Production Question

Discuss and post your mods and scenarios here for others to download.

Moderator: Vic

geozero

Production Question

Post by geozero »

From the Armchair General review:

[center]All production happens immediately at the end of a turn, so a carrier or battleship is built just as quickly as a rifle unit.[/center]

Is this correct? In a strategic level game is there a way to set longer production times to certain types, live CV's or LRB's?
JUST SAY NO... To Hideous Graphics.
Panzeh

RE: Production Question

Post by Panzeh »

There's no way to set a subunit to have a fixed buildtime but you can make it expensive enough that a fraction will be made each turn most of the time. If you can't assign enough production points to build a subunit you can produce it on the 'installment plan' and it will be produced over a series of turns.

It's probably not what you're looking for though.
PDiFolco

Post by PDiFolco »

Well it has to be made *very* expensive to take several turns to complete, as there are 10,000 points capitols.
The game production system is not meant to have buildtimes, the only alternative I see for that is replacing the usual direct production of units with action cards (costing pp) that can have event code to calculate buildtimes.
PDF
Vic

Post by Vic »

ORIGINAL: geozero

From the Armchair General review:

[center]All production happens immediately at the end of a turn, so a carrier or battleship is built just as quickly as a rifle unit.[/center]

Is this correct? In a strategic level game is there a way to set longer production times to certain types, live CV's or LRB's?

It is possible to design a scenario where you would need X ammounts of turns to complete any Item. It is simply a question of setting the Prod Cost of an Item Type higher then the Prod Points the Location Type that can produce that Item Type has.
Visit www.vrdesigns.net for the latest news, polls, screenshots and blogs on Shadow Empire, Decisive Campaigns and Advanced Tactics
geozero

Post by geozero »

So, say I have a strategic level game of WW2, where I have turns that equal one week, would it then be able to handle production of men, tanks, ships, etc with different "wait" times, so that CV's or BB's would take 1-2 years, versus a tank unit that would take 3 months?

I like the fact that once you are committed to building something that will take a long time, might affect how you plan things out...

Along the same thinking, if there's a unit in production (say its a tank unit with 12 weeks time to build), and at week 7 I decide that I don't want the unit anymore, is there a way to recoup the difference in the production points that it cost to build?   Example:  A tank unit takes 12 weeks (or turns) to build with a production cost of 120 points...then seven weeks later I realise that I need men fast to plug some holes in the front lines.  Could I issue a cancel production and get back the prod. points difference which would be 50 points???

I'm thinking of a hybrid game between the SPI Global War and HOI2 style...

Thanks...
Vic

Post by Vic »

hi geozero,

no you could not get the prodpoints back if you cancel a production line. You could scale it back temporarily to 0% and use the other 3 production lines of a town to produce something else.

what i would do if i would want to design a scenario as you are describing is make different locationtypes for different types of production.

instead of towns of differing sizes that can produce anything i would for example make:

Shipwarfs that have 1000 prod points and Battleships that have 10.000 prod cost.
Factories that have 1000 prod points and Tank Groups that have 5.000 prod cost.
Recruitment Centers that have 1000 prod points and Infantry Groups that have 2.000 prod cost.

Actually in a scenario such as this the Production Multiplier for an ItemType will come in handy... because it will allow you to let the production of 1 ItemType create for example 100x Rifle or 20x Tank.

Kind regards,
Vic
Visit www.vrdesigns.net for the latest news, polls, screenshots and blogs on Shadow Empire, Decisive Campaigns and Advanced Tactics
geozero

Post by geozero »

Vic, thanks...

In your example then, it would take 5 factories to build that one tank group, correct?  Would 10 factories be able to build that Battleship? Or can ship building be restricted solely to shipwarfs?
Vic

Post by Vic »

Production in AT is location based.

There is no Regime Pool of prod points or something like you see in most other games.

So in my example the factory would take 5 turns to complete a tank group.
If i had 5 factories in germany then it would take them all 5 turns to complete a tank group each.

geozero

Post by geozero »

But can the factories build ships, or are those only buildable in wharfs?
Vic

Post by Vic »

It all depends on how you design the scenario.

You can make a loctype (template for locations) called "shipwarf" that can only produce ships or only subs or only aircraft for example.

kind regards,
vic
geozero

Post by geozero »

Awesome...thanks Vic...I know I'm asking a lot of questions... rest assured you're swaying me into buying this game...arrrggghhh....[:D]

Return to “Mods and Scenarios”