Pacific Grand Strategy Games

Gamers can also use this forum to chat about any game related subject, news, rumours etc.

Moderator: maddog986

Fintilgin

Pacific Grand Strategy Games

Post by Fintilgin »

Does anyone know if there are any Pacific 'grand strategy' games around for the computer other than Pacific War/War in the Pacific? I own both those games, and frankly the former strikes me as almost too clunky to play now and the later is way too insanely complex and lengthy. (I've got GG:WaW too, but it wasn't to my taste.)

What I'd really like is something a step or so up from Strategic Command, but similar in ease of play and game length. Y'know, Pearl Harbor -> Hiroshima in a couple long sittings.

I don't suppose anything like this exists, does it? Clash of Steel, SC2, C:EAW, everyone always focuses on Europe, Europe, Europe. It's kinda frustrating.
Erik Rutins

RE: Pacific Grand Strategy Games

Post by Erik Rutins »

Did you try A World Divided? The sequel to GGWAW includes a lot of improvements that IMHO help the Pacific side of the war a LOT vs. the original.
Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.
freeboy

Post by freeboy »

well, if you don't like gg works that Erik recommended, there are current and in developement, which will be free add on scenarios.. for Advanced tactics.. plays uniquely and intuitively imo
"Tanks forward"
JudgeDredd

Post by JudgeDredd »

I don't know if it fits for you, but there is Paradox HoI2 (Hearts of Iron). I think it's a fantastic game, but larger scale than simply the Pacific...more world domination Grand Strategy...but the game is very good (not without it's problems...but great fun).

http://www.paradoxplaza.com/index.php?o ... Itemid=144

Also there is a Doomsday addon (cheap too) which takes the game into the 50's
http://www.paradoxplaza.com/index.php?o ... Itemid=145

And another addon (again, cheap) that takes it past where Doomsday left off...

They are great games. Some people don't like them because they are pretty ahistorical. I like them because of that. You can play as any one of 175 countries. It doesn't have the depth of WitP, but there's a lot going on.
Alba gu' brath
ravinhood

Post by ravinhood »

Just FYI there is a patch for SC2 that now INCLUDES the Pacific side of the war. You might want to look at that. Everything has been tweaked in the 1.08 patch and there's lots more to play with now insteand of the usual just Western/Eastern/N. Africa game. It's a lot less complex and a lot more fun. imho. :) And also in mho the computer wargaming industry highly neglects the Pacific side of the war. I've wanted a land based Guadacanal game since I first got a computer back in 1982 and I'm still waiting for a good one. Only two have touched on it and that was The Perfect Generals online edition and Pacific Generals attempt at it. I want a grand/strategy/tactical scale game of it though like from those guys that make COG and FOF. ;)
WE/I WANT 1:1 or something even 1:2 death animations in the KOIOS PANZER COMMAND SERIES don't forget Erik! ;) and Floating Paratroopers We grew up with Minor, Marginal and Decisive victories why rock the boat with Marginal, Decisive and Legendary?

Neilster

Post by Neilster »

World in Flames will be released about the middle of next year. It's a global grand strategy game but you can play the Pacific only if you like.

tt.asp?forumid=110

Cheers, Neilster
Cheers, Neilster
Fintilgin

Post by Fintilgin »

I haven't tried a World Divided.  The massive provinces rub me the wrong way.  I don't doubt it's a good game, but it just dosen't seem like it's for me.  A little too 'Risk', I like the tactics of actually performing encirclements and moving my individual units. GG:WAW is a touch too abstract to keep my attention.

I've got Hearts of Iron and all the other Paradox Games. 

An Advanced Tactics mod might be good, if the AI can handle it.  I do have SC2, and I've looked at the World Wide scenario briefly, but my understanding is the AI just can't manage the Pacific side of things at this point.

I'm intrigued by World in Flames, but I'm worried it will be a little too clunky/boardgamey for me to have fun with. 

Maybe we'll get a Commander: Pacific at War or something, at some point.

Oh well, I guess I was hoping I'd somehow missed something, but it sounds like I've got or tried most of the games on the subjects.  Thanks, guys, I guess I'll keep waiting and messing around with the games I've got. :)

Return to “General Discussion”