Computer Gamers under Attack Again,,,

Gamers can also use this forum to chat about any game related subject, news, rumours etc.

Moderator: maddog986

anvl

Computer Gamers under Attack Again,,,

Post by anvl »

Sheesh,, Baby Grace,, a sad story,,, The news just found out the parents met whilst playing World of Warcraft... CBS Morning show is suggesting this tragedy happened because the parents were too wrapped up in virtual reality,,and the child got in the way...

I bet both parents eat bread,, I see no reporting on the violence of making bread,, aarg,, those beaters mixing all that dough,, the poor yeast being scalded by boiling water!!! Bread has to be the real cause for this!!

[:D][:D][8|]

another reality is how restrictive the law is on drinking whilst driving,, the minimums keep getting lower,, People are finding it really dangerous to go out to the local pub and have a beer,,, thus the rise in virtual reality on line,, as a place to meet people,, safely.. hehe,, until the tv shows turn this into a sick realworld situation as well.. ya just cannot win unless you live in a cave,and have no interreaction with anybody...

anvil
Deus subrisum stultusi et ferrari
ravinhood

RE: Computer Gamers under Attack Again,,,

Post by ravinhood »

Thing is anvl if one group of parents are doin it there's others as well. But, it's not the games fault though it is part of the equation it is not the sum of it. It's just selfishness of the individuals or the couples. If it wasn't WoW it would have been something else more like it. Parents that are neglectful will be neglectful no matter what they use as a source.
WE/I WANT 1:1 or something even 1:2 death animations in the KOIOS PANZER COMMAND SERIES don't forget Erik! ;) and Floating Paratroopers We grew up with Minor, Marginal and Decisive victories why rock the boat with Marginal, Decisive and Legendary?

morvwilson

Post by morvwilson »

ORIGINAL: ravinhood

Thing is anvl if one group of parents are doin it there's others as well. But, it's not the games fault though it is part of the equation it is not the sum of it. It's just selfishness of the individuals or the couples. If it wasn't WoW it would have been something else more like it. Parents that are neglectful will be neglectful no matter what they use as a source.
Are you suggesting that there is some personal responsibility here?[X(]
That is not how today's media works ravin, you know that.
It's always someone else's fault no matter what goes wrong![8|]
(prowd parent of three here
http://www.outskirtspress.com/Feud_MichaelWilson

Courage is not measured by the presence of fear, but by what a person does when they are scared!
anvl

Post by anvl »

yea,, strange times we live in...

Raven,, I agree completely,, people will do whatever they will do,, to blame something exterior is just a product of our times.

I read good article yesterday or so that we live in the "Age of the Victim". Literally no one takes responsibility for their own actions,,but seeks to put the blame elsewhere...It was a good article,,that put other words to my take on things...

morvwilson,, like you said...

hehe I raised two girls, and did it with no TV,, how unAmerican can you get.. sheesh,, horses,puppies,kitties,x-country skiing,home canned food, the whole bit..

they turned out pretty well too!![8D]

anvil [;)] [:)]
ravinhood

Post by ravinhood »

ORIGINAL: morvwilson

Are you suggesting that there is some personal responsibility here?[X(]
That is not how today's media works ravin, you know that.
It's always someone else's fault no matter what goes wrong![8|]
(prowd parent of three here

I find another problem in todays families and even I wasn't taught this growing up is "taking and learning responsibility when you are a child". This is something I taught my child growing up.

You ever watch "King of Queens" or "Everybody Loves Raymond"?? Two shows that show the males as being totally irresponsibile. King of Queens is the worst, but, this last episode of it where they had mold found Karrie/Carrie however you spell it was also irresponsible as she spent $1000's on name brand clothes and of course had a reason for it. I think there should be a class in school that teaches "responsibility" I think maybe that is home-eco though right? lol I took that in highschool and there were only 3 guys in the class. lol We didn't take it to learn responsibility I can tell yah that much. ;)
WE/I WANT 1:1 or something even 1:2 death animations in the KOIOS PANZER COMMAND SERIES don't forget Erik! ;) and Floating Paratroopers We grew up with Minor, Marginal and Decisive victories why rock the boat with Marginal, Decisive and Legendary?

