AE Land and AI Issues [OUTDATED]

This new stand alone release based on the legendary War in the Pacific from 2 by 3 Games adds significant improvements and changes to enhance game play, improve realism, and increase historical accuracy. With dozens of new features, new art, and engine improvements, War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition brings you the most realistic and immersive WWII Pacific Theater wargame ever!

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

Andy Mac

RE: Admirals Edition Land Thread

Post by Andy Mac »

Had it confirmed by the gurus repairs do not use supply only base construction uses supply(af,port,forts).
Andy Mac

Post by Andy Mac »

Actually you should thank Pauk/PZB/SPrior and Chex for putting up with the lack of turns over the last few weeks which I concentrated on this !!!!.

We have a long way still to go but we are getting there and I think you will all love it when its out !!!!
treespider

Post by treespider »

ORIGINAL: Andy Mac

Grotius - I am going to hold off explaining the new hex movement system for now as it is still being testede and reviewed there are a few quirks that are quite nice that I may end up claiming are by design and I dont want to give the game away until I am sure of where we will end up [:D][:D]

I'd have to say it was all by design...[;)]
Here's a link to:
Treespider's Grand Campaign of DBB

"It is not the critic who counts, .... The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena..." T. Roosevelt, Paris, 1910
Andy Mac

Post by Andy Mac »

I am going to name no names but we have a superb coder, great ORBAT gurus and a former team leader hanging about who did a lot of the new land system thinking - I happen to be the one here answering questions but this has been a huge time comittment from a lot of people and we aim to please
WingedIncubus

Post by WingedIncubus »

If ground movement becomes "hexside", how ground combat will be changed? IIRC, hexside movement introduces the possibility of flanking attacks. Will AE bring WitP closer to a TOAW-like design as far as ground warfare is concerned? If yes, can you reveal a few of the design changes to make us drool more?

After all, even if each hex represents 40 nautical miles, it is still a huge area that can take days to cross in 1day/turn. So, it makes me curious to know what will change. :)
Andy Mac

Post by Andy Mac »

OK just to be clear we did not re write the land combat model that was beyond the scope its still the same mechanics defend, bombard, shock attack deliberate attack.

Exploitation has changed and hex owership and the hex edges but it is still a hex based game where units need to be in the same hex to interact.

What is different is that each hex side is also now controlled and it is the hex edge that controls retreats, movement and supply.

But this is still being tested so can I ask for patience on this point.

Andy
Andy Mac

Post by Andy Mac »

Flanking attacks at macro level will be more possible because of the reduced map scale and slower movement but not as an in hex attack option.

Heading home keep the questions coming I will be back online in 2 hours
Captain Cruft

Post by Captain Cruft »

Awesome! I love Strategic Transfer [:D]

Do rail lines affect normal land movement at all now? Are they perhaps considered as Trails or Roads or is it reduced to the factors of the under-lying terrain type?
Apollo11

Post by Apollo11 »

Hi all,

I was "redirected" from "Air" subforum to here regarding my FLAK questions... As it can be evident from many many tests I made in WitP months and years ago (and published here at the forum with quite big discussion following those) I am very interested in following issues:

FLAK Gap (and similarily related stuff)...

#1 (2005)
"IMPORTANT: Huge undefended "empty" zone in AA..."
tm.asp?m=960298

#2 (2006)
"Humble request for Don and Joe regarding AA WitP programming..."
tm.asp?m=1131500

#3 (2007) - Most recent thread:
The Flak Gap
tm.asp?m=1461551

Can someone please answer, if possible of course, whether those issues were tackled?

Many thanks in advance!

Leo "Apollo11"

Prior Preparation & Planning Prevents Pathetically Poor Performance!

A & B: WitW, WitE, WbtS, GGWaW, GGWaW2-AWD, HttR, CotA, BftB, CF
P: UV, WitP, WitP-AE
Erik Rutins

Post by Erik Rutins »

I don't know if it's in yet, but I know Joe discussed this with me and there was a solution for the flak gap in the works.
Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.
Apollo11

Post by Apollo11 »

Hi all,
ORIGINAL: Erik Rutins

I don't know if it's in yet, but I know Joe discussed this with me and there was a solution for the flak gap in the works.

Thanks Erik!

I will keep my fingers crossed... [:)]

Leo "Apollo11"

Prior Preparation & Planning Prevents Pathetically Poor Performance!

