Jipped by Lahman

PureSim Baseball is the ultimate baseball fan's toy, with support for both casual and hardcore baseball fans.

Moderator: puresimmer

Frozen Stiffer

Jipped by Lahman

Post by Frozen Stiffer »

Just for fun, I was pondering starting a historical association playing as the 1993 Florida Marlins to see how long it would take me to win a world series. I didn't end up really playing it, deciding that I was already running too many associations to add another, but there was one interesting detail that I noticed...

In 1993, the Florida Marlins had Trevor Hoffman as their closer. About halfway through the year (June 23 to be exact), Hoffman, Jose Martinez and Andres Berumen were traded to the Padres for Rich Rodriguez and Gary Sheffield. Sheffield played 67 games for San Diego that year, 66 for Florida; in comparison, Hoffman pitched 35.7 innings for the fish, 54.3 for the friars. Since they both technically played more for San Diego (even though Sheffield was only in 1 more game with San Diego than with Florida) when Puresim drew from the Lahman database, it put BOTH guys with San Diego. As I'm sure you can imagine, if losing Trevor Hoffman as a closer wasn't frustrating enough, not getting Sheffield in return didn't help!

I admit that I don't know if this oversight is a Lahman fault, a Puresim fault, a repairable fault, or even a fault AT ALL. Either way, I can't think of how to solve this or avoid something like this from happening.

My solution was to manually place Sheffield with the Marlins by modifying the details through Player Card -> Edit Bio then cut a scrub to make room. San Diego was left on their own to find a filler. That worked, but does nothing to prevent it from happening in the first place. I don't know if this has happened to anyone else, or if anyone else has noticed it. I just wanted to share this and see what discussion it may breed.

[:)]
"It ain't braggin' if you can do it."

-Hall of Fame pitcher Jerome 'Dizzy' Dean
KG Erwin

RE: Jipped by Lahman

Post by KG Erwin »

There's something else about Lahman that bugs me. The primary/secondary positions for many players are wrong (especially OFs). I noticed this when I set up a 1947 template. I manually edited every team in that association, which resulted in better AI lineup choices.

Return to “PureSim Baseball”