Brigz

Post by Brigz »

More of the same:

Ban booze and there will be no drunks.
Ban drugs and there will be no drug problem.
Ban guns and there will be no murders.

Personal responsibility? Fugidaboutit.[&:]
“You're only young once but you can be immature for as long as you want”
cdbeck

Post by cdbeck »

I love the old Archie Bunker quote from All in the Family.

When faced with the large numer of people killed by gun violence, Bunker replied, "Would youse rather they be pushed out windows?"

[:D]

Seriously, this reminds me of all the arguments about "censoring violent game content" because games are "for kids." Of course, these people never seem to care that games ARE rated, and game retailers are not supposed to sell M rated games to minors. Nevermind all the PARENTS who don't bother researching the game ratings or the game's contents and buy GTA for their 10 year old, then freak out when they see little junior killing hookers. So they ask the government to act like a parent, so they don't have to. Well, we all know that when you make the government your parent, you also make it your master.

SoM
"Neca eos omnes. Deus suos agnoscet!"
(Kill them all. God will know his own.)

-- Arnaud-Armaury, the Albigensian Crusade
Kuokkanen

Post by Kuokkanen »

Sheesh,, Baby Grace,, a sad story,,, The news just found out the parents met whilst playing World of Warcraft... CBS Morning show is suggesting this tragedy happened because the parents were too wrapped up in virtual reality,,and the child got in the way...
Did child got in the way of parents or what do you mean? [&:]

Seriously, this reminds me of all the arguments about "censoring violent game content" because games are "for kids." Of course, these people never seem to care that games ARE rated, and game retailers are not supposed to sell M rated games to minors. Nevermind all the PARENTS who don't bother researching the game ratings or the game's contents and buy GTA for their 10 year old, then freak out when they see little junior killing hookers. So they ask the government to act like a parent, so they don't have to.
Does this happen anywhere else than in America? [:D]
You know what they say, don't you? About how us MechWarriors are the modern knights, how warfare has become civilized now that we have to abide by conventions and rules of war. Don't believe it.

MekWars
SemperAugustus

Post by SemperAugustus »

I suppose the virtual reality of comics or videos doesn't scare people as much as in the 1950s and 1980s...
SireChaos

Post by SireChaos »

*snip*
Does this happen anywhere else than in America? [:D]

Certainly.

Every time there´s been a school shooting here in Germany (and we thankfully have *very* few of those), the same predictable group of politicians cries "BAN VIDEO GAMES!"

And I agree with the previous posters. It´s just too easy to cry "evil video games" (just like it was "evil rock and roll music" the generation before), rather than to actually spend time with your kids, show them you really care about them and are interested in how they are doing.

Lastly, there´s a hypothesis I´ve been toying around with... namely that, rather than pointing to "violent" video games as cause for violent behavior, one should look at it the other way around: that people who are disposed towards violent behavior also play violent video games for the violence part (so, violence causes games instead of games cause violence), and that people who are not disposed towards violent behavior play less violent games, or play violent games only because they have some other parts that appeal to them.
cdbeck

Post by cdbeck »

ORIGINAL: SemperAugustus

I suppose the virtual reality of comics or videos doesn't scare people as much as in the 1950s and 1980s...

It was only in 2001 that Marvel broke with the Comics Code Authority and as of 2007, DC and Archie Comics still submit some of their titles for approval. That code was as draconian, stifling, and arbitrary as one could imagine, and I believe we should work hard to prevent this type of nonsense in gaming.

SoM
"Neca eos omnes. Deus suos agnoscet!"
(Kill them all. God will know his own.)

-- Arnaud-Armaury, the Albigensian Crusade
06 Maestro

Post by 06 Maestro »

I am of the opinion that life imitates art-or games. However, this does not justify censorship. A good rating system should be enough to allow responsible people to make the correct choices for their children. If they are irresponsible? What can you do to help them anyway.
Banking establishments are more dangerous than standing armies.

Thomas Jefferson

morvwilson

Post by morvwilson »

Try this exorcise.
Point at some one else and say its their fault, then look at your hand. One finger pointing at them and three others pointing at you![:D]
If you are the head of your household, then everything in it is your responsibility.

