Be aware of virus protection...

Gary Grigsby's strategic level wargame covering the entire War in the Pacific from 1941 to 1945 or beyond.

Moderators: Joel Billings, wdolson, Don Bowen, mogami

joliverlay

RE: Be aware of virus protection...

Post by joliverlay »

no not on version 1.804.
rtrapasso

Post by rtrapasso »

ORIGINAL: joliverlay

no not on version 1.804.
OK - that explains it... it is the witprec.exe file that is being reported as being "infected". Not sure why Terminus isn't getting the error, though... [&:]
joliverlay

Post by joliverlay »

I wonder if he got the patch from a different source than everbody else. It sounds like he is an "insider".

If it really does work for him and he uses the same version of AVG we should compare the saved patch files (zipped and unzipped).

Erik Rutins

Post by Erik Rutins »

I started seeing the same thing on a system with AVG and the witprec file. All I can say is that it is a falst positive, as you all should know - there is no trojan that suddenly appeared in WITP. The best way to resolve this is generally to report the false positive back to the anti-virus company.
Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.
Terminus

Post by Terminus »

ORIGINAL: joliverlay

I wonder if he got the patch from a different source than everbody else. It sounds like he is an "insider".

If it really does work for him and he uses the same version of AVG we should compare the saved patch files (zipped and unzipped).

As per the other thread on the subject, it's happened to me as well now.
We are all dreams of the Giant Space Butterfly.
hunchback77

Post by hunchback77 »

I sent the file to AVG Antivirus and they have confirmed it is a False Positve. They will fix it within one of the upcoming Priority updates of AVG Antivirus.
Terminus

Post by Terminus »

Very nice![&o]
ChezDaJez

Post by ChezDaJez »

Ditto.

Same here and best of all, McAfee is free for Comcast users plus they keep it updated.

Chez
Ret Navy AWCS (1972-1998)
VP-5, Jacksonville, Fl 1973-78
ASW Ops Center, Rota, Spain 1978-81
VP-40, Mt View, Ca 1981-87
Patrol Wing 10, Mt View, CA 1987-90
ASW Ops Center, Adak, Ak 1990-92
NRD Seattle 1992-96
VP-46, Whidbey Isl, Wa 1996-98
TulliusDetritus

Post by TulliusDetritus »

Only one "[&o]", Terminus? [8D] hunchback77 deserves at least 3 "[&o][&o][&o]" [:)]
"Hitler is a horrible sexual degenerate, a dangerous fool" - Mussolini, circa 1934
Terminus

Post by Terminus »

My fault... [&o][&o][&o][&o][&o]
rtrapasso

Post by rtrapasso »

ORIGINAL: hunchback77

I sent the file to AVG Antivirus and they have confirmed it is a False Positve. They will fix it within one of the upcoming Priority updates of AVG Antivirus.

Great - in the meantime, AVG has trashed all my installations of WITP - it removed witprec.exe from all my test installations and my regular ones as well (i think that is 8 different installations on 2 machines). [:@]

i've tried restoring witprec.exe from the "Virus Vault" - and now i get fatal error 998 (not 999) [:@]
castor troy

Post by castor troy »

ORIGINAL: rtrapasso

Great - in the meantime, AVG has trashed all my installations of WITP - it removed witprec.exe from all my test installations and my regular ones as well (i think that is 8 different installations on 2 machines). [:@]

i've tried restoring witprec.exe from the "Virus Vault" - and now i get fatal error 998 (not 999) [:@]

no matter what programme I would kill it from my hard drive if it would wreck my WITP installation! Glad Norton only causes problems when it´s auto update is running. But it doesn´t help me if my PBEM opponent uses AVG as well and I don´t receive turns... [:(]
rtrapasso

Post by rtrapasso »

ORIGINAL: castor troy

ORIGINAL: rtrapasso

no matter what programme I would kill it from my hard drive if it would wreck my WITP installation! Glad Norton only causes problems when it´s auto update is running. But it doesn´t help me if my PBEM opponent uses AVG as well and I don´t receive turns... [:(]

AVG did say (according to another post) that they are going to fix it with a priority upgrade.

Norton has screwed up my machine before, so it's gone and won't be back.

In the meantime, i'm trying to figure out how to restore witprec.exe - might require a new installation, and i am not looking forward to that.
TulliusDetritus

Post by TulliusDetritus »

0:48 am here. Just a little stop by to say that I have updated AVG right now. AND... "Fatal Error 999" has disappeared. Therefore AVG has fixed the problem (as promised).
"Hitler is a horrible sexual degenerate, a dangerous fool" - Mussolini, circa 1934
1275psi

Post by 1275psi »

man I Hope this is fixed -Im a computer brick -it took me ALL DAY to work out how to reload the game, and the Andrew brown mod -so now I know what caused the 999 error -I might have been one of the first -AVG updated, and I crashed straight after -I lost in the reinstall a game against the AI 18 months in[:(][:@][:@][:@]
fingers crossed -AVG is a great program -hope the support is as good as you say.
big seas, fast ships, life tastes better with salt
pauk

Post by pauk »

same here. AVG[:@]...

ok, what do i need now - install 1.0 version, than go to 1.804 and after that upgrade to 1.806 ?
wernerpruckner

Post by wernerpruckner »

hi pauk,

do NOT deinstall !!!!
turn of the AVG when you start WitP

if you deinstall you´ll get huge problems reinstalling the game.....
pauk

Post by pauk »

i quit AVG but got the same message...[:(]
wernerpruckner

Post by wernerpruckner »

I have desinstalled WitP and later re-installed it.
On my CD I have 1.40.....no problem, runs just fine, even with AVG on
patch 1.804 ( comprehensive ) ..... only installable with turned of AVG for me...it is playable with AVG off
patch 1.806.....here I get always either error 999 or error 818 ( and I tried it on two PCs and a laptop for at least 10 times...)

so for me it means in my PBEMs either 1.804 or waiting for HELP with 1.806 or better
pauk

Post by pauk »

I've just deinstaled WITP and installed game again. Didn't worked at all. Then i deinstalled game, and looked in the WiTP folder but all files were there?!?!

Now I'm trying again...phew (after removing WITP folder with rude 'delete option'

Return to “War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945”