Download the Game Assistance Program (GAP)

Empires in Arms is the computer version of Australian Design Group classic board game. Empires in Arms is a seven player game of grand strategy set during the Napoleonic period of 1805-1815. The unit scale is corps level with full diplomatic options

Moderator: MOD_EIA

Erik Rutins

Download the Game Assistance Program (GAP)

Post by Erik Rutins »

Hi everyone, we've uploaded a small installer that sets up the Game Assistance Program (GAP), kindly written by Richard de la Parra (Monadman) for your use. This program handles the major power bid and selection procedure for multi-player PBEM games.

You can grab it here instructions are included and also listed below:

http://www.matrixgames.com/games/downloads.asp?gid=285

THE THREE FILES THAT THE GAP GENERATES:

1. THE BID FILE (.bid), contains the player’s 7 bids, pre-existing war declaration requests, password, and the player’s name and email address. Note: give recognizable names to your bid files (e.g. YourName_GameName.bid) so that the host understands which game it belongs to (he/she may be hosting more than one game and your bids may vary from one game to another depending on the MP your trying to control).

2. THE RESULTS FILE (.txt), which is a text file sent by the host to all clients. It contains the results of bidding; the MP won, VP cost, player name, email address, pre-existing wars, and a list of the individual bids from all 7 players. Note: the MPs listed vertically made the declaration of war.

3. THE SELECTION FILE (.sel) is automatically saved to the folder that the text file was saved to. This is the file that EiANW will use to import. The passwords are NOT encrypted so the host or arbitrator can reference them if needed (Note: for a higher level of security it is recommended that you use a non-playing arbitrator).
Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.
Monadman

RE: Download the Game Assistance Program (GAP)

Post by Monadman »

Bid and Selection Procedure using the GAP:

Enter your name, email address, address confirmation and an 8-letter (lower case) password. The password created during this time is designed to protect the player’s EiANW gamestart file and subsequent turn files throughout play.

In the bid screen, enter your bids for each of the seven major powers. Bids are capped at 30 victory points with any ties broken using a non-repeating random number event. You may not bid the same number twice (i.e. no duplications allowed). Also during the bid procedure, players can choose which pre-existing wars they would declare should they win control of a specific major power. When completed, the player follows the on screen instructions and sends the bid file to either the game host or a non-playing arbitrator, who will use the GAP to compare the bids according to the following order: Great Britain, France, Russia, Austria, Prussia, Spain and Turkey.

The host (or arbitrator) also has the ability of selecting the Britain and France at war option at this time. Afterwards, the host (or arbitrator) will send those results, which are written to a text file, by email to all clients. The major power selection data generated by this program can then be easily imported into EiANW by the host (or arbitrator) of the PBEM game by simply clicking an “import” button found in EiANW (a separate file is created by the GAP for this purpose).

FYI . . .

I’m available to arbitrate one or more PBEM games should any of you be interested and ready to try a PBEM game. Just send me a PM when your seven-member playgroup is formed and I’ll get your game up and running.

Enjoy!

Richard
therockyfroggy

Post by therockyfroggy »

Hi,

Can someone tell me how to run this. I start it and enter my info, then enter my bids and my wars....then what? There's no save bid info button, or send info button...all I can do is close the program and then what? I went into the directory and all there is are 7 player_test.bids. How do I create a bid.

Thanks.
Monadman

Post by Monadman »

ORIGINAL: therockyfroggy

Hi,

Can someone tell me how to run this. I start it and enter my info, then enter my bids and my wars....then what? There's no save bid info button, or send info button...all I can do is close the program and then what? I went into the directory and all there is are 7 player_test.bids. How do I create a bid.

Thanks.

After filling in all seven bids, click the “Save bids” button. It is right below Turkey’s panel.

Richard
therockyfroggy

Post by therockyfroggy »

Ah...I bid the same amount for a few different countries so it wasn't bringing up the SAVE BID button....fixed
Pans

Post by Pans »

Hi Erik,

I´ve downloaded the GAP succesfully and started to place my first bids.
How will the points I spend for bidding were calculated in the game where they were imported?

cheers
Andreas
Monadman

Post by Monadman »

ORIGINAL: Pans

Hi Erik,

I´ve downloaded the GAP succesfully and started to place my first bids.
How will the points I spend for bidding were calculated in the game where they were imported?

cheers
Andreas

Pans,

Section 12.1.1 states: For PBEM games, successful bids for major powers are added to the total needed on the Victory Points Display

Richard
bOrIuM

Post by bOrIuM »

what if two peeps bid the same amount for the same MP ?
Marshall Ellis

Post by Marshall Ellis »

I believe it would simply do a tie breaker die roll but I'm not sure. Are you sure that you can bid identical values?

Thank you

Marshall Ellis
Outflank Strategy War Games

NeverMan

Post by NeverMan »

Why would two different MPs not be able to bid identical values? If the GAP doesn't allow this then something is wrong with the GAP.

You are correct, it should go to a die roll at that point. Of course, if you trust the host you can always have him roll a die for you.

I personally believe that this should just be part of the game (not a seperate program). Bidding is a part of EiA and you shouldn't need 2+ programs to run it. I don't need 2+ programs to run any of my other PC games.
Marshall Ellis

Post by Marshall Ellis »

Neverman:

I'm sorry ... no 2 bid amounts could be the same from ONE player i.e. Bid 10vp for France and 10vp for Great Britain.
Appreciate the correction here! My bad!

Thank you

Marshall Ellis

Jimmer

Post by Jimmer »

I agree with Neverman on it being part of the game. However, I certainly understand holding it off until the rest of the game is essentially stable.

Regarding the bids, yes, if two are tied, the program "rolls" to find out who gets it. I tested this by making the same set of bids multiple times, with a tie designed into the bids. Yes, it changed the order.

By the way, the test I ran was on the easiest nation to design a tie for: Great Britain. I found that, depending on which of the tied people "won", the remaining six could be radically altered.
At LAST! The greatest campaign board game of all time is finally available for the PC. Can my old heart stand the strain?
Marshall Ellis

Post by Marshall Ellis »

Hey guys:

I do have a bidding module in the game but did not finish it when Richard came to me with the GAP. We substituted the GAP. It works well and solved a problem we which was we had no game bidding system.
I will have to revisit my in game bidding since I can support that and I don't think Richard has the bandwidth to help here.

Thank you

Marshall Ellis

bOrIuM

Post by bOrIuM »

Hey guys, I did try with same values for the same MP by 2 different players and the program (im not sure) looked about next values to see if one of the two players can win another bid on another MP. I think it should be like that too... and if not juste do a die ;)
Jimmer

Post by Jimmer »

I agree, Marshall, that that sounds like a good idea. But, again, I wouldn't consider it a top priority.
At LAST! The greatest campaign board game of all time is finally available for the PC. Can my old heart stand the strain?
NeverMan

Post by NeverMan »

ORIGINAL: Marshall Ellis

Hey guys:

I do have a bidding module in the game but did not finish it when Richard came to me with the GAP. We substituted the GAP. It works well and solved a problem we which was we had no game bidding system.
I will have to revisit my in game bidding since I can support that and I don't think Richard has the bandwidth to help here.

I agree with Jimmer that it shouldn't be a top priority; however, needed two seperate programs to run 1 game makes the game appear unprofessional and "displaced" (if you will).
Marshall Ellis

Post by Marshall Ellis »

Neverman:

I agree.
"displaced" is a good description.

Thank you

Marshall Ellis

Return to “Empires in Arms the Napoleonic Wars of 1805 - 1815”