AE Air Issues and Air OOB Issues [OUTDATED]

This new stand alone release based on the legendary War in the Pacific from 2 by 3 Games adds significant improvements and changes to enhance game play, improve realism, and increase historical accuracy. With dozens of new features, new art, and engine improvements, War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition brings you the most realistic and immersive WWII Pacific Theater wargame ever!

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

Apollo11

RE: Admiral's Edition Air War Thread

Post by Apollo11 »

Hi all,
ORIGINAL: Erik Rutins
ORIGINAL: Charbroiled
You mentioned that certain types of aircraft will operate differently at different altitudes. Will there be a way for the aerial-knowledge-deficient to know when they have a type of plane operating outside of their optimim altitude?

AE shows you the plane performance by altitude band right in the plane stats, FYI.

Oh my... that's fantastic... FABULOUS!!!

I remember (I think from UV days - years and years ago [:)]) that I suggested simple chart to divide performanse of each and every aircraft for various altitudes and received answer that something similar was already thought about - and now it is in finally!

Leo "Apollo11"

Prior Preparation & Planning Prevents Pathetically Poor Performance!

A & B: WitW, WitE, WbtS, GGWaW, GGWaW2-AWD, HttR, CotA, BftB, CF
P: UV, WitP, WitP-AE
blam0

Post by blam0 »

Has their been any change to the concept that pilots with too low a morale score can decide not to fly?
<pow>
Akos Gergely

Post by Akos Gergely »

1 Do you plan to remove the base air activity numbers or whatever it is called that gave away free intel on what the other side just moved in to the base?

2 Also what about stacking limits for airfields? Do you implement something along the lines of what is planned for naval ports?

3 Are CV attack numbers toned down a bit (sortie points or what it's called at the moment - so it really is ahistorical when a CV group can pound a base for days and also when a CV can launch it's VT squad for uncounted torp attacks, when in reality most CVs did not have in stock more than 36 fishes.)
TheElf

Post by TheElf »

ORIGINAL: Captain Cruft

Expanded aircraft types

Something which always bugged me was the limited number of aircraft types. The classic example of this was the Mavis transports that started at Jaluit (in CHS). Since they were of type Transport if you moved them elsewhere you couldn't then move them back again since Jaluit was a size 0 airbase. The answer to this of would have been a new type called "Floatplane Transport" or some such with some subset or superset of Transport and Patrol attributes.

So have there been any additions or changes to aircraft types? I see we now have skill sets, which is BTW totally superb but applies to the airgroup and not to the fundamental capabilities of the aircraft.

Yes. Tac Recon, LBA has been divided in subsets: Heavy, Medium, Light and there are now Attack Bombers.
IN PERPETUUM SINGULARIS SEDES

TheElf

Post by TheElf »

ORIGINAL: blam0

Has their been any change to the concept that pilots with too low a morale score can decide not to fly?
Yes. They will fly now, however once airborne, aborts and the decision not to proceed to target may be still be affected. The end result is they fly, but they eat supply and such for the same result as before...a case where you have to be careful what you ask for...[;)]

Grotius

Post by Grotius »

Will there be any ballons in game?
The press release mentions barrage balloons and blimps! So the answer seems to be yes.
TheElf

Post by TheElf »

ORIGINAL: Charbroiled

Elf,

You mentioned that certain types of aircraft will operate differently at different altitudes. Will there be a way for the aerial-knowledge-deficient to know when they have a type of plane operating outside of their optimim altitude?

Yes. As Erik mentioned these stats are available in the Aircraft Database and on the A/C screen sub menu of each individaul air unit.

TheElf

Post by TheElf »

ORIGINAL: Grotius
Will there be any ballons in game?
The press release mentions barrage balloons and blimps! So the answer seems to be yes.

Yes. Bases with combined AF+port >6 have barrage balloons equal to fort level.

Blimps are primarily West Coast USA items that act as Naval or ASW Patrol. I believe they will be restricted.

TheElf

Post by TheElf »

ORIGINAL: Brady

Night, is it the same as before, or have their been changes made?

There is now a moon phase displayed as a "% light" 0-100. The higher the % the more light and likelihood of detection in ALL phases of combat. Also a Night Air search phase.

If you play daily turns you can use it to track your wife's mood swings....[X(][;)]

Captain Cruft

Post by Captain Cruft »

Cool about the types.

I realise there is no chance of a screenshot or a list but perhaps we could have a couple of examples of the new types?
Grotius

Post by Grotius »

Elf, thanks for all your responses.

In your description of the cool-sounding new training system, you mentioned "named" pilots. Will there be any change to how many pilots bear the name of historical pilots? As I recall, WITP takes some of its pilot names from historical sources, but not all. Will the database of named pilots be any larger in AE?
TheElf

Post by TheElf »

ORIGINAL: csatahajos
1 Do you plan to remove the base air activity numbers or whatever it is called that gave away free intel on what the other side just moved in to the base?