BTW, as a side note for those of you who run into teachers at school that think that parents don't know how to teach. It is my belief that parenting is a 24/7 job that only ends about two weeks after you are pushing up daisies!
http://www.outskirtspress.com/Feud_MichaelWilson

Courage is not measured by the presence of fear, but by what a person does when they are scared!
SemperAugustus

Post by SemperAugustus »

ORIGINAL: Son_of_Montfort
It was only in 2001 that Marvel broke with the Comics Code Authority and as of 2007, DC and Archie Comics still submit some of their titles for approval. That code was as draconian, stifling, and arbitrary as one could imagine, and I believe we should work hard to prevent this type of nonsense in gaming.
SoM

Sounds like you are on to something there. Let's blame Marvel instead!
RangerX3X

Post by RangerX3X »

In America, is there some kind of federal law that requires game makers to subscribe to the game ratings? Or can a developer say screw you and publish their game without a rating? I know Holy Than Thou companies that are at the beck and call of any offended individual (Wal-Mart) would not carry it, but if the content is available online, why would anyone care other than not being able to mind their own business?

And who has any right to tell another person what they should think, feel, hear, do, experience, etc. but for the concept of group control over an individual that can only come about from mob rule?
Kuokkanen

Post by Kuokkanen »

ORIGINAL: RangerX3X

Or can a developer say screw you and publish their game without a rating? I know Holy Than Thou companies that are at the beck and call of any offended individual (Wal-Mart) would not carry it, but if the content is available online, why would anyone care other than not being able to mind their own business?
Does Matrix have official statement regarding this? Are games released by Matrix rated and do they need to be rated? Does Matrix have content requirements of their own (regarding violence, sexual activities and other) that developers must follow?

But it is possible for dev team to sell its games individually on-line without any connections to publishers (like Matrix) or stores (Wal-Mart, Prisma etc.). Best example is Valve with its Steam service, but it can be done with just WWW-page that asks for credit card info, or with PayPal.
You know what they say, don't you? About how us MechWarriors are the modern knights, how warfare has become civilized now that we have to abide by conventions and rules of war. Don't believe it.

MekWars
anvl

Post by anvl »

Matti Kuokkanen,,

yup,, the implication on the national news was that the parents offed the child because it infringed upon their "game playing time" sheesh...

ravenhood,,

you do realize that the only major group in the U.S. that it is politically correct,,no,, Mandatory to bash,demean,show max prejudiced to is the good ole, White,Middle Class Male?

The latest thing on our national news is that Massachusetts is trying to pass a bill making it against the law to spank any child under 18!! Their logic for this massive invasion of parental rights is the passing of the law for child restraints in cars!!! now that logic really passes me by... Oh.. and i am sure there will be no state responsibility for disciplining kids.. Parents will still be the responsible party!! talk about a no win solution!!

I have no doubt this will be a great deterrent for driveby shootings and school shootings!!

I am sure the only state intervention will be to make an example of a Kid Shooter,,and then they will decide that that 12 year old is truly an adult!!

sheesh...

anvil
ravinhood

Post by ravinhood »

Actually it was stated today the reason they "accidentally" killed her was because she didn't say "please" and "yes sir" to the guy. Imagine that killing the child because she wasn't learning her MANNERS.

Mass. has always been a bit bassackards. Isn't that the state with same sex marriage now? I'm just glad I only have a few more years to go. At the pace and path America is going now you can imagine how rediculous people are going to be 100 years from this date. You'll have to wear a balloon and can't say anything to anyone for fear of being sued. Going OT on a forum will get you 10 to 20 lol

Kuokkanen

Post by Kuokkanen »

At the pace and path America is going now...
It's not just America! Check this out [X(]
http://www.gamespot.com/news/6183016.html

That also demonstrates that politicians can't always have their way, so there is still some hope for humanity

MekWars
Charles2222

Post by Charles2222 »

Actually it was stated today the reason they "accidentally" killed her was because she didn't say "please" and "yes sir" to the guy. Imagine that killing the child because she wasn't learning her MANNERS.

Mass. has always been a bit bassackards. Isn't that the state with same sex marriage now? I'm just glad I only have a few more years to go. At the pace and path America is going now you can imagine how rediculous people are going to be 100 years from this date. You'll have to wear a balloon and can't say anything to anyone for fear of being sued. Going OT on a forum will get you 10 to 20 lol

That last sentence really worries you personally doesn't it?

Return to “General Discussion”