OT Drunkest US cities

Gamers can also use this forum to chat about any game related subject, news, rumours etc.

Moderator: maddog986

Zap

OT Drunkest US cities

Post by Zap »

I noticed that many of the top cities are in cold country. People can't get out as much to be active might be a good reason for this.

And what about Europe? I know there is some heavy drinking going on there. I could not find a list of cities for Europe.

Each city was ranked in five areas: state laws, number of drinkers, number of heavy drinkers, number of binge drinkers and alcoholism. Each area was assigned a ranking in each category, based on quantitative data, and all five categories were then totaled to produce a final score, which was sorted to produce our rankings.
1 Milwaukee
2 Minneapolis-St. Paul
3 Columbus
4 Boston
5 Austin
6 Chicago
7 Cleveland
8 Pittsburgh
9 Philadelphia
10 Providence
11 St. Louis
12 San Antonio
13 Seattle
14 Las Vegas
15 Denver/Boulder
16 Cincinnati
17 Kansas City
18 Houston
19 Portland
20 San Francisco-Oakland
21 Washington-Baltimore
22 Phoenix
23 Los Angeles
24 New Orleans
25 Tampa
26 Norfolk
27 Dallas-Fort Worth
28 Atlanta
29 Detroit
30 Indianapolis
31 Orlando
32 New York
33 Miami
34 Charlotte
35 Nashville
MrBoats

RE: OT Drunkest US cities

Post by MrBoats »

None of them have anything on Binghamton, NY -- I went to college there and will never forget the ratio of bars to populace. It's a grim, colorless city in the winter.
Zap

Post by Zap »

Mr. Boats,
A lot of the college party towns did not make the top of the list. But here's, what they said about Milwuakee

"Milwaukee ranks high for its drinking habits across the board. According to data from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention's Behavioral Risk Factor Surveillance System Survey 2004, more than 70 percent of adult Milwaukeeans reported that they had had at least one alcoholic drink within the past 30 days — the highest percentage on our list. Twenty-two percent of Milwaukee respondents confessed to binge drinking, or having five or more drinks on one occasion--also the highest on our list. And 7.5 percent of the population were reported as heavy drinkers — adult men that have more than two drinks per day, or adult women who have more than one drink per day."

HansBolter

Post by HansBolter »

The list has to be bogus if it omitted Gainseville, Florida.
Hans

HansBolter

Post by HansBolter »

ORIGINAL: Zap

And 7.5 percent of the population were reported as heavy drinkers — adult men that have more than two drinks per day, or adult women who have more than one drink per day."

Typical sexist double standard.
Hans

Barthheart

Post by Barthheart »

You Yanks got nothtin on us Canuks!!![:D]
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty & well preserved body,
but rather to skid in broadside, totally worn out & proclaiming "WOW, what a ride!"
Zap

Post by Zap »

ORIGINAL: Barthheart

I,m sure, that your right. And Europe could say the same

American publications, like "Forbes Magazine" and others are into making list. Like the "richest zip codes" ,"Ten most dirty cities" ect. These magazines need to fill up space with what they think people want to read. This kind of list's focus is the more popular direction they take today.

JudgeDredd

Post by JudgeDredd »

Statistics [8|]

The bane of any sensible persons life!
Alba gu' brath
Zap

Post by Zap »

I'm not a fan of statistics myself. But right now in America, in many circles, people live and die by them.
JudgeDredd

Post by JudgeDredd »

Hi Zap

That is the problem with statistics...people not using them for what they are and "living and dying" by them. Statistics can be handy, but out of context and taken too literally, can be damaging in all walks of life...imo [:D]

They are always interesting. It isn't statistics that I have a problem with...my problem is with how people use them. Especially people in a position to use them intelligently and don't.
Alba gu' brath
HansBolter

Post by HansBolter »

ORIGINAL: Barthheart

Especially in light of the newest politically correct idiocy in the news.

Have you seen the news that Canadian beer fridges are "endangering the planet"?

I posted a response that the amount of fossil fuels being burned and the amount of geeenhouse gas being produced to generate energy being wasted on throwing light into the night sky needlessly polluting the sky with light and creating harmful glare has been estimated to exceed $1.5 billion dollars a year in the U.S. alone, and far, far outweighs any environmental impact Canadian beer fridges could ever have.

If these politically correct, junk science influenced do gooders really cared about minimizing human impact on the environment they would stop making mountains out of molehills and jump on the DarkSky bandwagon by visiting www.darksky.org and educating themselves regarding the facts.
Hans

morvwilson

Post by morvwilson »

Here's what we do when it snows:

ImageAttachment (1)

Did you guys see this post in the white xmas thread? I think he is over producing methane![:D]

On the other hand... wait some one took my tequila!!!
http://www.outskirtspress.com/Feud_MichaelWilson

Courage is not measured by the presence of fear, but by what a person does when they are scared!
Yogi the Great

Post by Yogi the Great »

I noticed that many of the top cities are in cold country. People can't get out as much to be active might be a good reason for this.

And what about Europe? I know there is some heavy drinking going on there. I could not find a list of cities for Europe.

Each city was ranked in five areas: state laws, number of drinkers, number of heavy drinkers, number of binge drinkers and alcoholism. Each area was assigned a ranking in each category, based on quantitative data, and all five categories were then totaled to produce a final score, which was sorted to produce our rankings.

1 Milwaukee

WE'RE NUMBER ONE!
WE'RE NUMBER ONE!
ON WISCONSIN!

Quite a few years ago, Playboy ranked colleges for drinking and partyying - The number one college had an asterix behind it. The note below said actually the University of Wisconsin is number one, but we don't rate professionals with amateurs.

Hooked Since AH Gettysburg
BAL

Post by BAL »

ORIGINAL: morvwilson

ImageAttachment (1)

Did you guys see this post in the white xmas thread? I think he is over producing methane![:D]

That is a disturbing photo.
I'll try being nicer if you try being less stupid. - anon
YohanTM2

Post by YohanTM2 »

Damn, glad someone finally found Major Victory's Pappy
ORIGINAL: BAL

ORIGINAL: morvwilson

ImageAttachment (1)

That is a disturbing photo.
WYBaugh

Post by WYBaugh »

ORIGINAL: HansBolter

And 7.5 percent of the population were reported as heavy drinkers — adult men that have more than two drinks per day, or adult women who have more than one drink per day."

Typical sexist double standard.

Go Gators!!!

Return to “General Discussion”