Yes, “Air balance” is limited to current player.
2 Also what about stacking limits for airfields? Do you implement something along the lines of what is planned for naval ports?
Service ratings are really the control for this. AV Support is more efficient when they are at leat a 1 to 1 ratio of A/C to AV support. Once you exceed that A/C will be less likely to repair quickly. With the new ratings you'll not want to exceed your own AV support. Oh and there is less AV support around...it all adds ups.

3 Are CV attack numbers toned down a bit (sortie points or what it's called at the moment - so it really is ahistorical when a CV group can pound a base for days and also when a CV can launch it's VT squad for uncounted torp attacks, when in reality most CVs did not have in stock more than 36 fishes.)
Torpedoes are tracked now.

TheElf

Post by TheElf »

Cool about the types.

I realise there is no chance of a screenshot or a list but perhaps we could have a couple of examples of the new types?
See 6 posts above this one.

The only really unique new Types are the TAC RECON and the ATTACK BOMBERS. THe other LBA are divided only for basing restrictions etc.

TAC RECON - Fighters that can carry Cameras and perform Recon.

ATTACK BOMBERS - Think Kenney's 5th AF. These are the strafers, masthead attacks, and Parafraggers. They will be mostly limited to units in the 5th AF.

Essentially the 5th was the only numbered AF that operated regularly this way, so we have made them a special unit of sorts by limiting Attack bomber variants to units in this command. You can still order other units to perform low level attacks, but without large numbers of forward firing .50s AAA will cause higher attrition and FATIGUE.

TheElf

Post by TheElf »

ORIGINAL: Grotius

Elf, thanks for all your responses.

In your description of the cool-sounding new training system, you mentioned "named" pilots. Will there be any change to how many pilots bear the name of historical pilots? As I recall, WITP takes some of its pilot names from historical sources, but not all. Will the database of named pilots be any larger in AE?
It depends. We have not gotten to this part of the OoB yet. More later. But yes I'd like to address this. Most of all this would take a lot of time and energy to research. Something that we part-timers have very little of...

ChezDaJez

Post by ChezDaJez »

Cool about the types.

Unfortunately, the list has not been finalized for the Japanese aircraft as yet. I can't speak for the Allied aircraft.

But, in a nutshell, if a Japanese aircraft model was in operational use (i.e. assigned to a active unit), it will be there. Several late-war X-types are being considered on a case by case basis but no definite decision has been made as to exactly which ones. Some will be included, some will not.

The bottom line is that we are striving for historical accuracy versus including a large number of "what-ifs". There will be plenty of room for modders to include their favorite dream planes.

Chez
Ret Navy AWCS (1972-1998)
VP-5, Jacksonville, Fl 1973-78
ASW Ops Center, Rota, Spain 1978-81
VP-40, Mt View, Ca 1981-87
Patrol Wing 10, Mt View, CA 1987-90
ASW Ops Center, Adak, Ak 1990-92
NRD Seattle 1992-96
VP-46, Whidbey Isl, Wa 1996-98
Captain Cruft

Post by Captain Cruft »

I've just realised something.

With that many more plane types the Japanese production system must have been somewhat revised. Presumably the upcoming "Map" thread is the place to ask about that though ...
Dixie

Post by Dixie »

ORIGINAL: TheElf

Yes each Air phase will require the player to plan meals for his Aircrew if they are flying over 4 hexes. Menus are:

Rotten fish heads with weevils and rice

OR

Salted mystery meat and rusty canned pinapple water.

Ooooh, extra micromanagement [:D]

Will this be moddable to allow Horlicks tablets and melted chocolate for the RAF? [&:]

I had a real question too, what missions is the Lysander going to be able to perform?
[center]Image

Bigger boys stole my sig
TheElf

Post by TheElf »

ORIGINAL: Dixie

Yes each Air phase will require the player to plan meals for his Aircrew if they are flying over 4 hexes. Menus are:

OR

Will this be moddable to allow Horlicks tablets and melted chocolate for the RAF? [&:]

I had a real question too, what missions is the Lysander going to be able to perform?
Off the top, the Lysander is a Light Bomber so it will be able to conduct offensive operation with a normal load from level 3 AFs.

Sardaukar

Post by Sardaukar »

ORIGINAL: Dixie

OR

Off the top, the Lysander is a Light Bomber so it will be able to conduct offensive operation with a normal load from level 3 AFs.

Like flying supplies to French Resistance ? [:D]
"To meaningless French Idealism, Liberty, Fraternity and Equality...we answer with German Realism, Infantry, Cavalry and Artillery" -Prince von Bülov, 1870-

Brady

Post by Brady »

" Night Air search phase "
&nbsp;
&nbsp;WOOHOO![:)]
&nbsp;
Torpedo's, Tracked for alunits or just CV's, I supose each CV will have a number they can carry dependenbt on Class? What about AV's?
[center]Image[/center]

Beta Team Member for:

WPO
PC
CF
AE
WiTE

Obi-wan Kenobi said it best: A lot of the reality we perceive depend on our point of view

Return to “War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition”