Attachments
bestlaid..andall.jpg
bestlaid..andall.jpg (82.6 KiB) Viewed 83 times
davidjruss

Post by davidjruss »

Hard Sarge,

Still no joy then wth the "leader is one of the first pilots lost" problem?

DavidR
Hard Sarge

Post by Hard Sarge »

depends on the point of view, Zemke made a pass, then got bounced, not sure that is a Leader is the first target issue, he made the pass

which I also lost McCollom also, and part of the same deal, 2 47s broke off and bounced some 190s, then the 2 got bounced by other 190s

I lost 4 COs that turn, 3 fighter and 1 bomber, all 3 of the leaders we not with the unit when they were lost, so HARD to say it is a bug, or the fact that they were in a smaller target

for the Enemy, von Selle was shot down (bailed), and that was also once his unit broke up and spead out
Hard Sarge

Post by Hard Sarge »

been working on a test for Harley, trying to hunt down something for him

and had a interesting turn

I am liking how combat can work out

Attachments
goodraid.jpg
goodraid.jpg (124.15 KiB) Viewed 82 times
harley

Post by harley »

ORIGINAL: DavidR
Still no joy then wth the "leader is one of the first pilots lost" problem?

I know where the problem is, and have a fair idea on what to do with it, It just hasn't made it to the top of the list yet...

gigiddy gigiddy gig-i-ddy
Hard Sarge

Post by Hard Sarge »

I had a game of Bomb44 running, that I was hunting a bug for Harley, but been keeping it running

so thought I would start my verison of Big Week, and write about it

of course, as I had revamped what was going on with the IXth AF and found some errors, so may be starting up a new game (I had made the changes but kept the old game running, now want to see if the new changes are correct and the errors have been corrected)

but since I took some pics, and wanted to explain what was going on, think I may do so, and then quit and start a new game

okay , first off, I tend to play different then most of the other players, in the old days, I was one of the few (only ?) Allied player who seemed to lose less planes then the LW did

so my basic game plan is to kill the LW, instead of trying to win the game while the LW is still strong and active

so pretty much, from Feb 20th to March 8th, I have been working on the LW, and my score has been slowly going backward (weather and moon phases have pretty much kept BC on the ground)

so, when I start up Big Week, the score is poor, 3-0-7, but the kill ratio is good

Attachments
morning 8th.jpg
morning 8th.jpg (98.87 KiB) Viewed 82 times
Hard Sarge

Post by Hard Sarge »

(be nice if I upload the right snap)

here is a shot of the targets

one hassle with the first day, since I am still short of good long range planes, I got to group my raids into the same area, and since I am going deep and heading towards Halle, I got to knock that Rubber Site out !, and since I am planning on hitting the big DB plant, I want to hit the Alum site along the way (I work at Alcoa, so I always knock out all the Alum sites in the game)

so while this is the first day of Big Week, two of the main raids are going to non Aircraft factory targets

Attachments
mar8th.jpg
mar8th.jpg (153.01 KiB) Viewed 83 times
Hard Sarge

Post by Hard Sarge »

opening phases of the battle start out well

most of my sweeps miss, one of my 47 Groups lose 4 planes in one pass !!!, thinking ohoh

main raids come out and are half way to the target, when David Heath calls (think the boss would be mad if I didn't answer his call, just because I was playing a game)

when I get off the phone, this is what I see

Attachments
phonecall.jpg
phonecall.jpg (100 KiB) Viewed 82 times
Hard Sarge

Post by Hard Sarge »

wow, my boys been busy !!!!

but don't know who or what or why, or how the raids are going (all of the raids are on the way home by now)

Hmmm, a point of AS, 3 points of SD and a point of TE, not a bad damage turn at least

losses are Heavy
Hard Sarge

Post by Hard Sarge »

but overall, not impressed, if I were Gen Dolittle, I be doing a little screaming at my boys tonight, and I would be expecting a better showing tomorrow

(to be fair, I had poor intel, my recon was bad and I did major recon work today along with the raids, so, it is not really my boys fault)

Attachments
notimpressed.jpg
notimpressed.jpg (115.2 KiB) Viewed 82 times
Hard Sarge

Post by Hard Sarge »

well Rubber and Alum both took good hits, I lowered AFAC but not much (plus some of that is going to be better recon data on what was thought damaged or undamaged from before) EFAC took some damage

the Alum and Rubber sites both took major damage and are out, Bussling, the 10 point EFAC is down, Erla, the big ME plant was damaged, but not enough, the BMW plant was only damaged, 2 of the It plants were missed, another was knocked out

the two sites for the XVth were both pretty much misses

recon found some juicy targets for my sweepers

I think I will keep this one going, the errors I found are more things to upset me, then break the game, and as I have them fixed, ??????
Hard Sarge

Post by Hard Sarge »

hmmmm, stuipd and dumb, but I finally got it to work the way it should of worked

ahhh, okay back to Big Week, hope I get some weather
Hard Sarge

Post by Hard Sarge »

day two

bad weather in Germany and the Med

but England and France is, well not great, but not too bad

got targets in France, so it is there turn

lots of stuff on the southwest coast, time to aim for them,with some shorter stuff to try and draw off some fighters

cloud cover is bad in the Med, but high enough to try and slip a sweep in

Sweep sneaks in and hammers, on the way back, hits 2 other fields also, 2 FGs of the 12th claim 39 kills, but losses are a little heavy to Flak and the ANR

only 2 of 5 targets hit in France, but two AFACs are knocked out, 100 LW planes go down (44 on the ground !!!!)

got a major raid planned for the next day, going for the last big Rubber site, and a few Big EFACs that are in the same area

in our game, there are more targets, but I think the Axis is more brittle, time to find out

BC is going to be active tonight, hitting the RR centers close to the main EFACs, and will try and slip 2 low level sneak raids in to hit 2 of the Facs I missed the first day

my B-17s are getting low on morale, my 24s are fine

bringing in 2nd Tac to hit some of the close Chem/Rubber sites in France and to keep the LW honest

Attachments
notimpressedday2.jpg
notimpressedday2.jpg (134.69 KiB) Viewed 83 times
goodboyladdie

Post by goodboyladdie »

Sounds like there is still a lot of hard work to be done HS. Thanks very much for all the hard work you and the team are putting in to make sure that we get a good product at the end.

Art by the amazing Dixie
Hard Sarge

Post by Hard Sarge »

well, we got most of the HARD stuff out of the way, it is the easy stuff that is taking the time (?)

:)

thanks, we getting there
Hard Sarge

Post by Hard Sarge »

a massive day, thought it was better then it was :)

nailed some good sites, knocked down lots of bad guys, got alot of my planes knocked down also

seen 2 ANR pilots score there 6th kills (Drago was one, forgot the other)

seen one of my guys get 3 kills to push him into the lead with 7 kills

picked off a 262 !

was worried about bringing BC in, moon is still pretty bright, and they paid for it, but, they hammered, oops, had a raid heading into Lipzig, but also hoped to slip a 3 squadron low level raid into elra AFAC, they hit about the same time, the 3 squadron raid was a miss, but, most of the raid headed to Lipzig, seen the fires, and bombed early, taking Elra out :)

raid to the last big Rubber site, was a mess, hit the wrong target

overall a good turn, too many losses though

Attachments
notimpressedday3.jpg
notimpressedday3.jpg (111.95 KiB) Viewed 83 times

Return to “Gary Grigsby's Eagle Day to Bombing the Reich”