OT Pro Football Sims?

Gamers can also use this forum to chat about any game related subject, news, rumours etc.

Moderator: maddog986

KG Erwin

OT Pro Football Sims?

Post by KG Erwin »

Ok, it may be the wrong place to ask, but I used to have a decent Pro Football sim for the old C64 ("PureStat Football"). Remember, I'm speaking of American-style football, OK? [;)]

So, what's out there? What I'm looking for is a season replay/career sim, with real players/stadiums/teams. Does such a thing exist?
Jliven61

RE: OT Pro Football Sims?

Post by Jliven61 »

KG I would recommend a couple I play.  One is "Second and Ten Football."  In my opinion it has no peer.  Roogames develops the game and the cost is about 20-25 bucks apiece for the pro or college game.  What is great is the pro game comes with 66 free NFL seasons.  The college game comes with the last four seasons and 150 of the greatest college teams ever.  A recent upgrade came with a college rating program that gives customers the opportunity to rate any team they like.  To date I believe customers, or homebrewers if you will, have rated over 300 additional team that are posted and available for anyone to download.

There is a good mod community that has offered stadiums/player photos/sounds/even audio commercials that really enhance the experience.  I just purchased the game in September and could not be happier.  This is a text sim so there are no "moving parts" but the experience and accuracy is simply second to none.

SAT is not for the person who wants to play GM in the sense of setting ticket prices/negotiating salaries, etc.  If you enjoy replays, calling plays, etc. this is for you.

Another is Dave Koch's Action PC Football.  This too is a very good.  APC is more expensive in that you pay for the football game for $44  which does come with the latest season.  Each additional season costs another $20.
APC has a little more eye candy.  You set the lineups, call the plays and then watch the play develop on the field.  Another non GM game.

I would visit each of their websites.  I would also add that customer service for both products is excellent!

Have fun, let me know if you have any questions.

Jeff
ravinhood

Post by ravinhood »

Front Page Sports Football 98 was the last great statistical, career mode, General Manager type game released really. The rest are just wannabe's. Madden Football has all the bells and whistles, but, not realistic results as most games are in the high scores above 30 and the AI has the uncanny ability to come from behind 21 points EVERY game when playing against a human. So FPS Football '98 is your best bet.
WE/I WANT 1:1 or something even 1:2 death animations in the KOIOS PANZER COMMAND SERIES don't forget Erik! ;) and Floating Paratroopers We grew up with Minor, Marginal and Decisive victories why rock the boat with Marginal, Decisive and Legendary?

Erik Rutins

Post by Erik Rutins »

Have you looked at M-F v2 yet?
Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.
KG Erwin

Post by KG Erwin »

ORIGINAL: Erik Rutins

Have you looked at M-F v2 yet?

Erik, to be honest, I DID look at M-F, but it lacks the one thing that is a prerequisite for me -- it does not use real players/teams. I understand the legal hoops that certain sports sims have to jump through, so that's all I'll say about it.
KG Erwin

Post by KG Erwin »

ORIGINAL: Jliven61

KG I would recommend a couple I play.  One is "Second and Ten Football."  In my opinion it has no peer.  Roogames develops the game and the cost is about 20-25 bucks apiece for the pro or college game.  What is great is the pro game comes with 66 free NFL seasons.  The college game comes with the last four seasons and 150 of the greatest college teams ever.  A recent upgrade came with a college rating program that gives customers the opportunity to rate any team they like.  To date I believe customers, or homebrewers if you will, have rated over 300 additional team that are posted and available for anyone to download.

There is a good mod community that has offered stadiums/player photos/sounds/even audio commercials that really enhance the experience.  I just purchased the game in September and could not be happier.  This is a text sim so there are no "moving parts" but the experience and accuracy is simply second to none.

SAT is not for the person who wants to play GM in the sense of setting ticket prices/negotiating salaries, etc.  If you enjoy replays, calling plays, etc. this is for you.

Another is Dave Koch's Action PC Football.  This too is a very good.  APC is more expensive in that you pay for the football game for $44  which does come with the latest season.  Each additional season costs another $20.
APC has a little more eye candy.  You set the lineups, call the plays and then watch the play develop on the field.  Another non GM game.

