Uncommon Valor vs War in the Pacific

Uncommon Valor: Campaign for the South Pacific covers the campaigns for New Guinea, New Britain, New Ireland and the Solomon chain.

Moderators: Joel Billings, Tankerace, siRkid

m5000.2006

Uncommon Valor vs War in the Pacific

Post by m5000.2006 »

hi

Does UV have something that WitP doesn't? Or does WitP include UV?

If I'm planning to buy WitP, does it make sense to buy UV too?

regards
"Would you tell me, please, which way I ought to go from here?"
"That depends a good deal on where you want to get to," said the Cat.
"I don't much care where –" said Alice.
"Then it doesn't matter which way you go," said the Cat.
LC
tocaff

RE: Uncommon Valor vs War in the Pacific

Post by tocaff »

UV is the daddy of WITP as both use the same engine.  UV is a smaller scale (focused) and WITP is the whole enchilada.  There are features in WITP that UV doesn't have.
Todd

I never thought that doing an AAR would be so time consuming and difficult.
www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=2080768
Canoerebel

Post by Canoerebel »

UV covers the Solomons and Coral Sea from 5/1/42 to 12/31/43.  WitP covers the entire Pacific/Indian theaters (the campaign scenarios, that is) from 12/7/41 to 3/31/46.  (There are scenarios of more limited scope and time).  Thus, WitP is a much more massive game and takes much more time to play.  But most of us former UV players find it much more satisfying.  The scale give sthe player much more ability to create nifty strategy and to be surprised by your opponent's nifty strategy. 

"Rats set fire to Mr. Cooper’s store in Fort Valley. No damage done." Columbus (Ga) Enquirer-Sun, October 2, 1880.
Ike99

Post by Ike99 »

hi

Does UV have something that WitP doesn't? Or does WitP include UV?

If I'm planning to buy WitP, does it make sense to buy UV too?

regards

Yeah, UV has fonts large enough that you don´t get a headache after looking at them for more than 5 minutes.

UV also gives you a good chance to finish a game, in this decade.

WITP
is more like work than anything. Save some money and get UV. You´ll get more enjoyment out of it. WITP is a game that I believe is more admired than actually played.

¨If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine.¨ Che Guevara

The more I know people, the more I like my dog.
Mart777

Post by Mart777 »

I would have to agree with Ike99 on this, I too own both. The only draw back of UV being the fact that once you experience the added features of WITP you wish you had them in UV.

Which game I would recommend if really pushed would be WITP, with UV you miss the extra control. UV is a game you can play for a few hours, WITP is more of a major commitment.

The ultimate experience is and will always be WITP against another human player. The issues around time required to play can be nullified if you PBEM anyway. WITP is without doubt the better game but really it all comes down to player commitment, you get out what you put in.

Now my confession, I play UV more than WITP it fits better in to the time I can commit to play. I don't keep track of my orders or note down ideas for attacks or movement of forces so when I return to WITP I often find myself lost and restart. Playing the shorter scenarios is the solution to my problem but if you got the whole Pacific War you want to play the whole Pacific War.

Take from this what you will, seems like the ramblings of an idiot to me, the better game is WITP but don't buy it just to fill a corner of your hard drive. Play it and you will be rewarded with years of enjoyment.[;)]

Ike99

Post by Ike99 »

Now my confession, I play UV more than WITP it fits better in to the time I can commit to play. I don't keep track of my orders or note down ideas for attacks or movement of forces so when I return to WITP I often find myself lost and restart.

Well there you have it m5000.2006.

You can buy a game for $30 that you´ll actually play and finish.

OR

Spend $75 for another that 99.9% chance you won´t do either. [:D][:D][:D]

But really. Don´t believe if you buy UV you´ll be let down or something because you won´t. Honestly I think you should try UV first anyways to see if you even like the game and it´s engine. If you do, then I´d take the plunge into WITP.
¨If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine.¨ Che Guevara

The more I know people, the more I like my dog.
Nomad

Post by Nomad »

I am playing both games. I like UV because of its size and scale. It is much easier and as pointed out, you can finish a game where in WitP you would probably be about one forth of the way through a game. UV stands on its own very well and is an interesting game to play. I too find WitP to be work at times. Lots of work.
BB56

Post by BB56 »

I started on UV and moved to WITP after it came out and have finshed 2 games against the Japanese AI and have started a 3rd.   I'm also going to go back to playing UV, just for a change of pace.

So, I'd buy UV first and if you like it but want more, then buy WITP.  Just my 2 cents worth.

Return to “Uncommon Valor - Campaign for the South Pacific”