TOAW FiTE vs WiR2

Norm Koger's The Operational Art of War III is the next game in the award-winning Operational Art of War game series. TOAW3 is updated and enhanced version of the TOAW: Century of Warfare game series. TOAW3 is a turn based game covering operational warfare from 1850-2015. Game scale is from 2.5km to 50km and half day to full week turns. TOAW3 scenarios have been designed by over 70 designers and included over 130 scenarios. TOAW3 comes complete with a full game editor.

Moderators: JAMiAM, ralphtricky

DeadInThrench

TOAW FiTE vs WiR2

Post by DeadInThrench »

I dunno how many of you all here are aware that, in the War In Russia forums, it was announced that 2x3 games plans to start working on an new eastern front game as soon as they are done with their American Civil War game, which is expected to be around the first of the new year.

And, it was announced that they would NOT be doing a remake of WiR. So, given the direction of greater complexity they went to when they went from Pacific War to War in the Pacific, one would expect that it would at least be a divisional level game, but most likely regimental with batallion and company supporting units. In other words, the same scale as FiTE. Also, one would expect there would be many scenarios, not just the full campaign but medium sized scenarios like Case White and also smaller ones like Smolensk '41.

And, one would expect that they would have their chain of command, leaders, and a good production model (which is needed for extended campaigns like FiTE).

Now, let me just say here that, if it wasn't for Norm Koger, then the ONLY designer out there that I would have consistent respect for his designs, would be Gary Grigsby. War In Russia, Steel Panthers, etc, etc.

But, on the other hand, at least for now I do not have the time for monster games like FiTE. Still, would probably want the new Grigsby game for the smaller and intermediate sized scenarios.

IMO, the TOAW team, has gotta decide to what extent they want to support scenarios like FiTE, or they will not be competitive on regimental level eastern front once this new game comes out (which will probably not be for a year).

Again, I do not myself have time for the monster games (including War in the Pacific) but, just thought I'd post this here FYI and any comments anyone might have.

Any??

DiT

P.S. Yeah, I would like to see TOAW continually upgraded, rather than obsoleted. Got no problem paying for these updates as a TOAW4 or whatever. Still, will probably get the new Grigsby game once it is out, for the smaller and intermediate sized scenarios.

Return to “Norm Koger's The Operational Art Of War III”