I would visit each of their websites.  I would also add that customer service for both products is excellent!

Have fun, let me know if you have any questions.

Jeff

Thanks for the info, Jeff. I'll check 'em out.
Challerain

Post by Challerain »

Another one out there is Front Office Football and Front Office Football: The College Years.  Front Office has a demo you can check out.

http://www.solecismic.com/index.php
Zap

Post by Zap »

ORIGINAL: ravinhood

Front Page Sports Football 98 was the last great statistical, career mode, General Manager type game released really. The rest are just wannabe's. Madden Football has all the bells and whistles, but, not realistic results as most games are in the high scores above 30 and the AI has the uncanny ability to come from behind 21 points EVERY game when playing against a human. So FPS Football '98 is your best bet.

Gamespot review- gave it medicore review(lack of improvements over previous version). Did you get all the patches. At least 3 were made.
On Ebay one game for sale; an offer of 1 penny for the game.

KG, I played the strat-omatic board game that was fun. I've looked at the the one offered M-F. But similar to you I want the real players/teams.
JudgeDredd

Post by JudgeDredd »

Madden NFL is the best (read only) football sim out there for the PC.

Although the 2 minute bug (where the AI can claw back touchdown after touchdown even though you held them for the whole game) is still prevailant.

But I know you want a stats game, so I'll bow out [&o]
Alba gu' brath
ravinhood

Post by ravinhood »

ORIGINAL: Zap

ORIGINAL: ravinhood

Gamespot review- gave it medicore review(lack of improvements over previous version). Did you get all the patches. At least 3 were made.
On Ebay one game for sale; an offer of 1 penny for the game.

KG, I played the strat-omatic board game that was fun. I've looked at the the one offered M-F. But similar to you I want the real players/teams.

lol @Gamespot review they have been under the gun lately for only giving good reviews to those that pay them and firing those that don't comply. But, in answer to your question of course I got all the patches, what do you think I am a "Judge Dredd" or something? lol
WE/I WANT 1:1 or something even 1:2 death animations in the KOIOS PANZER COMMAND SERIES don't forget Erik! ;) and Floating Paratroopers We grew up with Minor, Marginal and Decisive victories why rock the boat with Marginal, Decisive and Legendary?

JudgeDredd

Post by JudgeDredd »

KG

Why did you put "OT" in your thread title?

I've seen a few people doing it and I just find it a bit odd, being as this is the "General Discussion" forum. If it was the "General Wargaming Discussion" forum, then I could understand.

Just curious.
Alba gu' brath
PadresFan104

Post by PadresFan104 »

I'd have to second Jeff's motion for SAT as the best Football Replay Sim on the market.  Great AI, great gameplay, all seasons from 1950-2006 come with the game, great mod community, and great customer support.  It's my favorite PC game at the moment. 
PadresFan's Text Sim Mod Website: http://www.padresfanmods.net
Follow Me On Twitter: http://twitter.com/padresfanmods
KG Erwin

Post by KG Erwin »

ORIGINAL: JudgeDredd

KG

Why did you put "OT" in your thread title?

I've seen a few people doing it and I just find it a bit odd, being as this is the "General Discussion" forum. If it was the "General Wargaming Discussion" forum, then I could understand.

Just curious.

JD, I'm really not too keen on using the Matrix Forums to ask about other companies' games, but I made an exception in this case. See below...
KG Erwin

Post by KG Erwin »

ORIGINAL: PadresFan104

I'd have to second Jeff's motion for SAT as the best Football Replay Sim on the market.  Great AI, great gameplay, all seasons from 1950-2006 come with the game, great mod community, and great customer support.  It's my favorite PC game at the moment. 

Well, I tried the evaluation version (which is the complete game), already d/l a bunch of mods, and I'm sold on it.

That being said, I won't mention it on this forum again. SAT has its own support forum, on which I'm now registered.

Thanks for your help, guys. [:)]
ravinhood

Post by ravinhood »

Tell me how you like it KG I might be interested if it's that good. Haven't seen a good one since FPS Football series myself.

Return to “General Discussion”