A & B: WitW, WitE, WbtS, GGWaW, GGWaW2-AWD, HttR, CotA, BftB, CF
P: UV, WitP, WitP-AE
treespider

Post by treespider »

I think the proposal was to make it fuzzy....
Here's a link to:

"It is not the critic who counts, .... The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena..." T. Roosevelt, Paris, 1910
BigJ62

Post by BigJ62 »

Hexside control:

Allied unit in hex "A" and av is 40+ and no enemy in hex, result is allied unit controls hex and all interior hexsides.

Japanese unit in adjacent hex "B" east of allied unit, same conditions as above.

Allied unit moves at half speed because it is in operations mode "Combat" moves east crossing the Japaneses' west hexside changing it from enemy to friendly control. The allied unit is not allowed to cross any interior hexside that is enemy controled, movement restrictions become more severe for retreating units so, if the allied unit is defeated it must retreat only across friendly hexsides and away from the enemy(had to be this way due to retreat pathing problems) and toward a friendly base if any of these conditions are not met the unit is destroyed.

Same situation except there are two allied units and a river between the two hexes, the first allied unit must shock attack because the opposing hexside is enemy controled however the second unit does not have to shock attack because hexside control has changed at this point.

There are many other possibile situations.

p.s. On land we calculate distance at 46.03 st miles which equals 40nm. When marching rails are considered similar to Witp1 "Trails" but less than minor roads. Operations modes effect movement, combat, fatigue and recovery(fatigue, disruption, disablement and morale).

btw treespider originally designed the hexside control stuff however we did make a few some small changes.
Witp-AE
AeAi…AeAi …AeAi…Long live AeAi.
treespider

Post by treespider »

ORIGINAL: BigJ62

Hexside control:

Allied unit in hex "A" and av is 40+ and no enemy in hex, result is allied unit controls hex and all interior hexsides.

Japanese unit in adjacent hex "B" east of allied unit, same conditions as above.

Allied unit moves at half speed because it is in operations mode "Combat" moves east crossing the Japaneses' west hexside changing it from enemy to friendly control. The allied unit is not allowed to cross any interior hexside that is enemy controled, movement restrictions become more severe for retreating units so, if the allied unit is defeated it must retreat only across friendly hexsides and away from the enemy(had to be this way due to retreat pathing problems) and toward a friendly base if any of these conditions are not met the unit is destroyed.

So picture each hex as a room with six doors (hexsides)...if you are the only person in the room you can leave the room through any of the six doors...however if someone enters the room you no longer control the door through which they entered...you either have to force them back through the door or leave the room through a door you control.
Here's a link to:

treespider

Post by treespider »

ORIGINAL: BigJ62

btw treespider originally designed the hexside control stuff however we did make a few some small changes.

I can't wait to see what they are...
Here's a link to:

Andy Mac

Post by Andy Mac »

OK back temporarily BigJ62 explained new hex stuff I am still playing with retreats and sup[ply movement is some circumstances but in essence what he said is whats in.

Flak not sure I will need to check it was a long time ago
Andy Mac

Post by Andy Mac »

There are so many new things its impossible to keep em all straight [:D][:D]

But the one I think you will all love the most ...... its a toss up between the new editor and the new map.

On ORBATS we have done a lot of work to give a taster we now have three categories of unit disbands with different rules for each

1. Mandatory Withdraw (cannot be stopped by PP's) i.e. 7th Armoured Bde heading to the Middle East devices in these units leave the theatre with the unit.
2. Mandatory Disband (i.e. 267th Indian Armoured Bde, most Dutch units) devices for these units go to the pool and may be redeployed. on the disband date.
3. Optional Disband - want to remove a few units to free up replacements - well now you can it requires the unit to be in akey base or have a LOT of supply to prevent cut off bases disbanding and in some cases costs VP's but it is allowed !!!!.

The options are more relevant for the allies

Andy Mac

Post by Andy Mac »

p.s sorry to be clear none of the above can be stopped by PP's but you do get a report showing when they occur
Knavey

Post by Knavey »

Andy,

You said we could free up replacements by disbanding units.  There must have been some massive changes to how units draw replacements because I have no shortage of replacements in the pools.  It just seems that it takes forever for one to get drawn out of the pool.

Has the draw system been changed so much that we may be experiencing shortages in the ground unit replacement pools?
x-Nuc twidget
CVN-71
USN 87-93
"Going slow in the fast direction"
Brady

Post by Brady »

Garasion requirements in China and their efects on game play...Have these been looked at?
[center]Image[/center]

Beta Team Member for:

WPO
PC
CF
AE
WiTE

Obi-wan Kenobi said it best: A lot of the reality we perceive depend on our point of view

Return to “War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition”